Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2015 6:29:22 PM EDT
Well, yesterday I pulled my action out of the stock that the rifle came with to adjust my trigger pull. The stock is all plastic, no aluminum pillars or anything. I didn't think Remington would make a gun with such a crappy stock, I am really disappointed in them. So I am on the search for a better stock that won't break the bank. Maybe a bell and Carlson. Anyone have any suggestions for a inexpensive but quality stock?
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 7:06:07 PM EDT
[#1]
That's one area that makes the SPS line so cheap - the stock. What's your price range? I like both B&C and HS Precision.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 7:20:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm looking to spend around 200, I really would like to spend less. Unfortunately the ones I like are around 300+ like the B&C medalist. I was also wondering if glass bedding a hogue overmolded stock was something I could do. But I am a noob so I don't know if that is even an option.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 11:09:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Khromo] [#3]
Bedding injection molded stocks is usually a waste of effort because it is very hard to get a decent mechanical lock or bond between the plastic stock and the epoxy.  Some guys bed pillars in there and get some life out of it, but it is kind of like putting lipstick on a pig.  There isn't enough plastic material around the bolt channel to get a really strong mounting bed in there.

Those stocks flex too much.  They are great for carrying your barreled action from the gun store to your garage, where you can start to figure out what you want to replace them with!

Here are a few suggestions that are well within your price range.  The composite stock has an aluminum block that will probably fit fairly well.  The laminated stocks are rigid, a little heavy, but very serviceable if they fit you.  They can easily be pillar bedded using the kits sold at the same website.

https://www.stockysstocks.com/stock-finder/remington/model-700/hinged-floorplate/heavy-varmint-barrel/stocky-s-new-long-range-composite-stock-remington-700-painted.html

https://www.stockysstocks.com/stock-finder/remington/model-700/hinged-floorplate/heavy-varmint-barrel/bobby-hart-long-range-target-tactical-lrt-remington-700-bdl-savage-10-12-4-40-laminated-heavy-barrel-riflestocks-right-left-hand-models.html

That second link looks like it may not want to work.  Go to the Stocky's site and search for "  bobby-hart-long-range-target-tactical-lrt-remington-700-bdl  " and you should find it.

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 11:10:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Khromo] [#4]
Boyd's has some very inexpensive, useable stocks for even less money.  They need a little tinkering and fitting in some cases, but they are a great improvement over the funky SPS stocks.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/?utm_campaign=eletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=NewWebsite

That link may not work.  Search "Boyd's Gunstocks" and you will find it.

I think Remington figures a lot of the SPS rifles will get replacement stocks, and they manage to get 700's into the hands of a lot of shooters for not much money.  I would prefer if they offered the bare barreled actions, but I don't slam Remington.  I've got a few SPS models and they all shoot honest, consistent, five-shot groups inside an inch at 100 yards.  Sub-MOA, regularly, for way under a grand.  Okay.

If you look hard, you may find a H-S Precision "5R take-off" for $200 or a few bucks more.  Install a Karsten cheek rest and you are ready for anything!

Good luck with your search!
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 12:05:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Check the Hide for some 700 HS precision or B&C take offs. My 700p stock may be on there soon as I'd like to outfit my remaining short action with another Manners T4A. If you search around you should be able to find something in the 200$ range. Note: the palm swell for the 700p/ltr takeoffs are a bit larger than ones for a 700 VS. I believe the 5R stock has the same palm swell as the VS/senderos but I'm not 100% sure on that. I haven't used the B&C stocks (which are newer to Remington IIRC), but I've been very pleased with the HS precision (both styles). Either the B&C or HS will be a huge upgrade.

The stock is the price difference between their 500$ guns and the 800$ dollar guns.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 12:21:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:
Check the Hide for some 700 HS precision or B&C take offs. My 700p stock may be on there soon as I'd like to outfit my remaining short action with another Manners T4A. If you search around you should be able to find something in the 200$ range. Note: the palm swell for the 700p/ltr takeoffs are a bit larger than ones for a 700 VS. I believe the 5R stock has the same palm swell as the VS/senderos but I'm not 100% sure on that. I haven't used the B&C stocks (which are newer to Remington IIRC), but I've been very pleased with the HS precision (both styles). Either the B&C or HS will be a huge upgrade.

The stock is the price difference between their 500$ guns and the 800$ dollar guns.
View Quote

If that is true then I horribly over payed for mine. $769 was the sticker price. Apparently mine is a odd model though, it has a tri-fluted barrel.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 12:47:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperJlarge] [#7]
I see. It looks like an LTR with a 1:10 twist vs the 1:12, and minus the stock.

You paid extra for the machine time for the flutes, possibly for the faster twist, but paid less than an LTR sticker price due to the stock. With a new stock/trigger it should be a great rifle.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 12:59:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:
I see. It looks like an LTR with a 1:10 twist vs the 1:12, and minus the stock.

You paid extra for the machine time for the flutes, possibly for the faster twist, but paid less than an LTR sticker price due to the stock. With a new stock/trigger it should be a great rifle.
View Quote

Thanks, that makes me feel better. So I guess I am off to look for a HS precision or a B&C stock. And eventually a better trigger. I have lightened my tigger down to approximately 3lbs but it still feels a little heavy. I just don't want to back it off so far that it becomes dangerous.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 10:45:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Checkout the magpul 700 hunter.  I picked one up and love it.  Just installed the bottom metal and detachable mag.

Stock runs ~$250  BM and Mag ~$65

Installed one on my SPS Tact.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 2:28:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Interesting, maybe I will go that route. But now I need to prioritize what I buy, either reloading gear, or save up for the stock....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top