Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2020 10:51:42 PM EDT
Running to shooting position - stop - shoot the array

Shooting on the move
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 11:21:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ScoutH57] [#1]
Well, sort of depends on the targets and distance I say.  

Definitely times for both. But I'll say most of the time not moving when shooting is preferable.

Having tried both methods on similar stage/practice designs the shot timer says  just moving faster then stopping and shooting is quicker(and more accurate) most of the time
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 12:05:30 AM EDT
[#2]
As has been said:  It depends.

For shooting while moving the best I know of is taught by Roger Phillips who can be found on Paragon Pride forum.  His method even works for when the gun is pointed at you and you want to get 'off the X', draw and fire before the attacker realizes what is happening.  Yes, it can be done.

Then again, other times it can be better to move, stop, shoot, move again, etc.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 7:04:00 AM EDT
[#3]
if you can shoot on the move do it.  It will be faster.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 5:12:28 PM EDT
[#4]
it depends on the game (what scoring system) on the difficulty of the target.  and how much you suck.

If its USPSA hit factor scoring, it is almost always better to shoot while on the move than to run to a spot set up and shoot standing still.  If you can not deliver A zone hits ( or even C's if shooting Major) while moving, then go ahead and run to the spot and shoot standing still,  I bet you will be beat by someone who shot on the move and because doing so,  had a faster time
If the targets are no-shoot partials, then I'd still be shooting on the move, but with more caution.

If its a 2 anywhere to neutralize time plus scoring system like most 3 gun / multigun, then yes, you better be shooting on the move.

If its IDPA, in most matches there is little opportunity to shoot anything on the move.  However, there is often opportunity to shoot while entering a position and/or exiting a position, and that should be done up to your skill level allows to keep 95% in the down 0.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 2:21:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By reelserious:
View Quote

I agree, but that't also a big "if".

When I was younger and had someone else paying for my ammo, I got good enough to shoot on the move, assuming the movement was either forward or towards my strong side. Now that I don't practice every other day, I either step out of the box, shoot, and move again, reloading as I go, or move fast while reloading and stop to shoot before entering the box. Most other competitors I match up with seem to do the same, except for the guys and galls who are exceptionally great shooters.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 2:27:08 PM EDT
[#6]
it depends on the distance or amount of target exposed

...also your technique and even what you’re wearing on your feet

i like merrells because the back of the sole has a smooth roll, that lets you move without bouncing the gun so much

(uspsa / ipsc )
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 9:57:50 AM EDT
[#7]
You never want to do things sequentially if you can do them in parallel. You wouldn't move to a new shooting position and then reload when you could reload on the move and arrive there with a loaded gun.

Similar with moving and shooting.

You're scoring zero points and the clock is ticking if you move without shooting. If you can arrive at the position already having shot some of the targets, that's less shooting you need to do flat footed.

Of course you need to be able to make good enough hits to come out ahead.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 10:26:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By reelserious:
View Quote

Agreed but I usually will stop if I can shoot more than 2 targets from the position. If it is only one or 2 targets from the position, I will try to keep moving while shooting.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 12:43:44 PM EDT
[#9]
If you watch the really good guys they seem to never really stop moving.

Link Posted: 1/8/2021 9:38:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Superluckycat:
If you watch the really good guys they seem to never really stop moving.

View Quote

But a lot of that is how quickly they are in and out of a static firing position. They stop. They just don't stop for any significant amount of time.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 10:32:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 1:05:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rhino_] [#12]
Originally Posted By Fooboy:
Running to shooting position - stop - shoot the array

Shooting on the move
View Quote

Everyone had an opinion and "it depends" is part of almost all of them.

The only way to know if shooting on the move is better for you is for you to do some drills or stages of different scenarios, target presentations, and distances on a timer and compare shooting on the move vs. moving and shooting.

You will probably learn much about your own limits and when it's better to shoot on the move.  As your ability level increases over time, things will change as well.

In my case, it generally works better for me shoot on the move as much as possible given the marksmanship challenges.  I move slower than just about everyone at the matches I shoot, but I move at about the same pace whether I am shooting or not.  It thus makes sense for me shoot while I'm moving.  For others  who have to slow their movement speed too much to get reasonable hits, it may be less beneficial.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 4:50:26 PM EDT
[#13]
The bullet is faster than the feet, if your not shooting you need to be moving.
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 12:11:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I've been back and forth on this trade all season and here is what I can and cannot do reliably:

1. Backing out of a shooting position and taking the last 1-2 paper targets works well on a slow, retreating move - mostly A hits, a few C, very few misses. Gun is fully presented, knees are bent, hips low, back fairly straight, stepping backwards slowly, using drop steps for side to side moves rather than twisting the hips, shoulders stay square to the target. This is actually quite stable and I use it as much as possible to cut down transition time between positions.

2. Firing while decelerating into a new position, essentially the inverse of #1 also works, but is less reliable and gives more Cs and a few misses. I usually take make up shots and as I get better at it hopefully I'll need less make ups.

3. Firing while accelerating toward a target or anywhere near top speed between positions is a total bust for me - almost all misses and if I'm luck a few D hits.

So I'll shoot for the few steps out of a position and the last few steps into a new position, I'll avoid shooting anywhere near top speed between positions, and this approach is definitely working for me.

Lastly, I'll add that I like to enter and leave on paper, shooting steel in between paper. That way I'm still there if the steel doesn't fall.
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 12:14:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Only shoot as fast as you can effectively engage. If the threat is too farto engage while moving, haul ass to a better engagement position
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 10:19:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for all the responses.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top