Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2022 9:54:55 PM EDT
A few months ago I noticed my brass chambering tighter. I adjusted my cam over according to lee's
directions which kinda fixed or at least improved the chambering. I bought a Hornady case gauge recently
and noticed I have fixed most of the brass but a few I noticed have the case head slightly stick out of the gauge.
I watched a video on cam over and it's possible that I wasn't adjusting enough. Even with adjusting the cam over more aggressive but
not too tight, it didn't improve the seating in the gauge. However, these cases that fail the gauge
chamber like butter.  Is this anything that I should be concerned with as these cases only have been fired a
few times and never to max. Just not sure what I can do to get these cases to pass. I normally neck sized until I had this issue. This is with Hornady brass.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 6:53:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't worry as long as they chamber. The gauge is most likely a minimum spec chamber. It just tells you if it works in it but not your chamber something is wrong. . Your cheer is most likely a little bigger.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 9:36:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 1Coyote-conquest:
I wouldn't worry as long as they chamber. The gauge is most likely a minimum spec chamber. It just tells you if it works in it but not your chamber something is wrong. . Your cheer is most likely a little bigger.
View Quote

That is what I figured but wasn't sure as on a different forum, someone with a similar issue,
the commenters said if the brass fails that brass is trash. It wouldn't chamber is there was an issue.
I should have had a gauge sooner but at least I know brass is fine.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 10:15:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 11:38:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 11:25:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:

You should be measuring bump at the datum line on the shoulder of the brass and bumping it back .001-002" max. The base of the cartridge, as long as it fits in your chamber, doesn't matter. If you are bumping excessively at the shoulder then you are overworking the brass and can get case head separations in the future.
View Quote

I will keep that in mind to check how far back the shoulder being bumped.
I probably should anneal as well. I want to get the most life out of my brass.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top