Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2019 12:07:30 PM EDT
I'm kind of a buy once cry once guy, but 300 bucks for a hog saddle is a little steep, especially if the pig saddle is just as good. Real world uses would be hunting, slim possiblity of shooting 500 yards standing up, and just scanning. Is it better to get the more robust hog saddle or will the pig saddle fit the bill?
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:15:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I've used them both and own the Hog Saddle.  When you put them side by side, You can certainly see the difference in how much more robust the metal of the Hog Saddle is.  Having said that, the Pig Saddle is very functional and quite a bit lighter.  It may actually be the better choice if you're wanting to shave some weight for a hunting rig.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:18:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Kopfjager is superior to both.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 2:24:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BCV:
Kopfjager is superior to both.
View Quote
I've looked at the reaper rest as well. What makes it superior?
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 3:05:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Demphna2:
I've looked at the reaper rest as well. What makes it superior?
View Quote
It fits snugger and the ergonomics of the elevation handle is much better. Plus, Kopfjager is owned by some good dudes.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:42:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I haven’t tried a tripod but it seems like a rail of some sort would be quite a bit cheaper and a sturdy connection. Is there a “budget” connection with a pic rail or mounting a camera style mount that is serviceable to try it out?
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 12:40:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AKSnowRider] [#6]
Swiss-Arca is better yet, of course you would have to screw a rail to the bottom of your stock or invest in a stock/chassis that uses Swiss-Arca already like MPA...Plus, they are super cheap, widely available in a variety of lengths and styles, extremely light weight and easy to use...You also don't have to keep swapping this for that to use your rifle/spotter/LRRF on the same tripod..

Attachment Attached File

I have a 6" rail I use to mount both my spotter and my LRRF at the same time..works great..
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 11:27:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Is that similar to the trapezoidal qd Mount that comes with some tripods?
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 8:05:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Is there any functional difference between the pig saddle and hog saddle?
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 8:21:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:
...Swiss-Arca...
View Quote
This is the correct answer. Really Right Stuff sells an MLOK-Swiss Arca plate for $50. Lighter, cheaper, lower profile, and more stable than any of the saddle options.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 1:40:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By right_rudder:
Is there any functional difference between the pig saddle and hog saddle?
View Quote
Not really I believe the pig saddle opens wider. I've been using one hunting for about 3yrs I think. I prefer the clamp over arca for hunting. U can set the clamp just snug enough to pop the rifle out for a different shot opportunity.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 1:53:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By lew:

This is the correct answer. Really Right Stuff sells an MLOK-Swiss Arca plate for $50. Lighter, cheaper, lower profile, and more stable than any of the saddle options.
View Quote
and RRS is the Tier 1 camera brand of billet machined mounting goodness.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 11:06:33 PM EDT
[#12]
As a few others have stated, if you truly are about buying once and crying once, just get the ARCA system going.  If you stay in the game, you'll end up with it at some point, just get it done now.

Check Henderson Precision out.  They've got a great product for the cash.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 6:42:51 PM EDT
[#13]
neither, RRS
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:29:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DevL] [#14]
Have a RRS keymod plate for a gen 1 Ruger Precision. Its horribly sloppy. The rail itself bends and buckles under the plate like an empty coke can so it has very poor stability. You need a longer rail to attach to many points if you want stability and a stiff rail too. MLOK is slightly better than Keymod as the connection has more meat  You need 4 bolts mininum to bolt on an ARCA rail to an AR rail system. 3 will not cut it because too much torque will transfer to bolts and warp the rail.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:44:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By DevL:
Have a RRS keymod plate for a gen 1 Ruger Precision. Its horribly sloppy. The rail itself bends and buckles under the plate like an empty coke can so it has very poor stability. You need a longer rail to attach to many points if you want stability and a stiff rail too. MLOK is slightly better than Keymod as the connection has more meat  You need 4 bolts mininum to bolt on an ARCA rail to an AR rail system. 3 will not cut it because too much torque will transfer to bolts and warp the rail.
View Quote
MPA has a bolt on short rail that  should not warp, I use it for my bipod mount on the spigot..I just unbolted the pic rail and bolted on the RAT rail.....and it has been zero issue...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

https://masterpiecearms.com/shop/mpa-rat-dovetail-adapter-plate/
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 5:42:37 PM EDT
[#16]
The pig saddle
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 1:06:49 PM EDT
[#17]
I like the PIG Saddle.  You don't need to make any modifications to your rifle, and your hunting partners can set their rifles in it is as well.

