Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Sig Cross recall?? (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/21/2020 6:01:00 PM EDT
Just came across this video, at the 29 minute mark you can see the rifle firing after a dead trigger when he taps the bolt.  Has anyone else been able to replicate this malfunction?  I only have 20 rounds through mine, next weekend I'll take a bucket of 308 out and try to get mine to do that as well...
Shocking Fail: Sig Cross [6.5 Creedmoor]
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 8:41:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: falcon6five] [#1]
Yea that was some crazy shit (it had to be for me to endure an entire nutnfancy video ).  No one has been able to replicate this to my knowledge so far.  I know someone was wondering if the rifle he was using was one of the early recalled rifles that the dealer released before it could be fixed (pure speculation).  But based on reading “nutn’s” follow up rant about how Sig was freaking out, it sounds like it wasn’t a problem that was even on their radar.

I have just under 100 through mine with zero issues.  Unfortunately I am not willing to burn through a bunch of ammo just for curiosity’s sake at the moment.  I have heard of one person who has 1200 through theirs with no issue.  If I had to guess, this is a one off thing but I’m sure it is “all hands on deck” over at Sig to figure this out due to the obvious liability issues.

You never know.  I have a geissele trigger that I had fire on the first stage 2 or 3 times.  Literally rinsed out my lower with a hose and it has never happened again.  So for right now, I’m not going to worry too much about what happened here but I will definitely be on the lookout.  If it is a legit issue, I have confidence that it will be fixed (Sig can’t just “that’s too bad” you on something like this) and probably will be a fairly easy fix
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 9:18:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 3:27:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Rifle is brand new production run, Nutnfancy borrowed it from a buddy of mine to test. Now he has to send back his broken rifle he has never fired to get fixed.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 5:39:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: falcon6five] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheTacticalCoyote:
Rifle is brand new production run, Nutnfancy borrowed it from a buddy of mine to test. Now he has to send back his broken rifle he has never fired to get fixed.
View Quote

If you get any updated info please let us know... it’s not all that often I can find the time for a 50min YouTube vid haha
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 12:18:35 AM EDT
[#5]
View Quote
So therefore you know why the issue happened then? The 'sand test' where Nutnfancy kept the bolt open dumping the rifle in sand (something no-one would ever do) just prior to the malfunctions because he introduced sand and grit into the firing pin channel.

He seems to have conveniently left that out of the video.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 12:36:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Holy crap, that's not good no matter what caused it.  Still sort of want, but won't be an early adopter on this one.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 1:17:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: UnaStamus] [#7]
Originally Posted By elucidate:
So therefore you know why the issue happened then? The 'sand test' where Nutnfancy kept the bolt open dumping the rifle in sand (something no-one would ever do) just prior to the malfunctions because he introduced sand and grit into the firing pin channel.

View Quote

If someone borrowed my precision rifle dumped a bunch of sand in it, I’d be pissed.  There’s no reason to dump sand into an open action of a precision rifle.  I mean, what’s next?  Is he gonna torture test a Honda Accord by taking it off-roading over the Rubicon Trail?  

This isn’t replicating anything other than intentional unnatural abuse of the rifle.  I’m not one to defend Sig, but this is a bit ridiculous.  People need to stop treating precision rifles like AK47s.  If your rifle goes right into the dirt, you need to clean it.  I can say right now that based on my experience as a long time armorer, the hang up isn’t in the fire control, but along the bolt channel somewhere.  Likely due to an obstruction or friction.  Moving the bolt allows enough of a shift to release the firing pin.    
A lot of his torture testing is beyond unrealistic, and I’m going to call it right now that this was a user-induced problem.

I would like to see what happens when the rifle is stripped down and cleaned and put back together, to include cleaning the bolt and fire control.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 11:46:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Intentionally abusing a bolt gun is retarded. Watching 5 minutes of content crammed into a 30 minute video is also retarded. I cant get into his stuff.

