Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2011 11:58:22 AM EDT
I have read that soaking corn in diesel fuel used for baiting hogs will keep the coons and deer away.  Any experience with this?  The coons are robbing me blind.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 12:35:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have read that soaking corn in diesel fuel used for baiting hogs will keep the coons and deer away.  Any experience with this?  The coons are robbing me blind.  

Yes, it will work. Nothing will eat it but the hogs.

Link Posted: 11/26/2011 3:07:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, it will work. Nothing will eat it but the hogs.

This.
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 4:27:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, I must not have used enough diesel on my corn.  My trap was empty again but not tripped.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 5:30:31 AM EDT
[#4]
What kind of trip are you using? We are about 5000% more likely to have a closed trap with no hogs than an empty trap that isn't closed. It just never happens.
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 1:13:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What kind of trip are you using? We are about 5000% more likely to have a closed trap with no hogs than an empty trap that isn't closed. It just never happens.

Link Posted: 11/28/2011 9:37:03 AM EDT
[#6]
see ya got one, was that with the desiel mix?  trap i had just used corn an took several tries before had any luck... finaly got three small ones...   like the trap they made on the show lady hoggers...  they had ta do some tweeking...   but at least deer can jump out....
Link Posted: 11/28/2011 3:38:51 PM EDT
[#7]
No, this one was caught with corn and rapsberry jello.
Link Posted: 11/29/2011 6:41:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc122/fd4887/2011-11-19_10-21-03_185.jpg

I still can't see the trip.

Link Posted: 11/29/2011 6:56:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like a trap that the hog opens itself and closes automatically.

TRG
Link Posted: 11/29/2011 9:05:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Hog did some serious rooting around in the back of that trap.

I've had some dig out in sandy soil when I didn't check the trap FIRST thing in the morning.
Link Posted: 11/29/2011 11:01:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

TRG

It looks a lot like t he traps that we use but we still put a trip wire on it and have the door open until a hog goes in. If there's no trip line then there shouldn't be any way a hog could get in there, eat all of the corn and then get back out without digging out or flipping the trap over.
Link Posted: 11/29/2011 11:08:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

It looks a lot like t he traps that we use but we still put a trip wire on it and have the door open until a hog goes in. If there's no trip line then there shouldn't be any way a hog could get in there, eat all of the corn and then get back out without digging out or flipping the trap over.

I suspect coons, crows or possums.

Diesel or not, something else ate the corn.

TRG
Link Posted: 11/29/2011 12:10:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

I also don't see the trap tied down.  Isn't this the usual way to keep the hogs from rooting under it or keeping them from getting underneath and getting out the bottom?  Or is it just not needed?

I just finished my hog trap this last weekend.  Now I gotta find a landowner with a hog problem.
Link Posted: 11/29/2011 6:27:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

I also don't see the trap tied down.  Isn't this the usual way to keep the hogs from rooting under it or keeping them from getting underneath and getting out the bottom?  Or is it just not needed?

I just finished my hog trap this last weekend.  Now I gotta find a landowner with a hog problem.

Yep, the trap is tied down.  The trigger for the door is set very light.  If you breath on it the door will slam shut.  Coons, this means war!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/30/2011 3:06:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

For most smaller hogs it's not needed but if you get a big one in there then you'll have trouble. They'll move that trap a LOT farther than you'd think that they ever could. They'll flip it over, move it to an uneven spot and get out under the side, all kinds of stuff.

We usually put a bottom on our traps so that we don't have to worry about it.

Link Posted: 11/30/2011 4:05:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yep, the trap is tied down.  The trigger for the door is set very light.  If you breath on it the door will slam shut.  Coons, this means war!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't see it in the pic; how did you do yours?  I plan to use four T fence posts and either hose clamps or exhaust clamps tied to the posts and the four corners of my trap.

Quoted:

For most smaller hogs it's not needed but if you get a big one in there then you'll have trouble. They'll move that trap a LOT farther than you'd think that they ever could. They'll flip it over, move it to an uneven spot and get out under the side, all kinds of stuff.

I didn't because a) the consensus over on Texasboars.com was that it more a deterrent to hogs entering and b) I didn't see it in this design  How to build a hog trap  and c) it was one less fence panel I had to buy, so I saved some $$$.

Thanks,

Link Posted: 11/30/2011 5:48:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Some of our hunters have traps.
One time they went to check one of them and there was a buck in it.

When they walked up the deer stood up and took off running with the trap.
He ran about 50 yds. before they caught him.
They had a hard time getting him out of the trap.
Link Posted: 11/30/2011 10:08:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I didn't because a) the consensus over on Texasboars.com was that it more a deterrent to hogs entering and b) I didn't see it in this design  How to build a hog trap  and c) it was one less fence panel I had to buy, so I saved some $$$.

We build a lot of them like that because some people don't want bottoms in them. Many people believe that hogs won't go in them with a bottom but it just isn't true. Sure some hogs might not but some hogs won't go into a trap period. We've trapped hundreds, maybe a thousand or more in traps with bottoms.

About the only drawback to having a bottom is that you need a flat spot to set the trap or the bottom panel will be suspended off the ground in some places.  However, with a bottom you don't need to worry about staking it down, them digging out or the trap getting flipped over.

We have a few without bottoms that we use occasionally but I prefer to use the ones with a bottom whenever possible because of what I listed above.

Link Posted: 11/30/2011 10:11:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

We've caught a couple of deer in them before. One was a huge buck that flipped the trap when we approached it to let him out and it was one of the big traps, probably 250lbs.

The best thing to do is to not try to get the deer out of the trap. Just open the door and lock it open and get away and let the deer get out by itself.

Link Posted: 11/30/2011 3:09:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't see it in the pic; how did you do yours?  I plan to use four T fence posts and either hose clamps or exhaust clamps tied to the posts and the four corners of my trap.

