Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2015 4:51:14 PM EDT
I didn't have a scale to weigh him, but the heart-girth measurement was just a hair over 50" and he was pretty stout. Either way it's the biggest hog I've shot so far and I was excited.

The landowner contacted me Friday morning after finding some fresh rooting and hog sign on his property so my buddy and I drove out there that evening to see if we could get them. After sitting and waiting near the back of the property for a couple hours, we headed to the car to grab some fresh batteries. On our way to the car we spotted him rooting in the field only about 150 yards from the house. We circled around to the left in order to stay downwind (and not shoot toward the house) and then stalked in and set up about 40 yards away. From that distance we could see him wagging his tail as he flipped chunks of mud and grass 4-5 feet in the air.

My buddy was using my 300 blackout with IR Hunter MKII and I was using my 6.8 with an IR laser and PVS-14 since the batteries on my thermal had died. We fired on the count of three as he was quartering away. He stumbled and then turned and started running straight at us - not because he was aware of our presence, but because we had placed ourselves directly between him and the woods where he had come from. As he ran towards us I fired about 5-6 more rounds, each one connecting with that very satisfying thump, before he finally crumbled to the ground. My friend told me afterward that the battery died on the MKII so all he could see after the first shot was the big black blob rapidly closing in on us

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 6:06:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd say you made 300 easy. Nice hog.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 6:34:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd say you made 300 easy. Nice hog.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 6:46:22 PM EDT
[#3]
^^ Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 8:27:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice! When's dinner?
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 11:39:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice shooting Rich.

Sabine bottom?
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 11:42:53 PM EDT
[#6]
He be a big one! Should make a cool euro mount.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 11:33:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Nice shooting Rich.

Sabine bottom?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Nice shooting Rich.

Sabine bottom?

Thanks Justin. It was in Gilmer/Union Hill

Quoted:

Yea, I should probably go back and grab the skull, if the coyotes and buzzards haven't already taken it
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 12:11:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yea, I should probably go back and grab the skull, if the coyotes and buzzards haven't already taken it
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice shooting Rich.

Sabine bottom?

Quoted:

Even if your not into have stuff like that around there are people that buy that stuff to decorate with. So you could make some money on it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top