Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/26/2020 5:14:24 PM EDT
Rifle has to stay factory stock no aftermarket parts, shooting to 500 yards for smallest groups all in 6.5 creedmoor shooting prone, off table, off fence rail, and off hood of truck.

Savage 10 GRS
Savage 110 Ridge warrior
Savage 12LR precesion
Bergara HMR
Remington 700 PCR
Remington 700 5-r Gen2
FN PBR-XP
Mossberg MVP Precesion

Why one over the other, what do you consider the best and the worse.

Snowman357
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 5:24:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Of what you have on your list?  By far, Bergara.

MVP...pass
Savage...good shooters, but I personally don't like the aesthetics of them
Rem...hard pass on any new ones, with all the QC issues.
FN ...no longer made, and was never made in 6.5 cm

I would also strongly look at the Tikka CTR
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 5:33:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Can you buy the likes of a production PRS type rifle? if so I would suggest you look at MPA's entry level PRS comp rifle..heck of a rifle for 2 grand...

They make a new "pro" version as well...

https://masterpiecearms.com/shop/mpa-ba-pmr-competition-rifle/

Of those on your list..tikka, or I would chance a 700....
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 5:33:45 PM EDT
[#3]
oh yes the fn was a 308 taking that off the list
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 5:36:52 PM EDT
[#4]
MPA I can turn the page on them quickly didnt they make the spray and pray pistols?
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 5:43:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By snowman357:
MPA I can turn the page on them quickly didnt they make the spray and pray pistols?
View Quote

Not sure what you're talking about on that one, but I'm going to say definitely NOT the same company.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 5:47:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Also, what's the budget?
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 5:51:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: snowman357] [#7]
$1500 for rifle but less on rifle will be more on scope.(but price will be dealers cost)
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 5:55:06 PM EDT
[#8]
MPA defender

https://masterpiecearms.com/shop/mpa30t/

Never seen one of their rifles or these pistols, maybe I'm wrong but would not look like a product that a highly accurate rifle maker would make, but would be fun to shoot once.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 5:59:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Tikka
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 6:17:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By snowman357:
MPA defender

https://masterpiecearms.com/shop/mpa30t/

Never seen one of their rifles or these pistols, maybe I'm wrong but would not look like a product that a highly accurate rifle maker would make, but would be fun to shoot once.
View Quote

You will not buy a better production rifle, hell most smiths cannot produce as good of a rifle as MPA does..Several people on here own their rifles, everyone of them rage about how good they are...
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 6:18:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Remington 700 5-r Gen2
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 6:32:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I have shoot a remington 700 5r gen2 I liked it but everybody said its luck of the draw with remington 700 nowadays.  I dont get it my 3 700 rifles are older and shoot good with no problems but they are just hunting rifles never used past 225 yards hard to believe remington could mess up their main rifle that they have made for years.

Link Posted: 6/26/2020 7:02:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Savage long range precision .
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 8:12:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Remington 700 5-r Gen2

Haven't had a single issue with any of the last 4-5 recent M700 buys.  All shoot great, albeit with some stock & trigger upgrades.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 9:05:27 PM EDT
[#15]
$1500.  Tikka and Bergara.  

For a hair over $1500 you could get one of the Tikka Tac A1s.  Hell of a rifle.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 11:08:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Bergara BMP Chassis rifle. Great action great barrels and awesome chassis.
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 4:46:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Take a look at what Howa has in the KRG and Orxy chassis.

https://www.legacysports.com/catalog/howa/

Most people over look them, but they are really good shooters out of the box.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 2:54:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Tikka or bergara.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 8:01:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Savage
Tikka
That order
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 8:43:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By KTM300XCW:
Tikka
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/28/2020 2:03:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Bergara
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 2:40:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Lost_Phil:
Take a look at what Howa has in the KRG and Orxy chassis.

https://www.legacysports.com/catalog/howa/

Most people over look them, but they are really good shooters out of the box.
View Quote

Don't know how I could leave out Howa....
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 3:04:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Daniel Defense
Howa
Bergara
Tikka
Savage

Id go for a 6.5 creedmoor over a 308
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 4:10:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RePp] [#24]
Originally Posted By tarheel7734:
Daniel Defense
Howa
Bergara
Tikka
Savage

Id go for a 6.5 creedmoor over a 308
View Quote

Those DD rifles are a fucking joke for the cost. They feel like a 500 dollar rifle. Howas are a nice price saving option but savages bring nothing to the table. Trash. Tikka and bergara are such a good buy for a factory rifle.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 4:31:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Gen 2 r700 5r.

