Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2016 1:45:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dolor]
Tell me, if I were to go out and buy a bolt action rifle. Would it be wise to buy say a RPR over a standard 700 in regards to the magazine system?
Of course I get faster reloads but is it really that much more helpful on a bolt action rifle that's more designed for 300-600 yards?
Would there be any significant weight difference?
Is the detachable mag on a bolt gun an answer with no question? Is it over rated?

Also those who have upgraded their stocks to accept detachable mags, what improvements have you noticed?
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 2:04:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I think mostly it's a huge convenience and perhaps a bit of a safety improvement.
I really didn't like shoving rounds down into the internal box of my 700, I originally got the Seekins BM and use 5 and 10 round AICS mags.
Now I'm using the Magpul stock and mags.

I don't find 5 round mag to be that much extra weight.

Convenience
1) you can load up mags without the rifle around
2) you can load mags with different loads as needed
3) Obviously much quicker reload in the field

Safety
1) Drop mag, run bolt, gun is clear.

Link Posted: 8/14/2016 2:28:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Another thing to consider is use and carry method.
I find the guns set up with big detachable mags to be sort of clumsy to one hand carry.
I can't really justify a big mag for most any hunting deal
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 3:39:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By nhsport:
Another thing to consider is use and carry method.
I find the guns set up with big detachable mags to be sort of clumsy to one hand carry.
I can't really justify a big mag for most any hunting deal
View Quote

Yeah, I won't be getting any more 10 round mags. 5 is the perfect size for a bolt gun. They only extend beyond the trigger guard a little bit.

Link Posted: 8/14/2016 4:45:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 5:30:29 PM EDT
[#5]
It's all in what you want to do with it. I wouldn't add it to a plain jane hunting rifle but for any kind of volume shooting whether it be target or competition it is pretty handy. I also know people who keep different types of rounds in different mags so they can swap them out quickly.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 8:02:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't shoot my 700 much, and when I do I usually just toss in rounds one at a time. I would like a dbm setup but not worth it for a plinker.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 8:56:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I shot my Rem 700 for many years with standard bottom metal with little to no issues.  Once I shot my first PRS type match, I realized I needed DBM.  I bought Pacific Tool's BM and SAC milled the receiver.  

Link Posted: 8/14/2016 9:12:37 PM EDT
[#8]
If you need a quick reload and clips aren't an option...

Link Posted: 8/14/2016 11:59:31 PM EDT
[#9]
After trying to feed 300 Savage and .243 AI out of an internal magazine I put a DBM (Magpul) on my 6.5 Creedmoor. Those cases with minimal taper and sharp shoulders don't feed to well from a staggered magazine.

Anything that isn't based on a 308 case will be getting a DBM from here on out. For hunting rifles the HS Precision DBM doesn't stick out very far at all with 5 round mags. I may go that route next time.

Otherwise if you're not being timed I don't see a huge improvement. I always single feed off the bench anyways if I don't have a DBM.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 1:01:53 AM EDT
[#10]
It's your personal preference, I spent enough on an MP40 steel trigger guard for my Remington PSS. That I could of just bought one of the many bottom mag fed lowers and some mags, I don't like the look. I have enough magazine fed type rifles. I wouldn't bother for five rounds, now if your going with ten I could see it justifying the cost and labor.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 10:47:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Their best use is for LE/Mil marksman who might have to switch to glass/barrier penetrating ammo on the fly.

For us, they're VERY convenient for hunting (Going to a new spot? Just drop the mag and walk out). Also if you have a 1-peice scope base or a receiver w/ integral base (Defiance deviant, etc). It makes it VERY hard to top-load.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 2:31:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, top loading can be a pain, if you aren't careful with how you set up your scope.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 8:00:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Installing a PT&D Magazine base and a AI mag was the best investment in my PSS. It renewed my interest in LR shooting. I would not own a Bolt gun with out a detachable magazine.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 1:14:39 AM EDT
[#14]
was the only thing missing from my savage M11 hog hunter.  sent the B&C stock out to CDI precision for the inletting and it has been great.  100 rounds jamming rounds into the internal mag under a one piece scope rail is frustrating and wears the hell out of your thumb if you're trying to shoot groups.  with the magpul AI compatible mags now its way cheaper too.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 1:11:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I used to top feed my 700 in an HS Precision stock, then upgraded to an XLR chassis with the detachable mag. It's very cool looking and definitely easier, but I usually just feed one at a time anyway, so I could definitely live without it.
If I was doing any type of fast shooting or competing at all, the DBM would be basically mandatory.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 5:24:39 PM EDT
[#16]
If you have a Rem 700 ADL. Please detail the steps you take to unload the rounds from the magazine without firing them.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 5:55:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#17]

Originally Posted By SteveOak:

If you have a Rem 700 ADL. Please detail the steps you take to unload the rounds from the magazine without firing them.
View Quote

How I'd do it - push bolt forward until the extractor snaps over the rim, extract/eject, X5.

