Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2022 5:40:43 PM EDT
After three days of pain from shooting prone Monday it is time to find/build a portable shooting bench. Does anyone have a recommendation, that’s not $1k+, or plans? I am getting my son a welder this weekend so this could be a good first project for him.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 11:27:25 PM EDT
[#1]
What about a tripod? About as portable as it gets. As far as benches go, I’ve seen all manner of DIY benches, but it’s always been one off stuff that people have just kind of dreamed up. I’d say that it needs to be heavy enough to be stable, yet light enough to carry, so that is a tough hurdle. Unless you’re driving right up to your shooting spot.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 9:44:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I use a folding table, 2'x4'.  But then, I usually shoot off my deck.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 9:53:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:37:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BoomToob:
What about a tripod? About as portable as it gets. As far as benches go, I’ve seen all manner of DIY benches, but it’s always been one off stuff that people have just kind of dreamed up. I’d say that it needs to be heavy enough to be stable, yet light enough to carry, so that is a tough hurdle. Unless you’re driving right up to your shooting spot.
View Quote

I can drive up to our shooting spots so it just needs to be portable. Agreed, heavier is better. I am thinking a metal frame with removable legs and a 3/4-1” ply top. We have a lot of metal to work with so I just need to make a decent design.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:38:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By mi650:
View Quote

I have done that a few times out to 600 yds. I want to use this at 1,000-1,600 yds and I am not sure about the stability for shooting that far.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:42:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By 3seven4:
Caldwell stable table.
View Quote

Looks pretty good. Having never shot from a swivel base I wonder what it’s like. I’ll have to try and find one to check out.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 11:47:20 PM EDT
[#7]
The MTM High-Low shooting table works well for as light as it is.  The tripod legs are very adaptable to terrain. Table top is small.  It wouldn’t be hard to build a larger, stiffer table top that mounts to the tripod legs.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 1:13:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By KalmanPhilter:
The MTM High-Low shooting table works well for as light as it is.  The tripod legs are very adaptable to terrain. Table top is small.  It wouldn’t be hard to build a larger, stiffer table top that mounts to the tripod legs.
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 1:18:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: drfroglegs] [#9]
I built my own. I wanted something both portable and heavy as shit.

It will fit in the back of my truck perfectly and also folds up against the wall. It has rollers on it because I keep it in thr garage and just wheel it outside when I want to use it.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

If you're familiar with sketch up I think I still have the files I can send.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 7:13:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By drfroglegs:
I built my own. I wanted something both portable and heavy as shit.

It will fit in the back of my truck perfectly and also folds up against the wall. It has rollers on it because I keep it in thr garage and just wheel it outside when I want to use it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/322543/20201218_235324_jpg-2265235.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/322543/20201218_235335_jpg-2265234.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/322543/20201228_160437_jpg-2265233.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/322543/20201228_170538_jpg-2265236.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/322543/20210103_163924_jpg-2265231.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/322543/20210104_192856_jpg-2265237.JPG

If you're familiar with sketch up I think I still have the files I can send.
View Quote

Cool! Looks good. Looks like a good size. No need for the file as your pictures do a great job. I am going to have my son weld it up for me.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 11:20:38 AM EDT
[#11]
http://portercalls.com/portable_shooting_bench.htm

I’ve built several of these for myself, friends and family. They work great
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 1:53:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Tripod pipe chain vise --- I bought one for $50...from a guest on our range, that he made some additions too.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 5:58:35 PM EDT
[#13]
This guy sets on the wrong side but that's an easy fix.

Portable Shooting table
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 6:58:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Heres the one I built. 3 legs for stability on uneven ground. Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

3/4 ply, hardwood wedges, pipe flanges and pipes. Legs unscrew for transport.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 11:34:40 AM EDT
[#15]

Easy enough!
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 11:57:23 PM EDT
[#16]
I knew someone who modified a portable ironing board.  Worked great.  One time I brought this up for an option at the conservation club, and people gave me a blank stare like that was the silliest idea.  Either that or they were so dense they couldn't fathom it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 12:29:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Moondog:I knew someone who modified a portable ironing board.  Worked great.  One time I brought this up for an option at the conservation club, and people gave me a blank stare like that was the silliest idea.  Either that or they were so dense they couldn't fathom it.
View Quote

And adjustable for height.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 7:44:20 PM EDT
[#18]
I know this thread is a year old, but I wanted to thank you again for sending the plans for your bench.  I also saved the pics that you posted.  I'm only planning on one deviation.  I'm going to put larger wheels on it because I'll be rolling it on grass, mowed grass, but grass nonetheless.

Again, thanks a lot,
Gil
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 8:28:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By PPCCFI:
I know this thread is a year old, but I wanted to thank you again for sending the plans for your bench.  I also saved the pics that you posted.  I'm only planning on one deviation.  I'm going to put larger wheels on it because I'll be rolling it on grass, mowed grass, but grass nonetheless.

Again, thanks a lot,
Gil
View Quote

Post a pic when you get it built!
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 10:11:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By SpeyRod:

I have done that a few times out to 600 yds. I want to use this at 1,000-1,600 yds and I am not sure about the stability for shooting that far.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SpeyRod:
Originally Posted By mi650:

I welded up a bench but every few years I have to replace the 2x6 top. I keep a round bale of hay next to it and find myself shooting off it more and more. There was a You Tube video of a pallet being made into a bench. When I worked the coal mine I had a cable spool that was nice. It was way easier to load on the 4 wheeler trailer just roll it up the ramp.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 8:01:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By sparkyD:

I welded up a bench but every few years I have to replace the 2x6 top. I keep a round bale of hay next to it and find myself shooting off it more and more. There was a You Tube video of a pallet being made into a bench. When I worked the coal mine I had a cable spool that was nice. It was way easier to load on the 4 wheeler trailer just roll it up the ramp.
View Quote

I still haven’t made the leap yet. Funny I was thinking about this Monday. Now that it is cooling off I am thinking about shooting long distance again.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 12:55:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TargetShooter2] [#22]
this is my latest  all aluminum except for the seat
will get some aluminum tube and tig up a seat .
the wooden one with fold up table legs i keep
in my reloading room ,

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 3:25:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By TargetShooter2:
this is my latest  all aluminum except for the seat
will get some aluminum tube and tig up a seat .
the wooden one with fold up table legs i keep
in my reloading room ,

https://i.imgur.com/cO2AQ90.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/56uBiGi.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/VFEd2U3.jpg
View Quote

Works for me. Son pulled out his welder and did a little practicing. Need to get him on task.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:59:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SpeyRod] [#24]
Ok, past due update. Kept putting this off due to other happenings. Had to move a safe which gave me an excuse to buy some smooth ply. After the move I told my 18yo son what I wanted and he said “OK.” We drew this out, bought some 1 1/2” galvanized parts and went to town. Just a small amount of flare in the legs and I have some short extensions for front or rear depending on gradient. Straps that hold legs when collapsed act as bipod braces. Need to cut one short strap for a more compact gun I shoot. First time my son used a jig saw, spade bit or a router. He loves this stuff.

Top:
Attachment Attached File

Bottom:
Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top