All these qc issues that get blasted through the interwebs and i have yet to have one with my decent collection of rifles.

I will say when they started making the r700 as cheap as the 788/783 those few models are bound to have issues. But on the upper end I've seen no issues personally.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 4:36:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TARFU] [#26]
Originally Posted By SuperDutyMikeMc:
Remington 700 5-r Gen2
View Quote

This but break your rule a little and change the trigger then it will be perfect and still less $ than some of the others.  This is the most accurate rifle in my safe including the custom/semi customs.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 5:48:26 PM EDT
[#27]
In 6.5creedmoor:
My son has a Tikka T3xTact A1,  very accurate off the shelf rifle with real nice features and fit/finish is great A little on the heavy side (11.5#) and the only draw back is it is non AICS compatible, Tikka Mags only. Comes with 0MOA rail which is a joke and it's a Tikka pattern. Comes with muzzle brake.
My daughter and wife have Bergara B-14 Wilderness HMR's, very accurate off the shelf rifle with real nice features and fit/finish is great.  A little heavy for average women (9.5#), AICS compatible. The Wilderness series bridges the gap between the B-14 and Premier Series. Barrel and action are Cerakote, comes with a muzzle break, trigger upgrade. Rail for scope mount not included but patterned after Rem 700 using #6 screws.
I have a Bergara Premier LRP,  very accurate off the shelf rifle with real nice features and fit/finish is great. Light for a Chassis rifle ( 9.5#), AICS compatible. Rail for scope mount not included but patterned after Rem 700 using #8 screws. Comes with adjustable Trigger Tech trigger, barrel is lapped, bolt is spiral flute and extremely smooth. My sons Tikka has the same barrel length and twist as my Bergara, with a coronagraph my Bergara is getting 190FPS more using the same box of Hornady 147gr ELD Match.

Also have 4 Rem 700's, .22-250, .243, .308 built in the early and late 80's. They are fair superior to what's being produces today.

My son just bought a Bergara B-14 Wilderness Ridge in .300 WM, same features as the HMR but a traditional stock for hunting. It's a 7.7# rifle and if weight is a concern it's a great choice.

My son (T3x Tact Ai) and I (Premier LRP) are banging  8" gongs  8/10 @ 1000yds with Hornady 147gr ELD Match. They rifles are more capable than we are.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 8:30:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Savage 12 LRP and it isn't close.  It'll outshoot all of the other rifles on your list.  Yes, even the Bergara (sorry Bergara fans).

It has a better trigger than all the others, better stock, and will be the most accurate.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 8:39:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RePp] [#29]
Originally Posted By Zeebz:
Savage 12 LRP and it isn't close.  It'll outshoot all of the other rifles on your list.  Yes, even the Bergara (sorry Bergara fans).

It has a better trigger than all the others, better stock, and will be the most accurate.
View Quote

No to all of that. Its 2020. 99.9% of rifles will be more accurate than 99% of shooters. The savage wont out shoot any rifle on that list. It will have a trash action that has a sweet habit of failing and bolt that will bind up on you. Its trigger is not better. People that think a savage trigger is anything other than mediocre have never tried a good trigger. The stock isnt even adjustable. Again while accuracy is obviously important its easy to achieve by most modern manufacturers.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 2:00:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Trumpet:
$1500.  Tikka and Bergara.  

For a hair over $1500 you could get one of the Tikka Tac A1s.  Hell of a rifle.
View Quote

Couldn't have said it better .
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 7:07:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: InternationalM] [#31]
Tikka any flavor- There is a "Remage" system for Tikka as of now.
Sako A7's are being blown out since being replaced by the S20 so you can get them for aroun 8-900 or less if you shop around. They mostly use a lot of Sako 75/85 parts (firing pins, ect). Limited to sako mags sadly. Least with tikka you can dump it into a chassis and run AI style mags.
I'm going to be the outlier and throw the Remington above the Bergera. When the barrel is toast you can remage the Remington and perform your own barrel changes. You can do this with Tikka as well. Berger with its coned bolt face takes away the remage option. Unless this has changed. Though rebarreling can be done by them for around 500 plus shipping which  isn't a bad deal.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 5:45:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Bergara or Tikka
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 1:02:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Bergara or Tikka. I own both and love them. Flip a coin. My third choice would be the Howa 1500 with the HS Precision Stock.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 9:52:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 11:38:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By MadMardigan:
https://www.centerfireguns.com/savage-110-elite-precision-6mm-creedmoor-57558.html

