Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2022 5:29:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MattR]
I've hunted my whole life, but always deer hunted in LA/TX (with a few random hunts in Missouri and Arkansas). I hunted in North Louisiana, where it was wooded. I currently hunt in South Texas, where it's open but tons of deer, feed pens, and stands. I kill 10+ deer a year (management tags), and have shot a 160"+ deer every year for the last five years.

A few friends and I have gotten the itch to go West and try to hunt some public land. We initially wanted to try an Elk hunt, but it seemed to be difficult to arrange for a first trip. As an easy transition, we decided to try to go on a rifle Mule deer hunt first. I have goHunt access and after research, we are looking at doing a Unit 144/145 Colorado hunt. Unit 8/19 are further but both seem attractive as well. It's within driving distance, and both tag draw odds and harvest success are up a ton from New Mexico.

Any recommendations for this? We already do camping trips so have most of the camping gear down. I have decent Kuiu/Sitka clothing, Crispi boots. While not the most lightweight rifle, I currently hunt with a Seekins Havak PH2 in 300WM. I already have a Viper SS and Binoculars, as well as a CF tripod. I already use a Garmin Montana with GoHunt so can buy the CO maps.
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 11:53:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Following for tips.

Question for OP, do you follow a fitness routine for preparing for these western hunts where you're possibly going to be at altitude?
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 12:06:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not familiar with the area you're looking at but l doubt you'll draw on your first application.  Deer tags aren't handed out so readily anymore.  It'll probably take a couple of attempts.  

If you're unsuccessful on the draw you'll receive what is called a preference point.  The more preference points you have to greater the chance you'll draw the following year.  Trophy areas can take several points to get.  This is usually stated somewhere in the deer/ elk hunting pamphlet.
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 12:19:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Go for it. For the past two years, my buddies and I have hunted a unit out of state (not CO) that requires zero points for a nonresident to draw. It's tough work and our hunt party has a tag out rate of 50%.

Have you hunted out west before? It's going to be very different. Most of your time should be spent glassing. It sounds like you already have the gear you need.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 3:45:10 PM EDT
[#4]
19 had a pretty big fire and most of it is still closed based off my recent research, I was looking at applying for a 1st rifle elk tag this year.

Hunting mule deer in Colorado is nothing like hunting deer in south TX. I tried it back in 2019 and only seen three small bucks over nine days. It was fun though and I enjoyed the experience and the scenery.

I suggest getting on the rokslide and hunttalk forums to learn more in depth about hunting the west and mule deer. I’ve learned a lot from both of those places.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 4:19:50 PM EDT
[#5]
https://www.rokslide.com/forums/
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 12:18:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Definitely check out rokslide, but don’t expect too much help if your first post is asking for tips on a certain unit. Just curious, but is there a reason you don’t want to do an OTC elk hunt for the first time out?
Definitely a different hunt than anything in the south or Midwest, but beautiful country. I hunted unit 82, so I won’t be much help with the other you listed, but can share my gear list if you want some reference to what worked well for me
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 11:50:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By qrprat77:
Following for tips.

Question for OP, do you follow a fitness routine for preparing for these western hunts where you're possibly going to be at altitude?
View Quote

I have already started a fitness routine. HIIT, stairs, long walks with a pack, etc. I bought real hunting boots (Crispi) last year and have put 200+ miles on them already, which seems to be one of the most important things.

From what I've heard, there's nothing that I can really do (being in Louisiana) to be fully prepared. I have no hills, we're at sea level, and it's nothing but dirt and mud.

Originally Posted By Bumblebee_Bob:
I'm not familiar with the area you're looking at but l doubt you'll draw on your first application.  Deer tags aren't handed out so readily anymore.  It'll probably take a couple of attempts.  

If you're unsuccessful on the draw you'll receive what is called a preference point.  The more preference points you have to greater the chance you'll draw the following year.  Trophy areas can take several points to get.  This is usually stated somewhere in the deer/ elk hunting pamphlet.
View Quote

I've been following that. We applied for WY preference points already. I bought an Insider membership to GoHunt and it lists draw percentages. There are plenty of places that 0 points can get a tag at 80% or more chance, but obviously that is for the lower harvest % units or early/1st rifle.

