Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2012 6:06:52 PM EDT
I believe I am going to start going to 3 gun events. I do have a few questions on which pistols and shotguns are being used.

I am good in the rifle department but my questions are below:

Pistol:

Is 9mm the way to go? This is the caliber I had planned on using

I'm not buying a 2011 or some other high end pistol. I wanna keep this <700$

Springfield XDm...I currently have a few pistols from .380 to .45. My favorite carry piece is an XDSC in 9mm. I realize that this is not ideal for 3 gun as it has a pretty short barrel and sight radius. Knowing that I really like this gun, is one of the newer XDm models a good choice for 3 gun? If so, would a 5.25 be more ideal than the 4.5? I know the 5.25 has the fiber optic front sights and extended sight radius...

Glock...I have never been a fan of the grip angle of the glocks. That being said, I have still been looking into them. In particular, the new 34, and one of the long slide 17 models. Can someone give me the pros and cons of these.

M&P Pro 5" I had an M&P 40c that I got rid of after a year or so, but have no experience with their larger models.

Availability of aftermarket parts and ease of modification are both considerations to me

Shotguns...
I dont plan on spending 1k on a shotgun, plain and simple. I have basically been looking at 3 different models

Mossberg 930. Its semi auto and in my price range for a "stock" shotgun

Mossberg 500s and 590s...pumps, but is there truly and advantage with a semi? Serious question, as I dont know. these are well in my price range

TriStar semi auto...guns and ammo Southaven have a semi auto model that is less than 400$. Is there a reason they are this cheap?

Give me some feedback and input if you would. I'd like to start attending events this spring

Again, availability of aftermarket parts and ease of modification are both considerations to me. Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 1/23/2012 1:48:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Of the choices you gave, the Springfield XDM 5.25 would be the way I went.  I don't think there's enough of an advantage to any one of the major polymer guns (Glock, XD, M&P) to drive you to choose one over the others.  If you like the feel of the XDM and shoot it well, get that one.  And I'd get the longest sight radius I could, as there are folks who like to set nasty little steel targets for pistols.  Longer radius helps with accuracy due to sight alignment.  Lack of external safeties are a benefit for abandoning firearms, so the Glock/XDM/M&P have an advantage there.

9mm does seem to be the way most folks are going.  It depends on the matches you shoot.  My local club just switched from a major/minor scoring system on pistols to something similar to the IMA system.  If the matches you're going to shoot score major/minor, a .40 MIGHT be beneficial.  If they score with the "1 A/B or 2 on paper to neutralize", then 9mm is a big advantage due to capacity and reduction of recoil.

For shotguns, yes you should try to get an auto.  It's possible to run a pump as fast as a guy shooting an autoloader, but it takes significant work to get there.  The Mossberg 930 is a durable, reliable, proven semiauto that you'll be able to shoot for a long time.  There are aftermarket accessories available, and guys who can modify it when you're ready to be a more "gamey" gun.  One thing to consider with the 930 is that the Jerry Miculek version was just announced at Shot show.  That may be under your $1000 number and come with a lot of the competition modifications already done to it.

One thing to keep in mind with the Mossbergs is that some of them come with barrel porting.  In some venues, that will bump you into OPEN class against the race guns and AR's with multiple optics.  There are ways to close those ports involving add-on barrel clamps - but it's something to be aware of when you're picking your gun.
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 6:54:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Pistol:  You really can't go wrong with the advice given above.  I shoot an XD Tactical (5") which is the same length as my 1911 I shoot in IDPA.  I chose the XD series because it carries a metric crap-ton of bullets,I liked the feel of the grips, and there was one available in my price range the day I Went to the gun store.  Nothing more, nothing less.  Any of the guns you mentioned will work very well for 3G.  I have seen all of them on the range.

Shotgun:  Don't even waste your time with buying a pump gun.  While my 11-87 is nothing to write home about, it will shoot circles around most guys who are shooting a Mossberg 500 or 590.  While those guns are fine for home defense (because as we all know, merely racking the pump will make an intruder actually shit himself to death), unless you're shooting the Heavy Metal division, you won't be nearly as competative as the guys shooting those fast loading Benellis and FNHs.

If you want to talk more shop, feel free to send me an IM.
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 7:43:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Springfield XDM 5.25

Mossberg JM930  

Link Posted: 1/25/2012 3:09:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Can't go wrong with the Xdm..that would be my choice for a striker fired/polymer pistol.
Can't go wrong with the 930 aswell..see lots of them at matches and shoot with a guy who has the SPX. G2G
Link Posted: 1/29/2012 8:15:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Funny to read, as we did have a local guy shooting for a while with an XD9SC because that is what he had.  Yes he had a heck of a time on those longer targets (he swore it was done to just get 'him), but he had a good time while participating.  I would also agree that pick your polymer choice and get going.  All of those listed are just a little bit different, but are all good pistols.  My son is getting the XDm 9 5.25 to use for 3 Gun and USPSA, and I want to spend some time on it too just to see how it is.