1500.... for your price on a rifle.
View Quote

I just can't imagine dropping that kind of coin on a Savage.  IMO Savages are a great "affordable" rifle.   Once you start getting to that price point though, I'd rather pony up a little more and get a Tikka Tac or even a budget custom build (about the same amount will get your a barreled action from Straight Jacket armory in a Bravo).  Also, I've read more than a few reports on SH of the Elite Precision having feeding issues.
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 1:49:38 PM EDT
[#36]

I just can't imagine dropping that kind of coin on a Savage.  IMO Savages are a great "affordable" rifle.   Once you start getting to that price point though, I'd rather pony up a little more and get a Tikka Tac or even a budget custom build (about the same amount will get your a barreled action from Straight Jacket armory in a Bravo).  Also, I've read more than a few reports on SH of the Elite Precision having feeding issues.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
https://www.centerfireguns.com/savage-110-elite-precision-6mm-creedmoor-57558.html

1500.... for your price on a rifle.

https://mdttac.com/us_en/acc-chassis-system.html

1200 for the stock, so 300 for a barreled action, you can get a new barrel and swap on the Savage action easily.
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 5:11:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: InternationalM] [#37]

1200 for the stock, so 300 for a barreled action, you can get a new barrel and swap on the Savage action easily.
View Quote

You can do a savage style barrel swap on almost any manufacturer now, so its a moot point, Remington, Tikka, Howa, all have their own version of prefit barrels now. All you need is a smith to pull the barrel and your off to the races.
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 5:22:58 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

But you still have a savage action.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 1:13:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Bergara...not even a question.

That stock alone elevates it above the others.
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 1:32:08 AM EDT
[#40]
With the choices from your list:
1) savage 12LRP
2) Remington 5R Gen 2

From not on your list
Ruger Precision Rifle
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 2:32:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Grumpy5:
With the choices from your list:
1) savage 12LRP
2) Remington 5R Gen 2

From not on your list
Ruger Precision Rifle
View Quote

Those are 3 terrible choices. You should feel terrible to.
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 8:44:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Well, they maybe terrible choices. However, the RPR has out shot the gold standard for long range shooting, that of the Accuracy International. It changed the long range shooting game too, in that you didn’t need to drop 10k to be competitive.

But it seems like you know all so we should all just shut up once you have voiced your opinion or wisdom.
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 8:49:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RePp] [#43]
Well, they maybe terrible choices. However, the RPR has out shot the gold standard for long range shooting, that of the Accuracy International. It changed the long range shooting game too, in that you didn’t need to drop 10k to be competitive.

But it seems like you know all so we should all just shut up once you have voiced your opinion or wisdom.
View Quote

It offered a rifle in a chassis at a cheap price for people to get into prs. No one that has ever shot an AI vs anything Ruger has ever made is taking a ruger. The AI is a 100 times the rifle the RPR is. AI has a very smooth, reliable bolt where the the ruger feels like it was made by a Russian peasant. I'm all ears to hear how the ruger does anything better than the AI and how many top shooters use a RPR vs an AI. The RPR is a cheap option for people to get into the game and that's awesome.
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 9:11:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: heavy260] [#44]
I wouldn’t shy away from a R700. I bought one last year from APO in one of their chassis when they were having a summer sale. I haven’t heard anything bad about them. Mine shoots sub MOA with factory nosler ammo. Poked a small buck with a 19” inside spread with it. I’m waiting for APO to sell their skeleton stock for it which should be in the next couple of weeks.

Guys seem to really like their Tik-Tacs
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 9:19:24 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Cite?
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 9:28:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: slappomatt] [#46]
been very impressed with a buddies ruger american hunter in 6.5 shot it out to 1300 a month ago. did quite well considering like 30mph winds. and thats with a $700 gun.
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 9:31:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Bergara hmr wilderness is my next rifle so ima say the hmr.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 7:46:18 PM EDT
[#48]
https://youtu.be/XbrB0j9VJ24

Link Posted: 8/1/2020 7:57:09 PM EDT
[#49]

View Quote

How is that "outshooting" the AI?
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 8:52:01 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

That video was saying its a cheap option that will let you play. In no way did it even come close to being better than an AI.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top