This doesnt seem like an actual issue as much as a user induced issue. I could obviously be wrong, just not about the 5 minutes of content per 45 minutes of video...
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 12:06:34 AM EDT
[#9]
His self aggrandizing and endlessly making the same point 13 different ways just makes cringe. He seems to be a good guy but he needs someone who is not hanging on his every word to edit his stuff.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 1:17:56 AM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

Nope I had no idea that happened. I would be pissed if that was done to my rifle.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 2:16:32 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

Heard that was the case also, wouldn't mind some confirmation somewhere though lol
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 2:38:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: falcon6five] [#12]
Originally Posted By kayl:

Heard that was the case also, wouldn't mind some confirmation somewhere though lol
View Quote

Well.... all Sig Cross rifles have now been recalled

Cross Recall Page
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 3:59:31 PM EDT
[#13]
What part of the video was sand dumped into the rifle?
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 4:17:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: falcon6five] [#14]
Originally Posted By Rifle_length:
What part of the video was sand dumped into the rifle?
View Quote

It’s not shown. Info came from someone who supposedly had knowledge of what went on.  Either way, there is a huge difference between sand making a rifle not work and it making it dangerous.  Sig did the right thing here but they are starting to build a reputation for not being able to get it right before they actually ship the rifles to the consumer
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 5:22:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I remember when Nut pulled apart a LaRue for Duracoating, and covered something that shouldn't be or reassembled improperly, but he crapped on LaRue when it wasn't a factory defect.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 5:31:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
I remember when Nut pulled apart a LaRue for Duracoating, and covered something that shouldn't be or reassembled improperly, but he crapped on LaRue when it wasn't a factory defect.
View Quote

He is not a good source.  Even if he did throw a bunch of dirt into the action, you can’t have the rifle behaving the way that it did so hopefully it will lead to some positive changes.

What isn’t good is it appears that Sig has no plan for the recall.  Right now they don’t know which rifles are affected (maybe all??) or how it will be fixed.  

@TheTacticalCoyote Do you know if the whole dirt in the action thing is correct?  I think that is something your friend would deserve to know.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 1:09:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Yes dirt in the action is correct. Sig called him this morning to tell him about the recall and told him they found a “crap ton” of dirt in the action.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 1:55:25 PM EDT
[#18]
According to who? Where’s all this “first person” type of information coming from?
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 2:11:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I hunted with a Kimber bolt-action in the rain one day. The next day was bitter cold.

When I tried to shoot a buck, the trigger moved in a stiff, odd way, and the rifle didn't fire. My first thought was that the safety might still be engaged. But it wasn't.

I touched the bolt handle, and the rifle fired.

Haven't been able to duplicate it since. My guess is that the striker hung up on a bit of ice.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 10:20:48 PM EDT
[#20]
So any more news on this?  Had to leave one behind at a retailer today due to this recall.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 2:10:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LVMIKE] [#21]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I shot a match back around 2010 in Arizona (Phoenix TPRC) where it was raining hard the entire time. One stage had an O-course where you had to crawl through a corrugated steel tube down ina culvert that had filled with mud and then take a few shots from the end of it. The entire thing was full of mud as was the exit where you had to shoot from.

I was shooting an accuracy international AW with a S&B on it. I got to the end of said tunnel, dropped prone and thrust the rifle out infront of me as I was falling. The bipod legs on the Atlas V7 i had were already deployed but those old style legs folded by pulling them out. The rifle hit the ground hard enough it bounced on those feet and the right leg folded. The rifle went action open, mag out and completely submerged in the mud. Both objectives covered and enough grit I could feel it in the bolt. I tilted the rifle muzzle up, gave the butt a hit on the ground, cycled the bolt a few times then dropped prone after wiping the lenses.

Zero malfunctions. I doubt many precision rifles can do that, but its something I do expect still and is why I shoot an AT now. Same rifle has also been out shooting places with very fine moon dust type sand where other rifles choked-- mine kept right on.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 2:41:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
View Quote

I recall that, too.  But, it looks like Sig has actually begun the recall process on this one.  What's interesting about this one as opposed to the other Sig firearms that were (or should have been) recalled including the early MPX's, the P365's and the droptastic P320's (am I forgetting any?) is that another company that had a problem with their bolt guns firing when they weren't supposed to has been broken up into tiny pieces and sold off to the highest bidder in 2020.  You guessed it, I'm talking about the great Remington 700 trigger recall.

It may be that Sig is staring (figuratively) down the barrel of precedent here and doesn't want to take chances.  Plus, they've undoubtedly sold a lot fewer of these than the aforementioned firearms they've put out that either didn't work or were dangerous.