-Corn
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 1:30:42 PM EDT
[#6]
No Sig fans?? I am putting together my equipment for 3 gun as well, and already have shotgun and rifle covered.. I do have 1911 ParaOrdnance, but was planning on using a Sig P226 in 9mm instead for the very reasons sited above.. Personally I cannot shoot a Glock well enough to even thing about using one of them.. I can shoot that Sig like nobody's business though..

Was a Sig P226 not listed just since it wasn't mentioned by the poster, or is there a disadvantage to using one??

Thanks in advance.. flk k
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 4:16:12 PM EDT
[#7]
If you read the original post, the Sig was not mentioned as being a choice.  There have been discussions about this all over the internet, and 59brassman does a good job of summing it up.  There was even a post here somewhere about using a Beretta 92, and that has good information in it as well.

If you shoot the Sig the best, why not use it?  I have been using my CZ-75B, and I have had many tell me that is totally the wrong gun to use.  It works for me.  This year I am moving to a 1911 as I am going up to Heavy Metal, and my son who is starting is going to use the CZ.  Two of the biggest things I see brought up with regards to the DA/SA pistols is the transition, and the dumping of the pistol during a stage.  If you know what to do, not a big deal.

-Corn
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 5:09:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Was a Sig P226 not listed just since it wasn't mentioned by the poster, or is there a disadvantage to using one??

It wasn't mentioned in the OP.  However, if you shoot a Sig best, there's no reason not to at least try it.  Mec Gar seems to make some pretty decent mags with capacity up to 20 rounds in the 9mm 226, that's nothing to sneeze at.  Just make sure you smack that decocker before you abandon it...

Really, if you're accurate and fast with it, any full size 9mm will probably work for 3 gun.  Most of the guys at my club are either using a Glock, M&P, or 2011 for their pistol.  I shoot my CZ 75 (and have shot my wife's Beretta 92).  There are also a couple guys shooting Sigs, H&K's, and other "service" 9mms.  If you practice with it, I think they're all accurate enough for the game.

The only place where you give something up with the Sig is in aftermarket.  There really aren't many suppliers of competition parts for Sig pistols.  Similar to CZ, Beretta,  and EAA Witness pistols, you only have 1 or 2 places to get competition parts for a Sig (Bruce Gray is one for sure).  If the gun is fine for you as it is, you're good to go.
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 5:19:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Pistol:

Is 9mm the way to go? This is the caliber I had planned on using

As long as MGM isn't supplying your home range with it's SPINNERS you will be good to go.

I can spin them with a 9 if I'm on my game but it ain't pretty. I usually pack a 9mm and something that starts with a 4 when I head out to a match. If I spinners are part of the equation or the pistol steel looks heavy or distant the 9 stays in the truck.

YMMV

Link Posted: 1/31/2012 2:18:45 PM EDT
[#10]
As for pistol the only one I wouldn't get that you mentioned is the glock 17 long slide or 17L. I have a glock 24 (long slide .40) and its a pain for 3 gun. You have to use a race holster which to me is not secure enough or and standard holster that's more difficult to draw, not that draw time makes a huge difference. Between XDMs and Glocks it's whatever feels best to you, ones not really better than the other.

For the shotgun the Mossberg 930 or CZ 712 Utility are both great bargains. If you want a 930 it's probably best to wait for the JM Pro model which is more "3 gun ready". Hopefully it will be out before the spring.
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 10:19:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Out of the choice mentioned I would go with the XDM 5.25 and Mossberg 930.

In the not so distant future, the CZ 712 MAY be available as a race ready shotgun.  The FNH SLP  shotgun is also in the price range mentioned and is ready out of the box.  I would not buy a pump shotgun for Tactical Scope  or Tactical Iron divisions.  Pumps are simply slower to shoot, require more exertion during the stage, and can be difficult to operate in nonstandard positions.  (If you have a pump don't be afraid to bring it out for 3 gun BUT if buying new, get a semi!)

As a CZ guy, I would also recommend considering  the CZ SP01 Shadow.  With its heavy steel frame, it will recoil less than the other pistols mentioned but it won't have the sight radius of the XDM 5.25 or long slide M&P or Glock.  You can shoot the SP01 cocked and locked a la a 1911.  I for one like my pistol to have a thumb safety.

9mm is the only way to go for outlaw 3 gun unless you want to shoot a 2011 where I would consider a .38 Super/Super Comp/9X23 etc.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 8:40:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 1:17:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Wow, what's up with you Glock haters?  The Glock 34 was born for 3-gun, the XDm 5.25's are late to the race...guess what I use for 3-gun.... also I picked up a super cheap used Beretta 1200 FP 6+1+1 for $400 and it's just as fast as a $1000 FN SLP.  Really 99% of this is subjective and whatever your used to is the best tool for the job.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top