Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2022 11:00:25 PM EDT
Help me out, fellas. I've got a Nightforce BEAST without a home, and I've decided that I want a long range bolt rifle. Nothing is off the table yet, but I'd like to put this Beast on a gun, as it's been without a home for awhile. So I guess I need to get into 6.5Jesusmoor now, unless someone can give me a reason for burning more powder with something ending in -Magnum.

I was leaning towards the RPR so I could get the .22 version to practice with as well. Buuuut, the Sig is a helluva lot lighter.

I will probably try to use this for mule deer and elk if I get a tag, so hunting is a consideration, though my interests lie predominantly in the tactical realm.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 11:24:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Cross, it’s a great rifle. But it really shouldn’t be cross-shopped with the RPR…the Cross is a lightweight rifle for hunting that can be pressed into the tactical rifle role (but it really isn’t designed for it) while the RPR is just the opposite. I would ultimately pick the rifle that will fulfill your primary goal, which sounds like probably the RPR.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 9:07:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I’d sell the beast and get a nx8 or nxs.

The nx8 2.5x20 ffp fits perfect on a cross 6.5 with 1” Hawkins hybrid rings.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 10:18:41 AM EDT
[#3]
you want a long range bolt rifle
myself i would take a sig cross in 308 but not for long range most have 16 in bbl,  but even though the weight of the rpr is a lot more
look at other makers, tikka -The Bergara Divide - Browning X-Bolt Speed -Christensen Arms Ridgeline
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 10:47:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bluedog82:
I have a Cross, it's a great rifle. But it really shouldn't be cross-shopped with the RPRthe Cross is a lightweight rifle for hunting that can be pressed into the tactical rifle role (but it really isn't designed for it) while the RPR is just the opposite. I would ultimately pick the rifle that will fulfill your primary goal, which sounds like probably the RPR.
View Quote
What makes that so? Just the weight?
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 2:50:35 PM EDT
[#5]
On this dilemma I would go with which one you get for the best deal. If I went with the Sig I would have to have a matching .223rem trainer to go with it. It’s a shame Ruger quit making the RPR in .223.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 6:38:31 PM EDT
[#6]
A Cross would be kind of an odd choice for a scope as heavy as the beast.  I'd vote RPR between those two choices.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 8:22:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By bluedog82:
I have a Cross, it’s a great rifle. But it really shouldn’t be cross-shopped with the RPR…the Cross is a lightweight rifle for hunting that can be pressed into the tactical rifle role (but it really isn’t designed for it) while the RPR is just the opposite. I would ultimately pick the rifle that will fulfill your primary goal, which sounds like probably the RPR.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 3:46:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By fordkicksass:
A Cross would be kind of an odd choice for a scope as heavy as the beast.  I'd vote RPR between those two choices.
View Quote
Yeah. I get that. That's a big holdup on that one for me.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 12:43:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By JAG2955:
What makes that so? Just the weight?
View Quote

The Cross was built to minimize weight (forged receiver replaces both traditional tubular steel receivers and channeled stocks/chassis), increase packability (folding stock, short barrels), and still be "match" grade accurate; exactly what modern hunters are after. Sig makes no attempt at hiding the fact that it is first and foremost marketed towards backpacking hunters, while the RPR is absolutely not.

There has been a shift in Sig's marketing recently that seems to push towards including PRS style shooting for the Cross, and with some of the pics that have been seen of variants sporting longer, heavier barrels and Arca compatible handguards, I'd expect to see the Cross start to succeed in the market that the RPR is in, but at the end of the day, the Cross is made for the Kifaru/First Lite/Kuiu crowd. A buddy of mine had one last hunting season and I fell in love and bought one of my own.

Your BEAST is a far more capable scope than any current offerings of the Cross, and would detract from some of the points of praise for the rifle. Having said that, I have a Mark 5 on mine which I have similar feelings on, but its almost a pound lighter than your scope.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 6:45:36 PM EDT
[#10]
RPR is a long range precision rifle, the Cross is a nice hunting rifle with precision-rifle ergonomics.

Get the RPR. And I say that as someone who really likes the Cross.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 9:51:52 PM EDT
[#11]
IMO, the optimum set up is a Cross with a 1-8 NF NX8 scope....with a Magpul bipod

That is what I am planning to build later this year.....in 6.5
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 10:12:16 PM EDT
[#12]
You didn’t say what your goal was. I have a 6.5 Cross and its a great little gun. Go get a Tikka tr3, and put it in a MDT chassis. Get a 300 PRC or 6.5 PRC. That will be up to the scope potential.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 9:01:01 PM EDT
[#13]
@JAG2955

What did you end up going with?