Link Posted: 12/4/2020 2:42:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By duck1022:
So any more news on this?  Had to leave one behind at a retailer today due to this recall.
View Quote

TGC News said Sig has gone full-recall on this.  Instructed everyone to cease using firearms immediately.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 3:02:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By QtrMOA:

I recall that, too.  But, it looks like Sig has actually begun the recall process on this one.  What's interesting about this one as opposed to the other Sig firearms that were (or should have been) recalled including the early MPX's, the P365's and the droptastic P320's (am I forgetting any?) is that another company that had a problem with their bolt guns firing when they weren't supposed to has been broken up into tiny pieces and sold off to the highest bidder in 2020.  You guessed it, I'm talking about the great Remington 700 trigger recall.

It may be that Sig is staring (figuratively) down the barrel of precedent here and doesn't want to take chances.  Plus, they've undoubtedly sold a lot fewer of these than the aforementioned firearms they've put out that either didn't work or were dangerous.

View Quote

Were the Remington triggers ever found to be faulty? It's been a while but what I remembered there was never a proven issue and all the lawsuits were settled. The guns I remember them really looking into were all either modified and/or adjusted out of spec or rusted so bad nobody would expect it to work.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 4:41:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Is there something actually wrong with the bolt or Sig did a recall because Nutnfancy poured sand into his tester off camera???
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 7:01:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By BRWNTWN:
Is there something actually wrong with the bolt or Sig did a recall because Nutnfancy poured sand into his tester off camera???
View Quote

Well... pouring sand into it didn’t help.  Over on SH someone had one that broke and when he was trouble shooting he found that there are 2 rollers on the cocking mech that would be susceptible to getting gummed up.  On this guys, the retaining mech failed, the roller fell out, and pretty much locked the rifle up.  But he was saying that fine dust/debris could inhibit the function of these rollers enough to delay firing.  Not sure if that is the official cause but it is what made the most sense to me so far
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 11:57:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Yeah your are right, engineer on sniper's hide dry firing and noticed something was "off"
Looking at E. Bryant's post on the link below, it looks like Sig didn't do enough testing on their designs
https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/new-sig-cross.6973024/page-23
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 1:28:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cms81586] [#28]
Originally Posted By UnaStamus:

If someone borrowed my precision rifle dumped a bunch of sand in it, I’d be pissed.  There’s no reason to dump sand into an open action of a precision rifle.  I mean, what’s next?  Is he gonna torture test a Honda Accord by taking it off-roading over the Rubicon Trail?  

This isn’t replicating anything other than intentional unnatural abuse of the rifle.  I’m not one to defend Sig, but this is a bit ridiculous.  People need to stop treating precision rifles like AK47s.  If your rifle goes right into the dirt, you need to clean it.  I can say right now that based on my experience as a long time armorer, the hang up isn’t in the fire control, but along the bolt channel somewhere.  Likely due to an obstruction or friction.  Moving the bolt allows enough of a shift to release the firing pin.    
A lot of his torture testing is beyond unrealistic, and I’m going to call it right now that this was a user-induced problem.

I would like to see what happens when the rifle is stripped down and cleaned and put back together, to include cleaning the bolt and fire control.
View Quote

Still no reason to make excuses for Sig.  Some folks use their rifles in austere conditions. And while not dumping sand into the action, I’ve come home from hunts in the SW on windy days with a rifle full of sand. Bottom line...Sig has an issue (once again) with releasing a product too soon without proper vetting. Bums me out because the Cross was the first Sig product I was interested in since my Kilo 2000.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 1:56:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bloodsport2885] [#29]
Originally Posted By cms81586:

Still no reason to make excuses for Sig.  Some folks use their rifles in austere conditions. And while not dumping sand into the action, I’ve come home from hunts in the SW on windy days with a rifle full of sand. Bottom line...Sig has an issue (once again) with releasing a product too soon without proper vetting. Bums me out because the Cross was the first Sig product I was interested in since my Kilo 2000.
View Quote

The "curse of the desert" is willful abuse by this clown.  The weapon needs to be cleaned after he dumped sand into it.  Willful abuse isn't covered by any warranty that I know of.

