Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2015 3:13:28 PM EDT
Hello All,

I have taken an interest in some longer distance shooting then 100-200 yards which is what most of my hunting is done at. I have a Winchester Model 70 7 Rem Mag that I bought in 1999.  The gun is fine and I have killed quite  a few Mule deer bucks with it. I reload for it and it is currently a 1 moa rifle with nosler 150 grain bullets and IMR 4350 powder. It sits in a wood stock that has been glass beaded and the trigger pull is very crisp with little uptake at 3.5 pounds. The scope is a leupold Vari x 3 4.5x14.

I have been thinking of putting it into a synthetic stock with possibly a new barrel. If I do the new barrel route what steps do I need to take to insure the best accuracy in a rebuild. True the receiver and bolt face? It seems with my search skills that their isn't much options for Win model 70 action in the stock world. I can spend around 600.00 dollars for the barrel and not sure what a decent stock costs, or any truing work. I am open to any and all suggestions. The recoil of the 7mm doesn't bother me and can sit down and shot 40-60 rounds in an afternoon which I have done before with no apparent lose in groups comparing first targets to last. I also understand that 7mm can be a good long distance caliber
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:37:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Lots of stock options. I would use a Manners hunting stock with a high comb and a #5 or Light Palma barrel. It would be a heavy hunting rifle or a light long range gun.

If you're going to be reloading, look into 7LRM.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:41:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Truing runs about $250, and you want to make sure whoever does it has a coaxial fixture like GreTan's and can single point threads.

I would recommend Manners as well. Very well built solid stocks, though if you don't want to spend that kind of coin, Bell and Carlsons are an excellent value.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:35:42 PM EDT
[#3]
How much experimenting have you done with your loads?  The fact that your stock is already glass bedded leads me to believe you won't see that much improvement with a new stock.  A barrel might be an improvement, and at that point your bedding will be useless, so a new stock would be needed, or rebed the current setup.  1 moa is actually pretty decent, you might see an improvement with your current setup by switching to berger bullets.  I like the classic hunter bullets, they are less sensitive to seating depth than the hunter VLD bullets.  Moving to bergers was a game changer in my 300 win mag, shrunk the groups a good bit. I bought a hornady cartridge overall length gauge so I could determine the length at with the bullets engaged the rifling.  I've found that I can load the classic hunter bullets at length for the mag and get good accuracy, but I need to load the VLD's at longer length to achieve the same results.  In my experience, the bergers are more accurate than Noslers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top