Link Posted: 8/9/2019 11:57:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Spoke with a sniper on our team.  He has a Pig Saddle and says he loves it. I ordered one today from our Brownells Overlords. $129 w/ free shipping. I have a stable tripod to mount it to for use sitting/kneeling/standing.  I thought it would be good for my girls to use on their deer hunts out of a blind this fall. (That's how I justified it to Mama anyhow)

I have a Caldwell DeadShot FieldPod MAX and it works good for minute of deer/steel shots out to 2-300, but is a little wobbly for shooting groups.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 2:03:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Orangehat762:
Spoke with a sniper on our team.  He has a Pig Saddle and says he loves it. I ordered one today from our Brownells Overlords. $129 w/ free shipping. I have a stable tripod to mount it to for use sitting/kneeling/standing.  I thought it would be good for my girls to use on their deer hunts out of a blind this fall. (That's how I justified it to Mama anyhow)

I have a Caldwell DeadShot FieldPod MAX and it works good for minute of deer/steel shots out to 2-300, but is a little wobbly for shooting groups.
View Quote
Yeah I wasn't real impressed with the Fieldpod either. It's great for kids to use with the crossbow out of the blind.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 5:14:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Any of the pod-type products I've seen or purchased in the big box stores have been mediocre at best, total failures normally.

They get sales based on packaging, colors, advertising, and placement in the stores, not performance.

As a general rule, save yourself the money and avoid big store, mass-produced garbage that is meant to separate you from your money with a gimmick and not much else.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 11:16:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BubbasBarNGrill] [#21]
I’ve tried them all. Pig/hog, knockoff saddle holder. Even shot off tripod with a platform and a game changer. They all suck

Arca Swiss all things.

I have switched everything to arca mounts, rifles, spotting scoeps, even binos.

Just put a Catalyst arms handguard on one of my RPRs. The whole bottom is arca dovetail.

Just waiting on Atlas adapter/barricade stop, and I’ll have everything in arca.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 3:52:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By saabdrifter:
I’ve tried them all. Pig/hog, knockoff saddle holder. Even shot off tripod with a platform and a game changer. They all suck

Arca Swiss all things.

I have switched everything to arca mounts, rifles, spotting shops, even binos.

Just put a Catalyst arms handguard on one of my RPRs. The whole bottom is arca dovetail.

View Quote
I don't know what you're doing wrong, but I get comparable groups- around .6"- with my 6.5CM AR off of my brother's PIG Saddle or using my RRS Arca-Swiss MLOK adapter.

In fact, I'll be getting my own PIG Saddle due to the versatility of being able to use it on many different long arms without the need for adapters.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 6:01:50 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't know what you're doing wrong, but I get comparable groups- around .6"- with my 6.5CM AR off of my brother's PIG Saddle or using my RRS Arca-Swiss MLOK adapter.

In fact, I'll be getting my own PIG Saddle due to the versatility of being able to use it on many different long arms without the need for adapters.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Arca Swiss all things.

I have switched everything to arca mounts, rifles, spotting shops, even binos.

Who said I was doing anything wrong? Never mentioned groups one way or the other.

Every Hog or Pig saddle I have shot off had freeplay. In the mount, or the head itself. Not conducive to precision shooting.

For me, using acra system is dead on locked up. Zero freeplay in head, ball or mounting. It's every bit as easy/fast to drop my rifle onto arca mount as it is as saddle type mount.

I shoot a few matches a year. One match with over 200 shooters. 4 years ago everyone had a saddle type mount on their tripod. Last two years, no one using them anymore, not one.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 1:35:50 PM EDT
[#24]

Arca Swiss all things.

I have switched everything to arca mounts, rifles, spotting scoeps, even binos.

