Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2018 11:40:17 PM EDT
Hey all new here and finally decided to compete in 3, well at least give it a try and have some fun. I have a Colt Le6920 and am looking for a red dot that won’t break the bank seen a few ones at my local big box stores was wondering what ones people suggest and would say just stay away from. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 11:54:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: loudxpack] [#1]
If you can give a number for the budget you may get better responses.

But, for the money I’d say the Aimpoint PRO is probably the best bang for the buck. You can find them for under $300 on here in the EE section.

You could also look into the vortex sparc line, or holosun.

I personally have not tried the holosun but I’ve read pretty good things about it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 12:32:36 AM EDT
[#2]
3-400 is what I’m expecting to pay for a good optic to last a while that can be used as I upgrade
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 1:20:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: loudxpack] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By glock870:
3-400 is what I’m expecting to pay for a good optic to last a while that can be used as I upgrade
View Quote
If you are buying new from a retail store near you I would suggest aimpoint pro. If you don’t mind going used you can possibly even find an aimpoint comp, t1, h1/h2 here in the equipment exchange for that price. You could also find an eotech for that price here as well. If you have the option to look through each optic first at the store I’d recommend that so you can see what you like more, and then try to find one on here for cheaper than retail
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 7:28:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Check out the Vortex Spitfire.   You can easily reach out to 200 yards with a 50 yard zero.  The street price is around $200.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 1:12:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Best would be to go to a well attended match and ask to look through a bunch of different ones to see what you like.

I caught the sales on Holosun and really like them so far.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 7:04:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I have two red dots that are great, I’m using a primary arms advanced micro dot on my 9mm SBR. Great product, built solid (tests and videos to prove it on YouTube), lightweight and you can get the optic and mount for $200.
Primary arms advanced micro dot

I also have a Sig Romeo 5 that I won in a raffle on my 5.56 SBR. So far it’s been great but I haven’t been using it that long to give an honest opinion. It’s very small and light, clear dot and glass.

I also have a EOTECH exps-3 I think. Nice optic but is my least favorite to use. It drains batteries faster (I need to replace 1-2 tumes a year) if that bothers you. It’s much heavier in comparison to the other red dots, but still light on a rifle.

Overall I just don’t see any reason to spend big money on an optic that could get beat up in competitions. Especially for something like a red dot. If you needed a scope to reach out to 600+ yards then that would be a different story.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 2:39:03 PM EDT
[#7]
For competitive use, give the Holosun 510c a really hard look.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 2:56:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 6:10:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I have 5 HOLOSUN 510c and use it for PCC competitions and I love them.  Worth every penny
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 6:32:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Another vote for the PRO. Comes with 2 mount heights (one lo-pro, one AR cowitness), a QD-ish mount, and holds up well.

Only off nominal thing is that it uses a weird battery, but you don't have to swap it much.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 6:57:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I’m also a fan of the pro for the money especially if you can find one used for around 300. I also have a few holosuns and like those a lot as well particularly for the circle dot option. But depending on how well you like the sport you are probably going to want to move into the lpvo field rather quickly if the places you shoot have any significant distance.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 7:02:48 PM EDT
[#12]
The Holosun 510c also comes with 2 mount heights. I have one and really dig it. But the aim point is another really good option.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 7:06:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Another vote for 510C.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 7:08:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Aimpoint Pro if you’re buying new.  Aimpoint T1 if willing to buy used.

I don’t hate Eotechs but if this is your “do all” rifle I’d go red dot.

Not a fan of Holosun or some of the other Chinese brands listed here.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 7:10:15 PM EDT
[#15]
For your price range, holosun 510c hands down.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 7:27:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By poortrader:
Check out the Vortex Spitfire.   You can easily reach out to 200 yards with a 50 yard zero.  The street price is around $200.
View Quote
I have one. Pretty nice. Only Vortex I haven't had to send in for warranty.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 8:25:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Guess I'd do another PRO if I needed a new dot. Grabbed a UH1 a while back and really like it too.

However, hopefully the OP has already made up his mind since making this thread nearly 4 years ago
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 9:52:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By TGE:
Guess I'd do another PRO if I needed a new dot. Grabbed a UH1 a while back and really like it too.

However, hopefully the OP has already made up his mind since making this thread nearly 4 years ago
View Quote
22ers.

Link Posted: 4/12/2022 9:56:38 PM EDT
[#19]
I would buy several Sig Romeo 5 optics
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 10:51:51 PM EDT
[#20]
I have become a Holosun fan boy... I'm currently shooting a green circle dot on my rimfire rifle (9" SBR with CMMG bolt, Black Dog magazines) as well as a red 510c (dot) on my Ruger MK IV 5.5" bull barrel (Volquartsen trigger and Striplin mud flaps)

the large window helps center the reticle, and shooting in Florida's bright sun, the solar cell adjusts brightness... the shake awake function appears to offer brighter settings than the manual adjustments... I change batteries once a year
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top