Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2013 6:47:16 PM EDT
So I have yet to start 3 Gun and and getting my firearms ready. Here is the plan, please give me your 2cents, just not too cold ;)

Currently have a M&P 357sig full size

Plan:
- swap in a 4.95" Storm Lake ported .40 barrel
- Apex CAEK spring set
- Apex AEK aluminum trigger
- Apex RAM

Good Idea???

Reason being I currently have 4 mags for it and the pistol has about 200 rounds through it. i thought about the .40 to 9mm conversion but having the mags already and the knockdown of the .40 drove me this way. Also would the extended ported barrel be a good idea? (accuracy & jump)

Thanks for the help, and pardon the rookie stupidity.

Link Posted: 7/18/2013 6:58:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Ported barrel would put you into Open Division under any 3-gun rulebook I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 4:13:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Get a non-ported 9mm barrel and buy a few 9mm magazines... it will be cheaper and more competitive in the long run. That or simply continue to run your gun in 357SIG caliber for the moment... unless you reload, its not really any disadvantage vs. the .40. The extra power of the .40 has no value in most 3-Gun matches.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 7:19:27 AM EDT
[#3]
How common is .357Sig being used? Pro's/Cons?

thx
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 8:51:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How common is .357Sig being used? Pro's/Cons?

thx
View Quote

Not common at all.

PRO: You own it already, so no upgrade costs.

CON: Ammo is expensive and overpowerful for 3-Gun competition. Reloading bottleneck cases is a PITA. Less mag capacity than 9mm.

Rather than spend $$$ on upgrading your .357SIG pistol, I'd recommend running it as it is for a while. Later on you can consider upgrading or buying yourself a completely new pistol when you know that (1) 3-Gun is really for you, and (2) you know what the best pistol will be for your local matches.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 11:40:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Thx for the input. Luckily I reload it.  But I still gotta look at the Shotgun phase too so naturally looking to work with what I got.

I'll take your advice and run what I got until i have a better Idea on what i want.

IYHO is the Apex upgrade worth it over stock hinged M&P triggers?

Thx
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 5:12:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I run an M&P9 with Apex DCAEK in USPSA Production (pistol-only matches) and in IMA 3-Gun. It works well for me and I would not change a thing. The DCAEK uses the original M&P trigger, just replacing the sear and several springs... an inexpensive modification that greatly improves the trigger pull without impacting reliability or making the gun Production-illegal.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 5:17:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't forget to get an APEX sear.  Makes a huge difference in the weight and feel of the trigger.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 10:28:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I run an M&P9 with Apex DCAEK in USPSA Production (pistol-only matches) and in IMA 3-Gun. It works well for me and I would not change a thing. The DCAEK uses the original M&P trigger, just replacing the sear and several springs... an inexpensive modification that greatly improves the trigger pull without impacting reliability or making the gun Production-illegal.

Thanks, every bit helps.  Any thoughts on the addition of the AEK aluminum trigger?  The RAM?  CAEK? Would 3lbs be too light?

Sorry if asking alot, just see all these options and have little experience other than stock.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 11:12:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Any thoughts on the addition of the AEK aluminum trigger? The RAM? CAEK? Would 3lbs be too light?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:37:44 AM EDT
[#10]
3lbs is by no means too light. It also depends on your shooting ability and what else the gun is used for
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:16:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:03:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Would running the CAEK make it production Illegal? Or would a new trigger? Or both?

Thx
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top