Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2012 3:12:21 PM EDT
Hey guys I am new to 3 gun and would like to know what type of shotgun ammo is typically used in the matches? I know slugs are used every now and then but what about the rest of the time? Thanks for the help
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 3:44:42 PM EDT
[#1]
As with "most" things in 3-gun, the appropriate shot size is most often dictated by target type and personal preference. I run Remington Heavy Dove 1 1/8oz, 7.5 shot for probably 75% of targets I shoot in competition.

For close-in clays(10 yards or less), I use either 8 or 8.5 Fiocchi Spreaders.

For Heavy Steel, steel that's "sticky" due to mud on the base, or for those times where two targets are lined up and I want to use one shot to knock both down, I use high-brass pheasant loads, usually 1 1/4 oz of either 4 or 6 shot.

For the few matches that allow it, I sometimes use #4 buck for extra heavy steel or if I'm shooting a very long distance at steel, typically from an advantagetous "gamer" position.

If shooting an MGM Spinner, I'd use Federal Flight Control Buck (assuming the match allows the use of Buck).  If the flight conrol buck wasn't an option, I'd go with the high-brass pheasant loads.  

For Slugs, I use Fiocchi 1oz reduced recoil slugs because my M2 shoots them accurately and reliably, but this can change from gun to gun.  My back-up M2 doesn't shoot the Fiocchi slugs as accurately as my primary gun.  Some prefer S&B, Remington Reduced recoil slugs, or other types.  

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 8:59:35 AM EDT
[#2]
The best answer is whatever will reliably run in your gun. Some people can run federal Wally world bulk packs and never have an issue, others won't. Buy a few boxes of some different kinds and see what the guns likes/doesn't like.
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 11:36:39 AM EDT
[#3]
What Fullauto_Shooter said. However, I use Federal Truball Low Recoil (LEB127LRS) for 2 reasons: they shoot straight from my 1100, and they are blue, so I can color code. Blue for slugs, red for buck, green for birdshot, and purple for spreaders.
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 1:38:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 5:31:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I run #6 across the board, and so far has worked for me (in the cases where I do my part).  Granted I was running an 18" cylinder bore, and this year I am trying out a longer barrel with chokes.

I am assuming that you are running an auto, so the advice to find some that work *reliably* in your shotgun is excellent.  Then you can go from there.  I also color code my shells.

-Corn

Link Posted: 3/23/2012 5:49:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 10:48:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Jesse,

What all stays in your bag.  Obviously #7.5 or 8 bird shot, but what else.  A couple boxes of slugs? buck shot? #6's?
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 1:17:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 1:06:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Jesse,

Shooting all #6 for me is not at all expensive as I reload them.  It is cheaper for me than to buy the bargain bin #7.5's here in Montana.  The shot cost is the same up front, so that is why I went with the larger pellets.  Plus I also tune the load so that my sons (10, 12), can shoot them too.  I do not know of any other people in the state that reload their shot though..

-Corn
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 1:40:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 6:42:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Sure Jesse, you say sweet!!  :D  When I started 3 Gun it was a jump in ammo expenditure, but with the boys now shooting them, it is 3x the expenditure!!  It is nice to have them out there and active, and it is a family event.  Still cheaper then taking them to the ski slopes for a day though. So it is all perspective I guess.  The last time I went to get shot I noticed they have #5 and #4 there too, and almost bought that.  My (as in not the boys) #6 load thumps the steel pretty good already..  I have had more than a few ask what loads I was buying.

If anyone out there wants to know how/what I use for my reloads, ask away.  I am pretty sure there are few out there that do, even though it is very common in the shotgun world.

-Corn
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top