Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2017 12:35:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CanNevrHaveEnuffGuns]
The ammo thread for Hornady 143 ELDX indicated some positive results, but I wasn't getting them in my 7mm-08.

143gr 6.5 ELD-X Hornady

I took Rob's advice and started over from square 1. I loaded 5 slugs of 7mm 162 ELDX's into once fired cases and carefully loaded them into the chamber of my rifle.

My results were... interesting. Hornady's recommended COAL is 2.755. The bullets themselves hug tightly around 1.49"-1.489". My dummy rounds came out 2.92", 3x 2.93" and one curious guy came out 2.96". I started them all at 2.98". I tried again and that same case, same bullet came out the same way. That slug showed signs of a bit of rubbing but the rest looked pretty clean.

Previously, I was having problems with the bullets at longer load lengths coming out scored on one side near the start of the ogive.

One showed that, out of these 5.

My conclusion is that I will base my reload  off of 2.93 COAL, and load closer to 2.91 or 2.905. That allows the bullet to be about 41% seated with .336 protruding below the neck, if the cartridge is pretty close to stated specs.

It seems like this % seated and protrusion into the case is much more closely in line with the ELD's for .260 and 6.5 CM.

The Hornady load book length of 2.755 stuffs these bullets in deep, seating 52% of the slug and jutting .486 below the neck.

I'm going to load some up and will post results. Please provide me feedback- I'm a newer reloader and I'm working on a plain RCBS FL die set.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 6:34:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rn22723] [#1]
Are you measuring tip to base? Serves no purpose for accuracy related functions! Just a point of reference for being over mag length!
Are you using a comparator? so you accurately measure ogive to base?  this is the measurement that matters!
Get the right stuff for the job!  Why cripple yourself with guessing

Chasing the lands in hunting rifle is counter productive.  You want ammo that loads from the magazine smoothly for follow on shots if necessary.
Bullets can be plenty accurate at magazine length.  Probably more accurate than the shooter!
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 10:56:15 PM EDT
[#2]
If your not 100% set on the 162eld, dropping to the 150 may be better for your rifle.

I am in the process of working up a gas gun load with  the 150 eld and 4064.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 4:32:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the advice. I had never used the comparator kit before and didn't know how useful it was!

I also debated using the 150's based on my twist rate.

Haven't had time to load them up yet because wife was out, but I'll get loaded soon.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 8:31:29 PM EDT
[#4]
BC is plenty high on that 150gr ELD-X if their numbers are accurate.

It's higher than a 130gr VLD in 6.5mm, which is adequate for long range hunting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top