Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2018 2:18:36 PM EDT
Any features on handguards better/worse for a "precision" build?  Free floated, obviously.

Plan VLTOR MUR upper.  JP gas block I plan to use says min 1.75" ID needed.  No FSB to worry about getting over (will only use scope, no front sights).

Will mount a bipod, but that is all (don't need tons of rails etc).  Need to be able to hold it and rest it on a sandbag and use a shooting sling (some of the time)

Will be a shooting from bench/prone gun, so weight isn't critical.

Plan scope mounts to all be on the upper receiver, no optics on the guard.

Don't mind spending money if needed, but if there would be no change in accuracy from one to another I wouldn't mind saving a little either.

I like the look of the round/cylinder but I've never purchased handguards so I'm not sure what to look for.  Recommendations?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 12:10:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#1]
Just about any modern modular free float tube with a top rail and ability to mount a short rail where you want it will do fine for a precision rifle as long as you are not trying to do a true clone.

I'm still running a now discontinued Daniel Defense MFR 12.0.  Now the cool kids run similar rails in M-Lok mounting.  Some still Key Mod.

The barrel is Lilja's 16" M4 Navy SEAL Recce.

Because my accessories are all Picatinny. and I rarely run anything other than a bipod,  I never "upgraded."  As long as the rail attaches firmly, is free floated, can handle abuse and resistant to flex, get what you like.  I like the uncluttered, slick, relatively thick, strong, round tube design.

Link Posted: 8/3/2018 12:20:04 AM EDT
[#2]
There's lots of good options now, my favorite is Geissele. You can torque the barrel but to any spec you want and the rail always lines up. The mount system is very solid and the rail itself is built extremely well.

MK4 and MK8 are a bit bigger and heavier, and the MK13 and MK14 are slimmer and lighter.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 6:37:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Most handguards are slimmer than 1.75" ID. They are in the 1.3"-1.5" range. I would recommend going with a lower profile gas block.

I've used two different JP gas blocks and they both sucked anyways.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 7:47:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I think the Seekins triangular rails stand out if you ever find yourself shooting from a rest or a bag.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 10:15:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks.

Was going to use a JP block because they seem to be the most commonly recommended.  What is better?  What didn't you like about the JPs?

I'm leaning toward a Bartlein barrel Link and the match barrels are .875 or .936 at the gas block.  I was thinking the .936 to keep the barrel thicker/stiffer.  Thus the ID requirement.

Good thought on the triangular type guard.  I like the look of the round ones, but something with a flat bottom would be more stable on a rest/bag.
Hard to find a lot of details, like the Seekins guards don't really show good pictures or cross sections on the website.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 10:40:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lennyo3034] [#6]
My .936 gas block is aluminum. It also required me to tap the adjustment screw hole through the opening in the gas tube which is ridiculous. I also didn't like how the adjustment screw was on the side and unaccessable without taking the handguard off.

The .750 gas block has a brass set screw that seized, but the adjustment screw still turns so it can't be trusted to not back out during a match.

I've had good luck with SLR although they will also seize up.

Superlative has not seized up but you may lose a bit of velocity.

I'm currently using Wojtek gas blocks and haven't had an issue. Although I have not tested to see if they seized or not.

ETA: if you need a .936 block I'll sell you my JP at extreme discount or a spare wojtek I have lying around.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 11:25:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Lenny, thanks.  Good info.

Will be a while before I get the barrel and need a block.  I like the concept of the SLR blocks.

I'm not TOO worried about seizing as I figure I'll adjust it to my load (or just to Federal Gold Medal Match until I get a load worked out) and then I don't anticipate ever changing it.  I won't be putting suppressors on/off etc.

