Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2018 1:08:56 AM EDT
I just picked up a Savage 10 PC 308 and I would like to replace the stock. I'm pretty new to the bolt gun game so where do I start here?

I know it's a bottom bolt release style, accutrigger, AccuStock, etc.

Can I get some uber tacticool deal? What about an ultralight stock?

Thanks for your help!
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 1:18:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Halo05] [#1]
I actually just upgraded my Savage model 11 stock from a cheap plastic stock without bedding to an accustock. Took it to the range last weekend and shot a .3” group at 80 yards and 175 grain federal GMM.

My next question would be, why get rid of the accustock? It’s actually an outstanding stock, but maybe not the coolest looking.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 2:01:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I did a Bell & Carlson MA40 stock on mine.  I then sent it to CDI to have them install their bottom metal so I could use AICS pattern magazines.
It was a 'middle ground' stock in terms of cost and design/style.  I've been quite happy with it.

But I also have a Stealth BA in 6.5 creed so that came with a chassis stock.  If I hadn't had that, I MIGHT have looked more towards a chassis for the 308...

Link Posted: 2/21/2018 9:49:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DamnYank:
I did a Bell & Carlson MA40 stock on mine.  I then sent it to CDI to have them install their bottom metal so I could use AICS pattern magazines.
It was a 'middle ground' stock in terms of cost and design/style.  I've been quite happy with it.

But I also have a Stealth BA in 6.5 creed so that came with a chassis stock.  If I hadn't had that, I MIGHT have looked more towards a chassis for the 308...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8c0mp5dttige7j1/20170427_230844.jpg?raw=1
View Quote
This is also what I used for my Model 10.  Without putting out a decent amount more money I don't think you can go wrong with B&C.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 10:43:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a 6.5-284 on a Choate with CDI bottom metal and a 6.5-284 on an Accustock.  Both with X-Caliber barrels.  Both shoot consistent 2 inch @500 yard groups.  Choate build is about 2 lbs heavier.  Needless to say I hunt with the Accustock..

Doesn’t get much better than an Accustock.  Money best spent elsewhere.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 12:50:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I think some people are just intent on spending money even when it isn't necessary.  The Accu-Stock is great, it has an aluminum skeleton like all the high dollar stocks.   More expensive does not equal more better.

Happy Trails!
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 1:22:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Halo05] [#6]
Originally Posted By EvilVaquero:
I think some people are just intent on spending money even when it isn't necessary.  The Accu-Stock is great, it has an aluminum skeleton like all the high dollar stocks.   More expensive does not equal more better.

Happy Trails!
View Quote
Agreed! I think the reason people change stocks is that back in the day, the first thing you did to a rifle was change out the stock for a better one - and you saw tangible improvements. These days, manufacturers are making very good stocks straight from the factory. I’m not expert, but I’d guess the accustock is 95% of the way to a custom stock. I can’t imagine a custom stock improving much on a gun that already shoots .5 MOA.

OP, if your heart is set on a custom stock, by all means go for it. I just wanted to present you with an alternative and maybe save you some money (to use on ammo!) :)
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 3:59:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I tried a Choate stock and it went back.  Too heavy and just not the quality or feel I wanted (even though it was quite inexpensive).
For me this is a range gun, no carrying around for hunting so some weight above the Accustock was ok.
The Accustock was fine, just not what I wanted for the rifles use and my preferred ergonomics.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 12:25:34 PM EDT
[#8]
As I said before, an Accu-Stock is just fine for shooting...delivering excellent accuracy.  A Choate is a meh stock, IMHO, between cheap and so-so.    If you want a really good stock, try an HS Precision or a Manners stock.  I have an HS Precision on my Remington 308 that I use at 1000 yards...yes, I hit the target.  yes it is a truly excellent stock.

Again, just my opinion.  No offense intended.    (Bell and Carlson is even better that Choate)  Again, no offense.

Happy Trails.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 12:42:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By seaskidoo:
I just picked up a Savage 10 PC 308 and I would like to replace the stock. I'm pretty new to the bolt gun game so where do I start here?

I know it's a bottom bolt release style, accutrigger, AccuStock, etc.

Can I get some uber tacticool deal? What about an ultralight stock?

Thanks for your help!
View Quote
You aren't likely to improve accuracy over an accustock, and you won't find a quality stock that is lighter...  but, if you just want to get rid of the "cheap" feel of the accustock, I'd recommend a Bell & Carlson M40 and have it inlet for new bottom metal...
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 12:59:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DamnYank] [#10]
The post above succinctly covers why I made the changes noted in my prior posts.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 6:35:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By DamnYank:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8c0mp5dttige7j1/20170427_230844.jpg?raw=1
View Quote
Does it have the CDI bolt release mod for the Savage bottom bolt release? If so, how do you like it? Does the modified release move when you fire the rifle? Is it noticeable or does it ever hang up or cause a failure to fire? I've been looking at it for my rifle but have questions about it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 5:51:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By LuckyC:

Does it have the CDI bolt release mod for the Savage bottom bolt release? If so, how do you like it? Does the modified release move when you fire the rifle? Is it noticeable or does it ever hang up or cause a failure to fire? I've been looking at it for my rifle but have questions about it.
View Quote
Yes it does have the bottom release.  It seems to function fine and I've had no issues with it.  It tucks up away into the cut out pretty well - never had a hang up or failure to fire.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top