Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/15/2018 7:31:05 PM EDT
Now i know this sounds ignorant as crap. But seriously. Im NOT a trophy hunter. I understand why you would not want to shoot a large rack buck in the head. Im a "fill the freezer/eat what I kill" hunter. That being said I want to be as humane as possible. Any reason one would not want to go for a head shot? I figure less chance or ruining meat, and no chance of running/bleeding out. Click, bang, lights out, done. Btw I'm hunting with a sub 1in suppressed 308 w/viper pst gen 2 3x15 so I firearm accuracy isn't an issue IF I can hold my shit together.

Ps. Recommended 308 deer ammo? Price not a factor.
Pps. Do 308ar mags (sr-25 style) come in 10 rounders?
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 7:35:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Aim for body vital. Deer can move their head in a second and now where is you shoot flying to?
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 7:43:35 PM EDT
[#2]
IMHO head shots are risky unless you are really close. Miss and blow the lower jaw off and that animal is going to die a slow painful death. Your objective it to kill humanely and quick.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 7:51:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a deer Sunday flinch and drop her head as I pulled the trigger, hit her in the tip of the lower jaw instead of the heart. I had to stalk and shoot her twice with my 44 model 69 after she turned to run. Had I not finished her she would have died horribly in the next few days or weeks if starvation
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 7:52:58 PM EDT
[#4]
For a 22 no, for 308 yes.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 8:24:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Gotcha. Any good to go 308 recommends? Or will pretty much anything soft point/ hollow point do the trick?
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 8:45:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gotcha. Any good to go 308 recommends? Or will pretty much anything soft point/ hollow point do the trick?
View Quote
Lol wtf I didn't realize it was you.  Just call me boy.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 8:48:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I prefer to shoot them right where the neck and front shoulder meet. A lot less chasing.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 9:04:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Federal fusion or Remington Core-Lokt, in the lungs. You may not have but split second. Take the first good shot you have.  Or read this and pick your brand:  308
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 10:43:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Too much of a chance that the deer will move their head and you could end up blowing the jaw off which will lead to a slow painful death.

Go for a heart/lung, neck base/shoulder shot.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 11:16:51 PM EDT
[#10]
if they're close enough, I aim for the head every time
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 3:35:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Now i know this sounds ignorant as crap. But seriously. Im NOT a trophy hunter. I understand why you would not want to shoot a large rack buck in the head. Im a "fill the freezer/eat what I kill" hunter. That being said I want to be as humane as possible. Any reason one would not want to go for a head shot? I figure less chance or ruining meat, and no chance of running/bleeding out. Click, bang, lights out, done. Btw I'm hunting with a sub 1in suppressed 308 w/viper pst gen 2 3x15 so I firearm accuracy isn't an issue IF I can hold my shit together.

Ps. Recommended 308 deer ammo? Price not a factor.
Pps. Do 308ar mags (sr-25 style) come in 10 rounders?
View Quote
I've had good performance with Rem 150 gr CorLokt and Fed 165gr BTSPs in .308
MagPull does make a 10 rd mag.

CD
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 3:53:23 AM EDT
[#12]
I've heard of alot guys that using some of the lighter bullets (155 Amax, 110 Amax, Varmin Grenade, etc) taking NECK shots on deer. With something that violently frags, I guess a neck shot is pretty much going to DRT the deer on the spot, keep the antlers intact, and not damage any valuable meat - anywhere near the spine and the cavitation hits CNS and anything up front is going to wreck the trachea/arteries.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 3:58:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Bad idea. Animals have quick head movements.  Too risky.  Focus on double lung shots if you can. I shot a deer in the neck once. Ran 200 yards through shit so thick you couldn’t fall down and hit the ground.   I also stopped heart shots. Lungs can process enough o2 to keep running too far.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:34:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Headshots are tough animals move their heads often and quickly, If you miss you can do a lot of damage that will kill them slowly. I good double lung, front shoulder, heart is you best bet. I double lunged a 8 point buck this year, he walked 10 yds and fell over, not even a twitch after he fell over. Last year I double lunged a doe, she ran about 30 yds, left a blood trail the width of a sidewalk the whole way, when she fell she had lost all of her blood, one kick and she was dead.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 12:59:59 PM EDT
[#15]
It's just too risky. Hitting a bullseye at 100 yards and hitting a deer in the head at 100 yards in the woods are entirely different scenarios. You can't account for weird shooting positions, deer movement, possibility of a stick being in the way, etc in the woods. Take a shot for the lungs or a high shoulder shot.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 10:28:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Bad idea..I have done it on a moose...but it was the last straw on the last day of season after 4 hours of waiting for this bull to stand up and give a shot, hidden in some scrub trees and alder..head only thing visible, and no way he is moving until dark...Range was 200 yards..laying prone with my 300rum...
It worked, but I still think it is a shot to avoid if there is anyway possible to do it different...Just way too much movement in the head to count on getting a perfect hit..