Didn't think about the side adjustment.  Obviously still planning but I anticipate the block will extend past the handguard since I'll have a rifle length gas system.  I does make sense to have them adjust from the front.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 11:35:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Seizing isn't really a huge issue. I also set it and forget. The annoyance comes when you go through barrels quickly. So now you're paying $100+ for a new gas block on top of the cost for a new barrel. That's part of the reason I'm switching to Wojtek, even if it does seize, it's much cheaper to replace.

If you expect the barrel to last you a while, I wouldn't worry about seizing.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 10:40:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wile_coyote] [#9]
I have liked all the SLR handguards I have.

The Intrepid has a full length at the top and bottom. Only thing mounted on the bottom is the bipod,  nothing on top. The bottom resting on certain surfaces without rail covers may be an issue as any bottom rail would possibly be. The Solo has full length on top,  but only segments that are part of the handguard (not mounted by KeyMod or MLok) at the bottom and sides at the front/muzzle end of the handguard. The shape is smooth and comfortable and would work well in most situations. The Imtrepid is on my 6.5 Creedmoor and the Solo is on my 6 Creedmoor. Both extend past the gas blocks.

I liked them enough that I bought an Ion for another build. This is top rail only with a segment mounted on the bottom of the front/muzzle end by keymod in my case. Something other than a bipod will go there,  if not I'll remove it. It's going on a 458.

All are well made. The Ion is pretty light.

I have a Seekins SP3R V3 on my Grendel. It's real nice and the flat bottom works well.  Bipod is mounted by a rail segment attached. Everything on all have been rock solid. It extends past the gas block.

I also went with SLR adjustable gas blocks. They've worked very well, I just clean them well every now and then. These are the only adjustable gas blocks I've used so I can't provide info on any others. SLR's have worked so well,  I've never thought of replacing them. The 6.5 C is .936 with the 6 C being .875. 6.5 I have a Rainier Ultramatch barrel and the 6 C is a Wilson Combat Match barrel. Both are very accurate,  the Wilson is a fast barrel. The Grendel uses a standard non-adjustable gas block on a Satern barrel that has worked very well. I have a Wilson Combat adjustable gas block that I bought for another project, but decided it doesn't need adjustability. It's sitting new in its box and is one that uses a straight gas tube.

Seekins or SLR wouldn't be bad choices. I've tried or run a bunch of other handguards, but these are the ones that fit and worked for me.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 4:40:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Midwest Industries makes some fatter handguards designed to fit over suppressors.

That said, I was able to make a PSA slim handguard fit over a 936 gas block by "massaging" the block and the inside of the guard with a file and a dremel.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 9:48:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all the good info!

I think the Seekins SP3R is in my future
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 11:01:43 AM EDT
[#12]
bootleg
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 2:38:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By soulman:
Thanks for all the good info!

I think the Seekins SP3R is in my future
View Quote
Good choice. Seekins makes some nice stuff.

The SP3R on my Grendel. It has a lot of Seekins components (upper, lower,  handguard & scope mount).

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 6:37:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lennyo3034:
My .936 gas block is aluminum. It also required me to tap the adjustment screw hole through the opening in the gas tube which is ridiculous. I also didn't like how the adjustment screw was on the side and unaccessable without taking the handguard off.

The .750 gas block has a brass set screw that seized, but the adjustment screw still turns so it can't be trusted to not back out during a match.

I've had good luck with SLR although they will also seize up.

Superlative has not seized up but you may lose a bit of velocity.

I'm currently using Wojtek gas blocks and haven't had an issue. Although I have not tested to see if they seized or not.

ETA: if you need a .936 block I'll sell you my JP at extreme discount or a spare wojtek I have lying around.
View Quote
I am personally using a Geissele 15 inch Mk8 rail on my 6.5 grendel build. Seems to have gently of room for most has blocks. Still actually looking for a good adjustable gas block.

@Lennyo3034
I don't want to detail the thread, but how do you like the Wojtek gas block? It was recommended to me before, but other than a few people on Reddit, I haven't seen anyone that has used one. Any problems with adjustment or gas leaking?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top