Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2015 6:09:23 PM EDT
1/2 acre pond and a few muskrats have taken up residence this summer.  Trapping season starts opens November but I have no clue what I'm doing.  Time to learn a new skill.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:23:13 PM EDT
[#1]
.22rf
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:47:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
.22rf
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:54:24 PM EDT
[#3]
That only works when I can be there traps are 24/7
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:22:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Is there an obvious place where they are going in/out of the water?  What you'll have to do is make some sort of natural looking choke point and use a Conibear 120 trap.  Look into your states trapping regs, especially using these types of traps on land.  Sounds like you are just nuisance trapping, find a local trapper/fur buyer that will take them "in the round", you might be able to at least break even on your trap costs.  Fur prices are way down, which is why many areas are having a raccoon population problem.  

Hoosier Trapper, The Snare Shop, and PCS Outdoors for supplies.  It pays to shop around.  I'm not affiliated with any of them, but have always been treated well by those vendors.  

Any questions PM me.  Plenty of good you tube vids to get you started.  Good luck!

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:02:56 PM EDT
[#5]
110 or 220 conibear traps.

Several good online trapping supply companies if you google.

I use F&T a lot for supplies and traps.

The traps are square and once set put them along the noticeable trails, travel paths and burrow openings. Hold them in place with sharpened sticks through the spring loops on both sides. (It will be obvious once you see the traps)

Make sure to buy a safety designed for setting. About $6 and will save your fingers while setting up.

Get 5 or 6 and set them and check daily. Move them around a little if you don't catch anything in a few days.

Don't know your nuisance laws but most states allow landowners to trap nuisance wildlife out of season. And trust me, muskrats are a nuisance.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top