Regardless, we will be applying for tags for Elk and antelope just to get points.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 11:54:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By mp_moody:
Go for it. For the past two years, my buddies and I have hunted a unit out of state (not CO) that requires zero points for a nonresident to draw. It's tough work and our hunt party has a tag out rate of 50%.

Have you hunted out west before? It's going to be very different. Most of your time should be spent glassing. It sounds like you already have the gear you need.
View Quote

I have not. I keep hearing about how tough it is. I think we all are looking forward to that, but I figure it's probably one of those "why are we doing this" events that are much better looking back than in the moment. 50% is not bad from the research I've been doing.

Originally Posted By clharr:
19 had a pretty big fire and most of it is still closed based off my recent research, I was looking at applying for a 1st rifle elk tag this year.

Hunting mule deer in Colorado is nothing like hunting deer in south TX. I tried it back in 2019 and only seen three small bucks over nine days. It was fun though and I enjoyed the experience and the scenery.

I suggest getting on the rokslide and hunttalk forums to learn more in depth about hunting the west and mule deer. I’ve learned a lot from both of those places.
View Quote

I have been ruined by hunting South Texas. Even hunting in the northern part of the state or LA/MS is just a downer now. One of my buddies just got back from a hunt and drove through 144/145 and saw two mule deer the entire time. I guess those are off the list.

I am on Rokslide some, but everyone just seems so experienced that I feel like I can't keep up.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 11:56:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BBrinks:
Definitely check out rokslide, but don’t expect too much help if your first post is asking for tips on a certain unit. Just curious, but is there a reason you don’t want to do an OTC elk hunt for the first time out?
Definitely a different hunt than anything in the south or Midwest, but beautiful country. I hunted unit 82, so I won’t be much help with the other you listed, but can share my gear list if you want some reference to what worked well for me
View Quote

We originally wanted to do elk. I even bought a 300wm finally in preparation. We kind of just came to the conclusion that hunting mulies for the first trip out West would be easier. The guys are open to whatever though. I got in contact with a friend of a friend that is a guide in NM that I'm supposed to get a call from next week so we will see how that goes.

Link Posted: 2/4/2022 1:18:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3BP] [#10]
I hunted CO for Elk last year.  First time out west.  I'm sure it differs from unit to unit, be our guide said even with "guide preference" or whatever he called it, their clients only bat about 50% on deer tags.  They are 100% for elk every year though.

Gear will depend in when you go.  We were there for first rifle and it was 50 one day and 20 and windy as hell the next.....

Altitude scared the crap out of me as I have never been exposed to it.  It wasn't really a huge deal.

As dumb as it sounds, a guy on here reminded me to take plenty of chapstick.  So I brought a bunch.  By day 3 I could have sold it for $25 a tube to all the guys who didnt have any.....

Hunttalk is another good resource.

I am the farthest thing from an expert, but I have heard/read/watched vids where Antelope is highly recommended for a first DIY hunt out west.  Just a thought.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 3:46:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 3BP:
I hunted CO for Elk last year.  First time out west.  I'm sure it differs from unit to unit, be our guide said even with "guide preference" or whatever he called it, their clients only bat about 50% on deer tags.  They are 100% for elk every year though.

Gear will depend in when you go.  We were there for first rifle and it was 50 one day and 20 and windy as hell the next.....

Altitude scared the crap out of me as I have never been exposed to it.  It wasn't really a huge deal.

As dumb as it sounds, a guy on here reminded me to take plenty of chapstick.  So I brought a bunch.  By day 3 I could have sold it for $25 a tube to all the guys who didnt have any.....

Hunttalk is another good resource.

I am the farthest thing from an expert, but I have heard/read/watched vids where Antelope is highly recommended for a first DIY hunt out west.  Just a thought.
View Quote

I was recommended that by a friend who hunts regularly. We would love to do elk but it seemed impossible. I guess it might not be as bad as I thought.

I am looking forward to it either way.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top