If the sand was collected during ACTUAL use I would see your point.  But you don't get to take a piss into the intake tube on your Jeep and cry foul when it hydrolocks.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 2:00:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cms81586] [#30]
Originally Posted By bloodsport2885:

The "curse of the desert" is willful abuse by this clown.  The weapon needs to be cleaned after he dumped sand into it.  Willful abuse isn't covered by any warranty that I know of.
View Quote

If it simply failed to fire I’d agree with you. But firing as it did...it’s just more Keystone cop engineer BS from Sig. it appears every new firearm they release can fire without touching the trigger. Maybe it’s not a bug, but instead a feature. And I’m in no way defending that assclown. It’s just another in the long line of Sig customer beta tester trials.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 2:11:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bloodsport2885] [#31]
Originally Posted By cms81586:

If it simply failed to fire I’d agree with you. But firing as it did...it’s just more Keystone cop engineer BS from Sig. it appears every new firearm they release can fire without touching the trigger. Maybe it’s not a bug, but instead a feature. And I’m in no way defending that assclown. It’s just another in the long line of Sig customer beta tester trials.
View Quote

I'm not inclined to agree since Sig found a significant amount of debris in the rifle.  I understand their need to cover their ass if this is a real thing, but to be honest this just smacks of lawyers telling them to recall it out of brand preservation.  Just like the old 700's.  Sand in the the FCG is not something they should have to plan for.  It is willful misuse and that is on the end user.  And from reports, Nutnfancy introduced debris into the action for his testing.  He created these results for drama.  That's what Youtube is for.

I just place little faith in Nutnfancy when he reviews guns because he is who he is.  A long running joke in the firearms community.

I would be interested in seeing sand dumped into a Mauser rifle.  I think the results would be about the same.  I have personally seen actual Mausers lose to abuse (as in Mauser was still alive when it was manufactured).  The pinnacle of all bolt action rifles.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:09:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: falcon6five] [#32]
Originally Posted By bloodsport2885:

I'm not inclined to agree since Sig found a significant amount of debris in the rifle.  I understand their need to cover their ass if this is a real thing, but to be honest this just smacks of lawyers telling them to recall it out of brand preservation.  Just like the old 700's.  Sand in the the FCG is not something they should have to plan for.  It is willful misuse and that is on the end user.  And from reports, Nutnfancy introduced debris into the action for his testing.  He created these results for drama.  That's what Youtube is for.

I just place little faith in Nutnfancy when he reviews guns because he is who he is.  A long running joke in the firearms community.

I would be interested in seeing sand dumped into a Mauser rifle.  I think the results would be about the same.  I have personally seen actual Mausers lose to abuse (as in Mauser was still alive when it was manufactured).  The pinnacle of all bolt action rifles.
View Quote

They wouldn’t have recalled the rifle if there wasn’t a problem that they were able to replicate.  This is costing them an ass of time and money and they aren’t going to take that lightly.  I agree that nutnfancy sucks and all that but if you look at the cocking mechanism, I can understand how it happened.  

They also need to fix the locking mech for the stock.  It’s the only precision rifle I have that has play in the stock when in the locked position.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 2:28:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By falcon6five:

They wouldn’t have recalled the rifle if there wasn’t a problem that they were able to replicate.  This is costing them an ass of time and money and they aren’t going to take that lightly.  I agree that nutnfancy sucks and all that but if you look at the cocking mechanism, I can understand how it happened.  

View Quote

I don't agree. This is the age of public opinion and viral videos. Videos like that force them to act regardless if it is warranted or not. I am not saying there isn't a problem because I really don't know enough about it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 8:30:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

I don't agree. This is the age of public opinion and viral videos. Videos like that force them to act regardless if it is warranted or not. I am not saying there isn't a problem because I really don't know enough about it.
View Quote

I understand the whole viral video thing but are you saying they are going to collect all of these rifles, do nothing, then send them back without even knowing how the malfunction happened?
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 12:05:23 PM EDT
[#35]

I understand the whole viral video thing but are you saying they are going to collect all of these rifles, do nothing, then send them back without even knowing how the malfunction happened?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

Oh they’ll do something. My point was just because they are doing the recall doesn’t mean it was necessary to do so. They will at minimum try to further idiot proof it.