Quoted:

Thanks,

I just tie one corner to a tree preventing the trap from being turned over.  About the only thing they can do is spin it around a little but usually they dont.
Link Posted: 11/30/2011 3:11:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I caught a nice buck in mine once.  He was laying down until I walked up and then he went full retard.  I was afraid he would break his neck before I let him out.
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 4:03:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I just tie one corner to a tree preventing the trap from being turned over.  About the only thing they can do is spin it around a little but usually they dont.

Ok, that's good to know.  So maybe two fence posts will work instead of four?  Anything to lessen whatever I have to carry to the trap site.

Thanks,
Link Posted: 12/5/2011 2:57:56 PM EDT
[#23]
has anyone ever built one out of 2*4 and chain link fence??
Link Posted: 12/6/2011 2:58:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

No but I'd be careful with chain link cause you could easily lose them over the top if you're not careful. Other than that it should have any problems holding them.

Link Posted: 12/6/2011 11:16:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No but I'd be careful with chain link cause you could easily lose them over the top if you're not careful. Other than that it should have any problems holding them.

I think that I'm going to try. I don't have the money for a metal one.
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 5:33:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it's not very tall, don't make any corners. Make it all round so that they can't bunch up in a corner. If they do then some hogs will climb up on top of the bunch and get out over the top. If it's all rounded they won't usually get more than two deep or so and they'll spread out around the edge.

Link Posted: 12/7/2011 8:33:24 AM EDT
[#27]
back in the day     used ta build the ol bucking corrals wth post's leaning out a bit...    that way whin the hoss get's ta bucken, it donn't bust your knees,  whin it hungs the corral...
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 5:58:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it's not very tall, don't make any corners. Make it all round so that they can't bunch up in a corner. If they do then some hogs will climb up on top of the bunch and get out over the top. If it's all rounded they won't usually get more than two deep or so and they'll spread out around the edge.

3 feet high
4 feet long
3 feet wide
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 8:35:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

3 feet high
4 feet long
3 feet wide

Is it going to have a top? I was imagining a pen trap in my head so you might not have any issues. If it's a box style trap with a top then you'll be fine. If it's an open top trap then 3' isn't tall enough, they'll jump and climb out.

Link Posted: 12/8/2011 12:14:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

3 feet high
4 feet long
3 feet wide

Is it going to have a top? I was imagining a pen trap in my head so you might not have any issues. If it's a box style trap with a top then you'll be fine. If it's an open top trap then 3' isn't tall enough, they'll jump and climb out.

A box with a trap door.
Link Posted: 12/17/2011 9:06:01 AM EDT
[#31]

Two more this morning!
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 3:06:05 PM EDT
[#32]
caught someone messing with my trap

now i have to relocate
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 4:37:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

now i have to relocate

Details?
Link Posted: 12/20/2011 12:15:06 PM EDT
[#34]
they actually make hog paneling, you can buy it at tractor supply or any farm supply. The only problem you might have is the little ones getting out the bottom but the last 20 sheets of paneling we bought actually had thinner holes at the bottom.

We have been catching quite a few lately, but unfortunately that means my traps havent had as much action. Regardless, diesel soaked corn is a great deterrant for other animals and a bit of hog wild poured over the mix helps as well.
Link Posted: 12/20/2011 3:49:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

now i have to relocate

Details?

my buddy from had built a wooden trap. He wasnt using it so I asked him if I could use it. He said sure no big deal.
I know a guy with some 40 acres outside of town. I asked the land owner he said sure no problem, at anytime I wanted to drop it off it was okay.
I loaded the trap on my buddys truck and off we went. We got to the property and we began to set it up. The best location we found was
on the backside of the property. The landowner has only one neighbro, which happens to be on the backside of the property.
I didnt set the trap on the border line of the property but you can see the fence that seperates the two propertys.
So we set it up and left.

We come back 48hrs later to check and find that the trap went off but noting was found inside.
Note that its the evening now, so the sun is setting.
We begin to check and test everything and reset the trap.
We then notice a flash light walking towards us.
I know that its not the land owner since he drive a golf cart and where more than 300 yards form the house.
All of a sudden I hear some begin to yell
STOP, what are you doing?
So i flash my light and I see some guy standing there.
Me:  who the hell are you?
Guy: what the hell are you doing with my trap?
Me: Excuse me, but this is not your trap.
Guy: The fuck it is, I've been checking this trap ever since I set it up.
Me: Okay now your full of shit. whats your name?
Of course he wouldnt say
Guy: You guys dont have permission to trap here, you need to leave before I call the cops.
Me: Go ahead and call I'll wait. That way you can tell the cop who owns this trap.
Me: Im call the landowner right to end this
Guy: Do what ever you want.

Landowner comes out and tells the guy to fuck and to leave.
Ever since then I find some things adjusted on my trap.
Some reset the trap all wrong, there was a hog in there at one time but someone took it out.
Thins like that keep happening, letting me know that someone is messing with it.

So know I have to move it to a different location or just leave the property
Link Posted: 12/20/2011 4:34:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Flashbangs on a trip wire come to mind.
Link Posted: 12/20/2011 5:33:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I'd tie fishing line trip lines all over the place from tree to tree. Make that guy bust his ass 10 times walking out to the trap.

Link Posted: 12/24/2011 3:46:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd tie fishing line trip lines all over the place from tree to tree. Make that guy bust his ass 10 times walking out to the trap.

That would be a good idea
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 5:58:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Another nice sow this weekend.  Going to make some snack sticks!

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:14:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Another nice sow this weekend.  Going to make some snack sticks!

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc122/fd4887/2011-12-31_12-39-37_254.jpg

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top