Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2016 1:56:23 AM EDT
Sorry for the multi part post (Character limit)

I'm new to 3 gun having only shot two matches to date. I saw a 3 gun nation video on YouTube and thought hey that looks fun. So after a Web search and doing a lot of reading it seemed that the majority of advice was shoot what you have, to learn what you need/want. Since it has been 20 or more years since I was involved with guns I'm way behind on new technology.

So off I went for my first match, My SIG P220 with 2 extra 8 rd mags that I bought in 1992 as a duty gun, my Colt 16" carbine with carry handle and iron sights bought used in 1984 or 85, and my 870 I bought in 79 or 80 with the homemade cut down 18.5" barrel, no sights and no choke. The rifle put me in Tac Irons and I must say I didn't finish first but didn't DQ and man was it fun, all except the loading the shotgun that part sucked. For a belt I used my old duty belt which I didn't realize had shrunk quite a bit while in storage since it just barely fit and when I left LE years ago it was almost to big. I put an AR mag in my back pocket and the shotgun shells in the cargo pocket of an old pair of BDU pants I had, for some reason the pants had shrunk alot in the waist but the length was the same WTH? After the first shotgun stage one of the guys in my squad loaned me a couple of carriers, which was great not that it improved my loading ability since I had shells going every where except in the gun. My second match was a repeat of the first and some of the guys there let me shoot a couple of their AR's which pointed out that the AR has improved a bit since the early 80's.

After 2 matches I realized a couple of things 1, people who shoot 3 gun are some of the nicest and most helpful people you'll find. 2 3 gun is a blast even if you suck at it. 3 I need to update my equipment, but need to update my shooting more.

Link Posted: 10/11/2016 2:18:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Post 2 (If you weren't already bored with my story)

So anyway, I went back and after giving it some thought I decided to shoot Heavy Metal since I love the SIG and I could cheaply update the 870 that just left a .308 rifle. So figured a $1000.00 for the rifle $200.00 for updates for the 870 and then start on the belt etc.. I had a freind who needed to sale his FAL quick, I think maybe there was a loan shark mentioned not sure. So for a 1000.00 I was the proud owner of a FAL. Posted pictures of my new gun and was amazed at the reaction. It seems that FAL's that were made in Belgium are fairly rare and changing the stock, handgaurds and pistol grips are frowned upon by collectors. To make a long story short (ok I realize it's to late to make this story short), I'm in the process of putting the original equipment back on it and then sell it, if what I've seen holds true about prices should be able to go with a DPMS Oacle and a Super Nova for what it will bring.

So all of this brings me to the point of the story. If you've never shot a 3 gun match and/or you have a limited budget. Get out there and shoot what you have! Think about it you can't look worse than I did with my old guns, BDU pants that had buttons straining under a heavy load , a gun belt that cut off circulation to my legs causing me to run very slowly between targets, and lest I forget a trail of shotgun shells leading me back to where the start of the stage was.

Thanks to all of the people who have posted good useful advise here, you've helped more than you know.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:33:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I like it. Glad to hear you had fun.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:31:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Your equipment was Better than my first match, same level of fun.

P220
Winchester 1300, fanny pack of shells
Olympic Ar
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:33:00 PM EDT
[#4]
double bang
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 4:06:14 PM EDT
[#5]
meh
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 10:43:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
meh
View Quote
It's ok.  Lots of people are afraid to shoot matches.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 10:38:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Seems like the 3 gun arms race turns over every 3 years or so. I shot a match 4 years ago and realized I needed a semiautomatic shotgun instead of my pump and some shotshell carriers. So I bought a JM Pro and enough carriers to hold 4 double loads. Next match I shot, I did much better than I should have due to my gear.

3 years later I shot a match and having 16 round pistol mags and the same shotgun loaders actually put me at a handicap and I did worse than I should have. Other folks who kept up with the tech fared much better.

I think the gamer holsters and shotshell carriers are so far removed from practical use as to make the scenarios wholly unrealistic. No one would ever be pumping gas in a bad neighborhood with their shotgun and extension tube plus a washboard looking shell carrier strapped to their beer gut. 

Most of us will never have a shotgun ready to use unless we are at a competition or duck hunting. I am not saying 3 gun should change to 2 gun or anything, but for me the whole point of "practical" shooting competition is to hone self defense skills. And nothing about a big board full of shotgun shells on your belly and a 5 foot long shotgun relates to self defense skills.

