Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2018 11:35:43 AM EDT
Hello, just curious if anyone could give me their opinion on a few O/U's. I am just starting to get into sporting clays and was hoping to get some advice from someone a little more experienced.

My options are CZ Redhead Premier, CZ Ultralight, Weatherby Orion, Franchi Instinct L, Steven 555 Enhanced.

All feedback is appreciated. Thanks
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 11:48:32 AM EDT
[#1]
It you are just starting out... use whatever autoloader you currently own. If you decide that you like the game, then you can spend money on a quality (Beretta / Browning) over-under. Those shotguns you listed are not made for high volume shooting.

Accountant
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 12:01:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Accountant30339:
It you are just starting out... use whatever autoloader you currently own. If you decide that you like the game, then you can spend money on a quality (Beretta / Browning) over-under. Those shotguns you listed are not made for high volume shooting.

Accountant
View Quote
what he said
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 12:10:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I should have stated that I have been going and already know that id like to get into shooting clays a little more. I have used my auto loader for the past few months and wanted to get a O/U. With my work schedule my only day off is about every other Sunday. So I would only be shooting about 2-3 times a month. my LGS has a used Weatherby Orion III, are these decent quality shotguns? Im not going to be shooting 3 times a week I was just looking to get something decent for now. Eventually I plan on getting a browning but currently I can't make that kind of investment on a shotgun.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 12:27:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I believe the orion iii was made by skb.  It should be ok as a first gun.   Lot of them had 26" bbls and were field guns, if that's what you're looking at it wouldn't be the best choice for a clays gun.

Im not real familuar with them, but I think you can tell from the sn if it was skb built or fausti built.  From what I can tell the skb built guns are pretty solid.  Not a Beretta or a Browning, but decent enough.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 1:29:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By johnh57:
I believe the orion iii was made by skb.  It should be ok as a first gun.   Lot of them had 26" bbls and were field guns, if that's what you're looking at it wouldn't be the best choice for a clays gun.

Im not real familuar with them, but I think you can tell from the sn if it was skb built or fausti built.  From what I can tell the skb built guns are pretty solid.  Not a Beretta or a Browning, but decent enough.
View Quote
Look for an older Ithaca SKB or just an SKB, / Weatherby SKB. SKB built guns are just as good as Browning / Beretta guns. SKB guns don't get the press as the B guns and therefore don't command the same price as a rule. You can't go wrong with one and they are head and shoulders above the current guns you mentioned.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 8:26:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm in a similar boat. I'm looking at offerings from Mossberg and the CZ Drake line. Both are sub-$600 new but the CZ has a southpaw friendly version. I already have a semi auto Girsan Benelli clone but I figured it's time for a O/U.
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 5:23:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Have you decided on a shotgun? Still searching the market for a nice used beretta or browning....
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 5:30:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bladeswitcher] [#8]
New over/unders that can be bought for $600 are not a good investment. They won't hold up under heavy use and have terrible resale.

A decent USED over/under costs $1,000 or more. Bump your budget to $1,000 and look for a used Browning or Beretta that's new enough to have screw-in chokes. Don't buy barrels shorter than 28" and 30" is better.

You may not want to follow this advice but you should. If you don't follow it at first, you will later. You're going to buy the B-gun eventually. The only question is whether you want to piss away money on something else first.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 7:29:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Spend the money.  get a beretta o/u.    They can be had for ~$1800. And a good solid gun for clay shooting.  Brownings are also solid. I started off shooting a browning gti for skeet shooting.  Now I have a kreighoff. Good luck
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 7:30:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Spend the money.  get a beretta o/u.    They can be had for ~$1800. And a good solid gun for clay shooting.  Brownings are also solid. I started off shooting a browning gti for skeet shooting.  Now I have a kreighoff. Good luck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top