Or with the rifle tilted up and clockwise, push bolt forward until the feed lips release the round, then pull the bolt back, allowing the round to fall out, X5.

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:55:23 PM EDT
[#18]
If you want to compete in PRS i would highly recommend going with a detachable magazine rifle like the RPR or a modded rem700.  Most stages in PRS are 10-12 round strings.  If you have a malfunction in the middle of a mag it is usually quicker to clear the malfunction and feed a new mag from your belt.

Also don't buy a new remington, their quality control and customer service sucks these days.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:02:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By mort:
If you want to compete in PRS i would highly recommend going with a detachable magazine rifle like the RPR or a modded rem700.  Most stages in PRS are 10-12 round strings.  If you have a malfunction in the middle of a mag it is usually quicker to clear the malfunction and feed a new mag from your belt.

Also don't buy a new remington, their quality control and customer service sucks these days.
View Quote

My new Remington is excellent.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:51:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Rob01:

Got nothing to do with accuracy but for type of shooting. Just laying plinking at 300-600 yards then a DBM isn't needed but if you compete at all in practical/tactical matches then yes a DBM is a huge improvement and a needed item.

No real significant weight difference. It's about end use need. All my rifles have DBMs on them as I find them easier to use and I can use all the mags on my .243, .308 and 6.5 Creedmoor. Much quicker reloads and speed is points in matches.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Originally Posted By HALFNATTYGAINZ:
Tell me, if I were to go out and buy a bolt action rifle. Would it be wise to buy say a RPR over a standard 700 in regards to the magazine system?
Of course I get faster reloads but is it really that much more helpful on a bolt action rifle that's more designed for 300-600 yards?
Would there be any significant weight difference?
Is the detachable mag on a bolt gun an answer with no question? Is it over rated?

Also those who have upgraded their stocks to accept detachable mags, what improvements have you noticed?

Got nothing to do with accuracy but for type of shooting. Just laying plinking at 300-600 yards then a DBM isn't needed but if you compete at all in practical/tactical matches then yes a DBM is a huge improvement and a needed item.

No real significant weight difference. It's about end use need. All my rifles have DBMs on them as I find them easier to use and I can use all the mags on my .243, .308 and 6.5 Creedmoor. Much quicker reloads and speed is points in matches.

What Rob01 said.  Shooting for groups off the bench or hunting, you won't miss not having detachable mags.  

Tactical matches (that try and simulate more serious pursuits) you will HAVE to have them to be competitive.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:08:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FourT6and2] [#21]
Can't shoot tac/PRS matches without a mag. Well you can, but you won't be competitive.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 12:02:52 AM EDT
[#22]
1:25 - 3:05

Link Posted: 9/2/2016 6:22:50 PM EDT
[#23]

Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:

How I'd do it - push bolt forward until the extractor snaps over the rim, extract/eject, X5.

Or with the rifle tilted up and clockwise, push bolt forward until the feed lips release the round, then pull the bolt back, allowing the round to fall out, X5.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:

Originally Posted By SteveOak:

The second way is how I do it. Totally safe and you never even get close to fully chambering a round. I grew up hunting with a Remington 722 and still have one with a blind magazine.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 11:34:29 AM EDT
[#24]
If you are competing then yes, a detachable mag such as the excellent AI mags is important.

For a hunter, recreational shooter, etc, there really is no need. Nice, but not needed at all.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 11:36:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Got magpul bottom metal on the way, going to inlet it to my HS precision stock. Should be entertaining.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 1:51:39 AM EDT
[#26]
I have huge hands, and by the time I get a scope on there,I actually have a fairly hard time getting bullets loaded into a blind mag with any sort of speed.

Mags that drop are soooo much easier for me, so they are worth it to me
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 4:21:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: roamin] [#27]
Originally Posted By Standard:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Standard:
Originally Posted By mort:

As is my 5R. Lot of marketing support behind the RPR though that always seems to make tales of guns shooting better, and their competition worse. That said I would not trade the 5R for RPR, then again I didn't buy the 5R to compete but if I were competing I'd of gotten an AI or built a custom.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 8:03:40 PM EDT
[#28]
My personal experience and preferences:

My 300 wsm is for mostly bench. I have an Alpha 10 round mag for it. Helps me take my time and cool down while I reload.
My .270 is for hunting. Internal mag. It's nice to slowly open the bolt, push the round back down to clear the chamber before I climb a tree. Less fumbling around.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top