Learning to reload fast is a good skill. Buying a bigger magazine to avoid reloading doesn't help you learn to reload faster. 
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 11:33:28 AM EDT
[#8]
I am glad to hear that someone else started with a cargo pocket full of shot gun shells.  I watched some video of my first event and just laughed.  I actually had to have a buddy follow me around reloading pistol mags just to make it through some of the stages.  Sure, I came in dead last, but I didnt DQ and had a blast doing it.

To what I think is the point of this thread, dont be afraid to just go.  Dont wait until you can afford the "right" gear.  Dont wait until you think you have practiced more.  Just go.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:10:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 11:49:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Seems like the 3 gun arms race turns over every 3 years or so. I shot a match 4 years ago and realized I needed a semiautomatic shotgun instead of my pump and some shotshell carriers. So I bought a JM Pro and enough carriers to hold 4 double loads. Next match I shot, I did much better than I should have due to my gear.

3 years later I shot a match and having 16 round pistol mags and the same shotgun loaders actually put me at a handicap and I did worse than I should have. Other folks who kept up with the tech fared much better.

I think the gamer holsters and shotshell carriers are so far removed from practical use as to make the scenarios wholly unrealistic. No one would ever be pumping gas in a bad neighborhood with their shotgun and extension tube plus a washboard looking shell carrier strapped to their beer gut. 

Most of us will never have a shotgun ready to use unless we are at a competition or duck hunting. I am not saying 3 gun should change to 2 gun or anything, but for me the whole point of "practical" shooting competition is to hone self defense skills. And nothing about a big board full of shotgun shells on your belly and a 5 foot long shotgun relates to self defense skills.

Learning to reload fast is a good skill. Buying a bigger magazine to avoid reloading doesn't help you learn to reload faster. 
View Quote
The shotgun is there to slow the super fast guys down.  Or at least it started that way.  Now those guys they were trying to slow down are fast as shit at shotgun reloads.  The thing to remember is that this is just a game.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 7:57:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The shotgun is there to slow the super fast guys down.  Or at least it started that way.  Now those guys they were trying to slow down are fast as shit at shotgun reloads.  The thing to remember is that this is just a game.
View Quote
Yep, its a game and that's how it should be treated.  Nobody is training for real life scenarios
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 7:39:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My first match (of the two!) I used a slung pouch for shotgun shells. it was....less than stellar. then a guy in my squad loaned me a shell carrier for my belt. 
Then i ordered dummy rounds and practiced practiced practiced reloading from the buttcuff and sidesaddle. Still need to practice but did better.

Having a hard time seeing the sights on my pistol as I age, thinking about an optic.

My rifle was good to go, 16" AR with an EOTech, which i love, needed nothing there.

I highly recomend getting out and doing it. Some of the guys where i shoot look like they should be on 3 Gun Nation and are "super serious". they tend not to spend much time resetting the target or interacting with others (this may just be the local guys, New England isn't known for its warm inhabitants), others are like me, guys with guns having a good time, shooting more against themselves than each other. Those guys (and girls) are lots of fun to hang out with.

the most recent match had a bunch of National Guard Infantrymen shooting as part of their drill weekend. They have a great CO.
View Quote
@TimJ
Where in NE do you shoot?

I started shooting USPSA this year and I'm gearing up now for some 3 Gun when the season starts back up in April around here.

I plan on hitting the 3Gun Nation club matches at Wallum Lake.  ........plus there are a bunch of local matches at various clubs here in CT.  

Got the pistol and rifle, working on finding a shotgun.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 10:26:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 8:31:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have shot three gun twice now at Wallum Lake Rod and Gun in northwestern RI. I intend to not miss any, work not imposing, in 2018.

If you are heading over there in the Spring let me know, I'd enjoy saying hello in person!
View Quote
Right on.  Yeah, i most certainly plan to make the Wallum Lake matches in 2018.   Looks like they are the only 3Gun Nation Club level around here.

I will shoot you a IM when April comes around.

Plenty of outlaw matches here in CT too.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 12:35:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yep, its a game and that's how it should be treated.  Nobody is training for real life scenarios
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can get what you want from it.

Nobody says you have to shoot race guns.  Just shoot what you want in whatever division you fit in, and only worry about improving against yourself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top