Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2016 12:31:30 AM EDT
Ok, Please share some opinions here.
I am looking for a 3 gun shotgun and am torn between the Versa Max or the Stoeger M3K. Stoeger have been told out of the box and for the price a good gun. On the Versa max I was looking to buy the basic 28" version for around 800 bucks then buying the tactical bolt release, charging handle, 22" barrel and mag extension and converting it over to a competition gun for 3 gun, but if I ever wanted to use the versa max for skeet, hunting ect I could switch the barrel and mag extension back and forth instead of buying the Versa max competition. Also, gives me a chance to spread the paycheck out too.

Any opinions please?

Link Posted: 10/30/2016 1:48:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I will say the same thing that I have said on several other threads regarding the M3k.

Best 3 gun shotgun for $700 (gun plus mag extension).  I have had no issues and it has functioned just as well as any other shotgun.  

Link Posted: 10/31/2016 9:37:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Versamax is the better gun. Gas operated so not ammo sensitive like others can be.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 2:23:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I would say spend $200 on a Rem 870, add an extension, polish it up and shoot a few matches with it.  You will see other guns run, or not, have some quality trigger time in and learn to run the shotgun.  Save your pennies for later.  The last local match I was at was won by a guy with a Nova pump.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 6:53:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dogtired:
The last local match I was at was won by a guy with a Nova pump.
View Quote

Agreed that the auto shotgun vs pump shotgun is not a major factor in 3 gun, since all of the lost time is in reloading.

Additionally, pump shotguns are much "easier".  When the bolt locks open on an auto shotgun during a match it is "Oh crap, now I have to deal with this thing" where as for a pump you just throw in another shell and go
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 10:11:57 AM EDT
[#5]
It depends on what he is getting into. Local outlaw 3 gun matches or 3 gun nation. I started out with a plain jane rem 870 and did pretty well at my local matches. Got to my first 3 gun nation match and on the 1st stage realized my 870 wasnt gonna cut it at that level. Every match he shoots at as a new shooter he is going to be learning things and trying out what works for him. If there is the slightest inclination that he is going to stick with 3 gun nation level events then why not go ahead and get a shot gun set up for 3 gun.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 9:11:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Thx guys for your input!
I ended going with the Remington Versa Max Competition that I found a great deal on NIB.I think it will do good for me since local matches just for fun is all I will be doing.

I will be looking forward to reading the forums here to learn new stuff and more reasons to explain to the wife why I need another gun!

Looking forward to learning!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top