This guy..
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 10:36:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
IMHO head shots are risky unless you are really close. Miss and blow the lower jaw off and that animal is going to die a slow painful death. Your objective it to kill humanely and quick.
View Quote
This. I shot one last season that someone shot in the jaw. It was gone - bloody tounge hanging out.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 10:24:46 AM EDT
[#18]
I head shot my deer on monday.  It was only 39 yards from my blind to the deer.  I waited until it was calm then I blew a whistled and she froze still giving me time to take my shot. Bulket entered just below the right eye and exited below the left ear.  Immediately dropped dead.  Everything inside the skull was  destroyed. No adrenaline or hormone dump so meat had no funky smell. I used my AR loser with Speer Gold Dot 64 gr.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 10:35:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Neck shot is way better, skip the head shots
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 10:44:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 10:56:54 AM EDT
[#21]

Head shot=Hero or Zero
Neck shot=good shooter + Experience
Body shot= decent shooter, good shooter + experience
Body shot outside pie plate= mediocre shooter + comfortable footwear & Friends

My experience is that if the good angle neck shot (base of neck area to half way up) presents itself.
That is the one to take. There will be no tracking.
Or dam little.
If the angle is off or sick’s, Grass, visibility...then the Accepted body shot.

If you are starting out. stick with the body shot !

High spine works well but you can still have issues.
Head would only be for an excellent shooter, completely confident in ability @ range ?
It is really easy to have a head shot not go all that well.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 1:48:54 PM EDT
[#22]
If you can do it sure, but trying to hit a small moving target very difficult.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 2:09:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Neck shot is “lights out” because the hydrostatic shock snaps the spinal cord. Not a bad option.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 3:49:20 PM EDT
[#24]
I've found several deer over the years (public and private land) that had their jaw blown off by someone trying for a headshot.  I had a relative that thought the neck shot was great with his .30-30.  Unless he got a spinal shot, we always had to track his deer.  I'm not a fan of head or neck shots.  Just my opinion from 30 years in the deer woods.

Aim for the lower 1/3 of the chest cavity, about inline, or just behind, the front legs.

As far as a load, I've been using Barnes 150 TTSX factory loads, or 130 TTSX hand loads for a decade now and have been very happy.  You want to go at least one bullet weight lighter with the solid copper bullets.  Hornady GMX loads might be worth a look as well.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 3:56:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Depending on circumstances, I'm a big fan of a center of neck shot.  7mm mag breaks neck on impact, drops right there.  Only under 100 yards though, otherwise I'll aim for the vitals/lungs
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 1:31:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Vitals every time for me.

Plenty of room for error, double lung puts them down very quickly, and I don't have to worry about them moving that area of their body quickly like they can their head/neck.  Plus...as a bow hunter, tracking deer doesn't scare me...especially when most don't even make it 50 yards when hit with a rifle in the chest.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 11:28:54 PM EDT
[#27]
I “Kennedy”ed just a single deer in my life.  Normally I’d never go for a head shot it’s just all the spooked deer offered me - his head and ass.  I had a perfect rest, the deer was 45 yards away and I knew my bolt 30-06 was dead balls accurate.  It was far less messy that I thought and I hit him directly between the eyes.  It basically removed everything inside the cranium out of a hole in the back that was the size of a baseball. Upon the recoil of the gun all I saw was 4 hooves straight up and twitching.  Too much can go wrong, again I had all the time in the world and a greasy solid rest.  I typically aim high heart broadside shot

ETA great not greasy but that’s too funny to change
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:40:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Shot my first deer a couple of weeks ago in the upper middle section of the neck.  He was looking straight at me so I guess it was a throat shot.  He dropped right there.  I will aim for the base of the neck from now on because of this thread.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 11:31:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Only head shots I have taken on deer were with 00 Buck. We get into some lottery hunts and it drops them dead.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:26:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Hit the vitals not head shots. This isn’t a damn sniper movie.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 4:45:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Unless you like to eat the heart and ribs (many do but most don't), then you are not wasting any meat with a boiler room shot unless you miss and hit a shoulder. But if you are worried about missing and hitting a shoulder, than you should not be confident enough to take a head shot. You mentioned "keeping your shit together". Well, your 1 moa rifle does not mean a lot if you are excited and have the adrenaline pumping. Fundamentals can go out the window.

I have never taken a head or neck shot. The only circumstance I can picture doing either is if the deer was directly below me, and I did not want to destroy the backstraps. I'd still probably go neck over head.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 4:56:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Last deer I shot was with a 308AR using 168gr Sierra Match King.  Filling a doe tag, good size doe, solid vital shot, she went a few feet and was down.  No ruined meat.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 10:13:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It's just too risky. Hitting a bullseye at 100 yards and hitting a deer in the head at 100 yards in the woods are entirely different scenarios. You can't account for weird shooting positions, deer movement, possibility of a stick being in the way, etc in the woods. Take a shot for the lungs or a high shoulder shot.
View Quote
This.  I did not start hunting until my 30s.  Before I started, I thought, "how can somebody miss a deer?"

After I started, I realized it's pretty damn easy to miss one entirely.

Shoot for the lungs.

I only shoot the heads for finishing shots.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 11:07:29 PM EDT
[#34]
I've been hunting for decades.  I remember back years ago I put a couple down with head shots.  Their bodies were obstructed, but I had standing head shots. It was like flipping a switch.  DRT.

For a while, some in my group were obsessed - thinking about the meat they'd save from damage with a head shot.  But I know some in that group who tried head shots and missed - maiming the deer - having them run off without a lower jaw, nose, etc...

I stopped hunting with those shit-birds, and went back to heart and lung shots. If I don't have a clean kill shot, I just don't shoot

So I'd advise against the head shot.  But YMMV
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 11:12:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Yes.  Especially for prey animals.  They tend to make erratic head movements.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top