Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2022 7:56:27 AM EDT
So the best pair of hiking  boots that I’ve owned so far have been a brand called Oboz and these were awesome. They are about finished so I’ve been looking at the Asolo Fugitive or the Lowa Camino’s as a next purchase.
Anybody have any experience with either? I hate to put out that kind of cash and get a hiker that I wished I’d just stuck with Oboz.
Thanks ahead for your help.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 9:04:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ME2112] [#1]
I’ve hiked a LOT of miles in both and it’s 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other. The Fugitives took longer to break in than the Caminos, which were basically broken in out of the box. Maybe a week of wearing them casually after work.

The Fugitives don’t have a Vibram sole but it’s not like they’re slippery. Neither are lightweight boots, being over 3lb in my size (11 wide), but they don’t feel heavy on your feet. It might be that for the past 35 years I’ve worn either combat boots or steel toes almost every day, though. The Fugitives feel lighter on your feet and have a simpler lacing system, the Caminos let you tighten different areas independently and have a tongue-centering stud that works. The main reasons I like my Caminos better are they’re warmer (I snowshoe in them down to 15-20F), and the smooth leather can be beeswaxed to REALLY make it waterproof so the leather doesn’t wet out and freeze in cold weather. Doing that pretty much guarantees they can’t be resoled, though, because the glue won’t stick to the wax-impregnated leather.

The Caminos are on sale right now at Campsaver, for some sizes anyway. They’re on backorder, though, and who knows if the 17-26 day time frame is accurate. I thought about buying another pair but I really need a sturdier pair of insulated hikers than my Vasque ColdSparks for use with snowshoes. And I’d like to try another pair of Salewa Mountain Trainers, in the correct size this time. But $100 off!

You can always buy from REI and return them if they don’t work. I hike in Oboz Sawtooth Low a lot in the summer, and 10” insulated Bridgers are what I’m looking for for my new winter boots. 400g Thinsulate like my Sorels, without the weight or bulk.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 9:27:59 AM EDT
[#2]
If you're going to use them for their intended purpose look hard at weights.

My daily are Lowa Ranger III GTX and they are fantastic boots but heavy. Very durable but if I start scrambling rock halfway through the day I notice the weight.

I just bought a pair of Lowa Innox Pro GTX. They are basically athletic shoe in boot configuration. They are half the weight of the Rangers, night and day difference.

Pack boot / hiking boot basically interchangeable but with compromises in either direction. This is because Lowa builds their boots for very specific purposes and optimize them for THAT purpose.

This is my third pair of Lowa and I'll be staying with the brand for the foreseeable future.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 11:29:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for the detailed responses.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:57:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: shaneus] [#4]
Have had 2 pairs of the Asolo fugitives, have also had a couple of pairs of the Lowa renegades.  Currently wearing a discontinued Asolo boot that is a lot like the fugitive, but even stiffer.

I switched to the Asolo's from the Lowa's due to developing plantar fasciitis.  Needed a stiffer boot.  Coupled with a good arch support insole I have been trouble free for 10 years and love my Asolo's.

Have not had any failures of any sort with the Asolo's, the Lowa's would eventually have stitching failures.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 2:05:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Love my Asolos, but had one pair start to lose the heel (delaminate), but that was after many miles and a few years.  I don't think I've ever got a blister while wearing them.  

I usually only wear them when it's sloppy out, and for hunting.  Trail runners for most of the hiking I do now.

Pros
comfortable
lightweight / not bulky
don't look stupid

Cons
longterm durability
price

Link Posted: 3/10/2022 6:37:01 PM EDT
[#6]
If you are looking for traditional style boots, try here.
Italian leather boots that are great quality. I have a pair of the fuze, and they are built and stitched well.
I prefer getting shoes like these, over trail runners. Yes they are heavy, but after a couple of years, they fit so well, and after the time frame trail runners have worn out. Little bit of maintenance, and they can be resoled many times.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 7:07:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Splat2013] [#7]
My first pair of Lowa's lasted me almost 5 years between every day use at work(in the office and in the field), hiking, hunting, backpacking etc . I'm on my second pair of renegades and am just as happy with them as the first pair. Lightweight, durable and comfortable. Just enough ankle support to be not be constantly rolling my ankles, but still lightweight and flexible enough to run in them occasionally.

