Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2019 2:54:56 PM EDT
Looking at changing to a double stack 1911 or 2011 in 9mm for mostly competition .  Considering Rock Island Tac Ultra FS HC or the Remington R1 RECON COMMANDER . Both have the rail for mounting a light for night shoots. Any suggestions on which way to go? I know STI is the probably the best option but the price on them , even used is higher than I'm willing to go.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 3:00:49 AM EDT
[#1]
If your already in the 1400 mark. Sell off a firearm you don’t use or shoot much and get a decent used sti. It’s easy enough to pick up one with less than a thousand rounds for 2k. Enough guys buy new sti’s  then upgrade to limcats or custom guns so it’s common enough to find one used..
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 10:35:39 AM EDT
[#2]
well, which divsion?  USPSA? IDPA? IPSC?

I will assume USPSA, as you are looking for pistols that may be a bit hard to conceal.

If I had a budget of $1400 I would start with CZ. But I am a CZ snob.

I would also look that the Walther steel frame match.

Tangfo
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:22:20 AM EDT
[#3]
What discipline?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 7:54:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Mainly 3 gun open. I can get the Rock Island for $650 or the Remington for $840 .
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 8:09:22 PM EDT
[#5]
You're going to get crushed in Open with a single stack

Get the STI. Get a.dot
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 8:29:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Honestly for that purpose I'd just get one of the optics-ready plastic striker guns, take your pick.  Then you'd have flexibility to run in USPSA Carry Optics or Production if you wanted.

Either that or go whole hog and get a legit open gun 2011 like a STI.

Those proprietary design 2011s like the Rock Island are just half measures.  I may have seen one or two at all the matches over the years.  With that said about proprietary designs, I'll contradict myself and suggest you take a look at BUL Armory 2011s.  Another proprietary design but they seem to run well and they're starting to get a lot of aftermarket support.

Let us know what you end up with.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 8:51:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Both are double stack 9mm
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 5:29:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Wife has a rock island tac ultra and I have a para 18-9 (pre Remington). They have been awesome pistols both accurate and reliable.

The rock island with full rail is a heavy gun, but when you shoot 147 grain competition loads the recoil is like a .22. A 7lb recoil spring from wolf is perfect.

Both are in 10K round range with no wear issues. (honestly they probably have more rounds than that through them I really don't keep track).

The tac ultra with a rmr would be a very cost affective way to be competitive, you can spend a ton of money on open stuff... keep in mind a lot of that $ is to shave fractions of seconds. By the time you get to the point a half second matters you'll be ready to upgrade.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 5:12:33 AM EDT
[#9]
For a "budget" double stock 1911/2011 open gun I'd get in contact with Hayes Custom Guns, they build an awesome RIA double stack 1911.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 12:32:11 PM EDT
[#10]
OP check out the RIA upgrades offered by Hayes Custom Guns in Texas. Hayes Also has a YouTube channel with several comparison videos.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 12:23:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for everyone's advice . Ended up getting a new STI STACATTO P in 9mm (4" barrel full rail , took the place of the tactical 4.0)yesterday. It wasn't much more than the Rock Island would have been after sending it to get tuned. Now I need to go shoot the hell out of it and get some mags and a holster.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 7:26:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Also looking for new dbl stack 1911. Found this shop in AZ (V1tactical) has Staccato XC for $4300? What’s everyone’s take on that gun?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top