View Quote
Arca is really nice but there's nothing sucky about a Hog Saddle.  It works great.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 1:46:07 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm in the Arca Swiss camp.  I've got MDT Mlok Arca Swiss plates for my rifles that I use on the tripods.  My laser range finder and spotting scope are also on arca swiss mounts.
https://www.opticsplanet.com/mdt-arca-swiss-m-lok-rail-adapter.html

I keep a Precision Rifle Solutions SSP on an Arca Swiss mount in case I want to use a different rifle or let a friend use the tripod.
https://www.precisionriflesolutions.com/apps/webstore/products/show/838250

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 11:48:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mcbjus] [#26]
Trying to decide between the 2 ( Arca or Pig/Hog ) my self. I have a Nice field Optics Tripod and Pan Head i use for a spotter setup. I think it is an Arca setup as it is. I am not 100% sure hot to confirm. Maybe you guys who know more can help me with that. http://www.fieldopticsresearch.com/shop/Tripods--Accessories/p/MicroLite-FT5017C-x32189672.htmPan Head
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 11:52:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mcbjus] [#27]
http://www.fieldopticsresearch.com/shop/c/p/Pan-Head-FPH230-x32206470.htm

I see they have other heads available, but would the head i have do the job or would i be better off buying a new head all together?

I know I would have to have a rail like this to work with whatever head I needed as well if my head would not work. http://www.fieldopticsresearch.com/shop/Weapon-Support-Systems-Tripod-Mounts/p/FM-210-M-LOK-Rail-Mount-x32205583.htm
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 3:02:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By mcbjus:
http://www.fieldopticsresearch.com/shop/c/p/Pan-Head-FPH230-x32206470.htm

I see they have other heads available, but would the head i have do the job or would i be better off buying a new head all together?

I know I would have to have a rail like this to work with whatever head I needed as well if my head would not work. http://www.fieldopticsresearch.com/shop/Weapon-Support-Systems-Tripod-Mounts/p/FM-210-M-LOK-Rail-Mount-x32205583.htm
View Quote
What you have should work fine, I think I would replace the pan head with a ballhead(I did on 2 of my tripods), I think the ballhead is much easier to use..But otherwise it looks like it will work...The Swiss-arca rails are just under 1.5" wide, makes it easy to identify them...This is the head I put on mine, rated for 17 pounds, and its been flawless...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M4LQ8P6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 5:41:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:

What you have should work fine, I think I would replace the pan head with a ballhead(I did on 2 of my tripods), I think the ballhead is much easier to use..But otherwise it looks like it will work...The Swiss-arca rails are just under 1.5" wide, makes it easy to identify them...This is the head I put on mine, rated for 17 pounds, and its been flawless...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M4LQ8P6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
View Quote
Yea, I'd go with the ballhead also.
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 11:25:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Thanks guys. What about this head that will accept Pic rail or Arca.....head
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 1:02:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By mcbjus:
Thanks guys. What about this head that will accept Pic rail or Arca.....head
View Quote
According to their picture it takes both...
Attachment Attached File

Should work fine...
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 5:56:50 PM EDT
[#32]
I'd like to try the Arca Swiss system.

Where is the best place to buy it (best as in delivered price and guaranteed its legit product).

Would like to try it out on one rifle for now.  I have mlok, keymod and pic rails.
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 7:51:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Steamedliver:

Where is the best place to buy it (best as in delivered price and guaranteed its legit product).

Would like to try it out on one rifle for now.  I have mlok, keymod and pic rails.
View Quote
@jaqufrost might have some good answers as far as M-lok/keymod stuff..my stuff all came from my chassis maker(MPA) or is standard camera stuff off amazon/ebay...
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 9:37:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Steamedliver:

View Quote
I bought my MDT Mlok to ArcaSwiss rail from optics planet. They seemed to have the best price when I ordered.

For ArcaSwiss to rails, I screwed an ADM mount to an ArcaSwiss plate I bought off Amazon.

I haven't tries adapting it to keymod.
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 9:39:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Got to 800 yards today. Unfortunately with the wind bucking around I didn't get hits farther out.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 10:43:51 AM EDT
[#36]
I went ahead and ordered that head. I appreciate the help. Now I wait.... Then order rails ans needed...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top