Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2015 8:44:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HikerB]
2 or 3 years ago I picked up a stainless steel short action savage rifle in 223. It was new from Buds and was on sale for a very good price. I bought the rifle with the intention of doing a project with it later on. So now I'm ready to get to work on it, and I removed the barrel. Upon removal, I noticed one of the lugs (actually the abutment) has a gouge in it. This rifle was new and has never been fired by me, although it had some powder residue, I assume it was factory test fired.

I compared this mark to another Savage I have with a few rounds through it (but less than 100) and noticed a very slight similar wear, but nowhere near this. Is this mark normal?  I included a pic of the bolt, which has no indication of damage, and closing the action does not feel "off".

Is this wear any issue? I realize also that having the rifle a few years before noticing it would probably limit any recourse with the manufacturer, and I did already pull the barrel off. But I have not fired a single round through this. Any thoughts?

Here is the corresponding bolt lug. It does not have any damage or unusual wear.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 5:45:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Call savage and ask, worst they can say is no.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top