I too was in a similar boat and chose the RPR. I have plans to get a Cross, hopefully soon too, but the RPR at the time just checked more blocks.

That was a few years ago. Now look at the SIG Cross offerings! Today the Cross would've got the call and I'd probably own two.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 9:49:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Nothing yet!  I think there's rumors of some long-action Crosses in the near future.  I may wait for one of those.  Or maybe just sell the BEAST and fund another project.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 1:09:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By JAG2955:
Nothing yet!  I think there's rumors of some long-action Crosses in the near future.  I may wait for one of those.  Or maybe just sell the BEAST and fund another project.
View Quote

There’s a YouTube of a .300 winmag tryout at sig

I handled a Cross in 6.5 last week; light and handy
For hunting, you might consider a different scope.
Read reviews; the Cross seems finicky on ammo , but once you get the right load it’s very accurate.
Link Posted: 12/23/2022 10:20:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Wait for Ruger to release a RPR in 7mm PRC next year. Otherwise, put that beast on a RPR 338 LM. Used to own one. Sweetest bolt rifle ever owned. Back issues caused my to sell it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 1:03:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Bearcat24:
Wait for Ruger to release a RPR in 7mm PRC next year. Otherwise, put that beast on a RPR 338 LM. Used to own one. Sweetest bolt rifle ever owned. Back issues caused my to sell it.
View Quote

The RPR .338LM is on my wish list. So is the SIG Cross in 6.5CM. Adding two more calibers will be a challenge so I will need to start reloading or I will go broke trying to feed these beasts. I don't know how you fellas do it... Just trying to add .300BO to my current inventory is kicking my ass.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 10:47:30 AM EDT
[#18]
The Cross is stupid light for a chassis rifle. The RPR is stupid heavy for a rifle action... only the lighter barrel profile keeps it as a tank of a gun instead of a whale/anchor weight rifle.

Do you want to walk long distances with the rifle? Don't put a BEAST on an RPR and expect to do that in anything but secured in an Eberlestock pack on your back. Want to hold it in hand and walk? Your only option is the Cross... and you probably want a lighter optic too.

On a bipod, if you leave your rifle action open and walk away, your Cross with BEAST on top will flip over and fall off your shooting bench from a breeze if you leave it in anything but 100% locked down condition from being so ridiculous top heavy. Not a good combo IMO.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 2:37:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By DevL:
On a bipod, if you leave your rifle action open and walk away, your Cross with BEAST on top will flip over and fall off your shooting bench from a breeze if you leave it in anything but 100% locked down condition from being so ridiculous top heavy. Not a good combo IMO.
View Quote
I'm sure there's a brand more fitting, but 12:00 mount is good stuff.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Any-experience-with-UTG-Over-Bore-bipod-/19-775686/
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 7:33:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Except needing an extremely high mount to get the optic above the top mount
Good idea, extremely poorly executed
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 7:34:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By 77Bronc:
IMO, the optimum set up is a Cross with a 1-8 NF NX8 scope....with a Magpul bipod

That is what I am planning to build later this year.....in 6.5
View Quote

I’ve done this very thing.
It’s a well balanced rig, 18” Cross is my 1st dabble with 6.5 CM
It’s certainly a shooter
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 8:37:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thedownzero] [#22]
KB is a douche bag but the Sig knock off doesn’t come close to The Fix in terms of quality or feel. I wanted it to be comparable to save some money, but handling them both simultaneously and it’s def not in the same league. Frankly I’m not a fan of either company, but I’ll give credit where it’s due…

Also, the BEAST is wayyyyy to heavy and too much glass for a light weight hunting rifle imo.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 10:14:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Like some others have said, sell the Beast, buy a lighter scope, be it NF, Leupold, etc. and then pick the appropriate rifle (not necessarily one of the two you've mentioned) based on what you'll use it for the most.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 9:00:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By faawrenchbndr:
Except needing an extremely high mount to get the optic above the top mount
Good idea, extremely poorly executed
View Quote
1.5" is extremely high?
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 9:24:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AuburnPhoenix] [#25]
I have a cross I hunt with. It is fantastic in that roll, I have a < 1lb 3-15 scope on it. It groups well, but the person behind it has more work to do because it is so light.

The other drawback for it as a precision rifle is that the length adjustment on the buttstock is not robust. On my shoulder it takes a dozen or so rounds before I have to re-adjust it. On a lead sled it will collapse first shot, every time.

All in all, the cross is a great hunting rifle, but I would not suggest it for precision. That is just not what it is designed for.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 1:34:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Have you checked out Christensen's MPR?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top