Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2012 6:41:52 PM EDT
I currently have two choices, which should I start with?

Benelli M1 Super 90 Tactical - 18.5 inch barrel, pistol grip, ghost ring sight, and extension tube.
Benelli Nova - 28 inch barrel with red bar sight

I don't think either is ideal but that's what I have available now and just want to give 3 gun a try. Take both and decide based on course?

Brian
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 12:34:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Not having chokes will put you at a much larger disadvantage than having to pump the gun. Get a Nordic Components extension for your Nova and run that for now, that will be the most affordable way to get you started. If you find you enjoy 3-Gun, try to track down a 21-26” vent rib barrel for your M1.
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 10:20:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 10:52:12 AM EDT
[#3]
You can also get a longer barrel and extension for the M1 and try it that way. If you want to change back to the 18.5" all ya gotta do is swap barrels. Just another idea..
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 12:29:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Both guns have removable chokes. My biggest concern is hitting targets flying through the air with the M1 given it has rifle sights. I have my eye out for a longer barrel with a raised rib and non-pistol grip stock for the M1.

Thanks,

Brian
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 1:31:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 5:40:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Alright! I'm planning on giving it a go next weekend at the Midwest 3-Gun (CMMG) match, I'll take both just in case. I'll let you all know how it turns out. I'm going to try to hit the range this week and practice breaking birds with it. I'm off to the basement to load some .223 and clean a few guns.

Brian
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 7:40:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not having chokes will put you at a much larger disadvantage than having to pump the gun. Get a Nordic Components extension for your Nova and run that for now, that will be the most affordable way to get you started. If you find you enjoy 3-Gun, try to track down a 21-26” vent rib barrel for your M1.

That depends on the match.  The stuff we shoot at our local matches will fall 90% of the time with a cyclinder choke.

I'd start with the M1.  Take both guns to the match with you though just in case.  If you want to get a choke installed in that gun call Steve Rose at Rose Action Sports.

I was just basing my opinion off the experience I had at my first 3-gun. Was running my old Winchester Defender with an 18" cylinder bore barrel. Worked just fine on clay targets, but the steel was a bitch. Then there was the spinner, no possible way that was going to happen ( knowing that, it was a one shot and done deal). You're right though it would all depend on the match. Seeing later in the thread that the OP has interchangeable chokes in the M1, I would definitely go with that.
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 11:19:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Having gone through my first match now I can report that the M1 in its current config (pistol grip, 18.5" barrel, and ghost ring sights, 7 round tube) was more than capable. I would reiterate that having the ability to swap chokes is a must have. The folks with fixed cylinder bore guns couldn't compete on the stage with a spinner. A full choke and 7.5 loads made short work of it. I think I would have been fine on the clay pigeons if I hadn't experienced issues with the M1 cycling. I honestly believe it was operator error but need to get to the range to confirm. They had us loading the tube but leaving the chamber empty. On 3 of the 4 stages my first shots went click and a live round with no primer strike was ejected when the bolt was cycled. In some cases subsequent shots fired and others didn't. On the 4th stage it worked flawlessly. Using tape as a guide I did some testing at home and it appears to strike every time I pull the bolt back and release it, but if I follow the same procedure I used at the match it doesn't. I'll try together document the procedure and post back. Anyone experienced this before?

Brian
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 12:00:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I've seen the Benelli go "click no bang" numerous times in my career as an L.E. firearms instructor.  Bolt is failing to go fully into battery whether by riding the charging handle or just a dry bolt carrier group.  Visually inspect and  make sure the extractor in in the 2 oclock position when you make ready and not 4 oclock.  This means the bolt is fully closed.  Otherwise when the hammer falls it expends it's intertia seating the bolt and not firing the round.
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 8:09:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 12:03:00 PM EDT
[#11]
What do you all think of the Versa Max tactical?  I can order one from the Exchange on base and have it soon...
Link Posted: 4/12/2012 8:43:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Update: Video evidence from the match has shown me that the bolt was not closing fully. On trigger pull you can clearly see the hammer drive the bolt closed but by then there isn't enough energy to strike the primer. At this point I think I have resolved the issue by apply more lube to the bolt rails. I had cleaned the shotgun prior to the match and it looks like I wasn't liberal enough with the lube. I've tested repeatedly during dry fire drills and the bolt now closes reliably (though without ammo). I need to get back out to the range to confirm.

Brian
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 7:04:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Benelli M1/M2, minimum 21" barrel.  Longer than that, have it cut down by Briley and have them cut it for their chokes.  Buy once, cry once.  

FNH SLP is the only other one to consider IMHO.

Rich
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top