Once again I’m not saying there is no problem I’m just saying it’s a lot more complicated especially nowadays.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 10:33:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Any updates on this? I would like to get one of these when Sig figures it out, but the longer this goes on with no updates I’m not overly confident. Thinking perhaps a Savage 110 ultralight instead.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 10:53:08 AM EDT
[#37]
I shot 200 rounds through mine without incident a couple weekends ago, no word from Sig on anything.  Just buy it and enjoy it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 10:43:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Not a lot to be found on the open market at the moment. Is there even a fix yet?
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 1:43:52 PM EDT
[#39]
I got the email from SIG on Wednesday the 17th of Feb that a return shipping box was being sent to me via FedEx. I registered for the recall within minutes of getting the recall email from SIG. Right after I signed up for the recall, the dealer I bought the rifle from called me to inform me of the recall as well.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 12:47:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Got the shipping box and return label on Thursday. Took everything off the rifle as instructed. Scope, picatiny rail section on handguard for bipod mount, QR sling swivel mount from handguard, scope, and took off my MPA grip and put the factory grip back on. Only thing I left on was a AAC 51T muzzle brake because it was rockset on. They better not lose my gun with that mount. Those 51t brakes are impossible to find now.

Put the gun in the shipping box, applied the label to the outer box and took it to FedEx Saturday morning. Now the wait to see how long this takes and see how the returned rifle differs from how it was before.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 2:52:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Curious to see what they do to your gun.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 12:55:03 AM EDT
[#42]
I heard a rumor today at one of my local gun shops that Sig was canceling all orders they had in house for the Cross in 277 Fury. If so that kinda pisses me off since I have had one on order in that caliber since it was announced. I've been wanting to shut a few of the "6.5CM is king" rednecks up with that new round they have.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 11:49:37 PM EDT
[#43]
The 2020 ammo crunch really stalled the .277, I was hoping to test it out myself.  Maybe in 2023.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 11:20:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By reschke:
I heard a rumor today at one of my local gun shops that Sig was canceling all orders they had in house for the Cross in 277 Fury. If so that kinda pisses me off since I have had one on order in that caliber since it was announced. I've been wanting to shut a few of the "6.5CM is king" rednecks up with that new round they have.
View Quote

If this is true, I wonder if it means they aren't going to win the Army contract.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 7:22:58 PM EDT
[#45]
I sent mine back and they've had it since Wednesday. Hopefully they can take care of it and before too long, get these back out to folks.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 10:25:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Mine got there Thursday. I hope they don't send it back with a shitty trigger.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 9:31:09 AM EDT
[#47]
I got the email this morning that my Cross Rifle is on it's way back to me from SIG.

I'll post about any apparent changes on it and how the trigger compares to before the recall.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 2:55:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C_Swimm] [#48]
I got it back today. Note says they replaced parts in the bolt and trigger. Trigger fells about the same as I remember it.

I went to take the factory grip off to put my MPA grip back on. The grip screw was so tight I had to use a screwdriver that has a socket in the top of the handle for a 3/8" drive ratchet wrench get it out. They had put some kind of white thread locker on about 2/3 of the screw shank.

No extra mag in the box nor any discount code for the SIG store like the did with the P320 recall. They threw in "hunt like a warrior" trucker style hat.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 7:37:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By C_Swimm:
I got it back today. Note says they replaced parts in the bolt and trigger. Trigger fells about the same as I remember it.

I went to take the factory grip off to put my MPA grip back on. The grip screw was so tight I had to use a screwdriver that has a socket in the top of the handle for a 3/8" drive ratchet wrench get it out. They had put some kind of white thread locker on about 2/3 of the screw shank.

No extra mag in the box nor any discount code for the SIG store like the did with the P320 recall. They threw in "hunt like a warrior" trucker style hat.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/62351/8AEC652E-6BCD-40DC-8030-728B53281155_jpe-1869199.JPG
View Quote

I got an email today stating a box is on the way.  Glad your rifle feels the same, I love how mine shoots as it is now.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 6:29:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: C_Swimm] [#50]
Yeah I was scared that the “fix” would ruin the trigger. All I had to do was loosen the adjustment screw like I did when it was new to get it right like I had it before I sent it in.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Sig Cross recall?? (Page 1 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top