I also have a pair of the renegade evo ice boots for winter wear, a bit heavier than the normal renegades but very warm and just as comfortable.

I used to go through a pair of boots a season during the summer for heavy hiking and work, but managing to get years out of a pair of boots has been a game changer with the Lowa's.

My only "complaint" with them is I need to use a pair of superfeet insoles in them to make them a bit more comfortable, I have high arches and this helps a ton. But with the insoles they are perfect and I don't see myself buying a different brand of boots in the future.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 7:09:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 7:44:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: astrocreep96] [#9]
I've had the Asolo Fugitives, they're well made (edit - still technically have them.  I put them in a closet at our family's cabin in case I find myself without a workable pair of boots for hiking).  For some reason I always got a sort of plantar fasciitis-type pain when wearing them for backpacking.  I usually wear Solomon shoes now.

I think my next pair of mid-height boots will be some form of Lowa Renegades.

Either way I think you'll be buying into a good pair of shoes.  Both brands have a great track record.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 8:03:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I love my Asolo's. Have multiple pairs, for different purposes.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 8:29:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Yet another Ginger or Maryanne thread.
Both are very good boots, I have a pair of 6" Asolo and a pair of 8" Lowa and swap between them, both are very comfortable.
I have bought some at REI as they have a short section of mock rocky train for you to test tehm on first.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 5:53:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Splat2013:

I also have a pair of the renegade evo ice boots for winter wear, a bit heavier than the normal renegades but very warm and just as comfortable.
View Quote

Tell me more about these! I’ve seen them online and was tempted to order them, even though I generally make it a rule not to buy anything I haven’t tried on because my feet are weird. I see that they don’t come in wide widths, do they have a medium fit like regular Renegades are are they more roomy to wear with thick socks? About what Thinsulate equivalent would you rate them for warmth, 200g or 400g? I’ve been looking for winter hikingbsnowshoeing boots that are more burly and warmer than my 200g Thinsulate Vasques, but less bulky than my 400g Sorels. These and a Salewa model caught my eye, but I’ve been leaning toward the 10” 400g Oboz Bridgers. I’d prefer something with a Vibram sole if possible, and both the Lowas and Salewas have them.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 8:51:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I wore Asolo's for about 10 years of backpacking,  the the last pair delaminated on a trip and I had to hike out without a sole.  

I usually only go on trails backpacking so i've switched to trail runners and couldn't be happier.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 9:27:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tony-Ri] [#14]
As a user of Merrel and Salomon boots any time I’m not wearing tennis shoes or Haix XR1s, what would be the best model to consider for both everyday office wear and for day and overnight hiking here in VA; looking to switch to more durable leather options. And of course I’ve got wide feet, so options are always limited. Uhg.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 6:06:27 PM EDT
[#15]
I guess the answer to that would depend on your office dress code, but I’d imagine brown leather would go over better than Fugitives. They only come in “wool/black” in wide widths, which is a very light tan with black ankle collar and red accents. They look like bowling shoes to me. As far as durability, both have glued soles and I’d say the nylon & suede of the Fugitive uppers will last just as long as the leather Lowas.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 11:43:05 AM EDT
[#16]
I found both Asolo and Lowa to have a small toe box for me... I went with Zamberlan and Im pleased...
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:17:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Either are GTG. I like the way the Asolos fit so I e stayed with them
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:22:20 PM EDT
[#18]
I have extremely narrow feet and have to have b width narrows. Lowa renegade are the best boots I’ve ever had
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:53:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 53gunner] [#19]
+1 for a Asolos here. Have a pair of Agent GVs I love, they are my daily wear shoes and need to be resoled. I’ve had em about three years and I’m really tough on em. Never had a pair of shoes last that long.
I also have a pair of Landscape GVs. I haven’t worn em much yet but they are damn comfortable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top