Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2013 8:25:08 PM EDT
Has anyone tried either of these in 30-06? Trying to change up this season with something different. Was using Remmington Cor-Lokt.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 9:00:07 PM EDT
[#1]
A friend of mine shoots Fed Fusion in a 308 with fabulous results.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 6:11:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Has anyone tried either of these in 30-06? Trying to change up this season with something different. Was using Remmington Cor-Lokt.
View Quote

Whats wrong with the Cor-Lokt? One of the best and most consistent in my experience.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 6:13:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Fusions are good to go. I use 165 grn in 308.

Nothing in the world wrong with the REM CL's either.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 6:13:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Whats wrong with the Cor-Lokt? One of the best and most consistent in my experience.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have seen extreme bullet failures in 5 different calibers with corelokts
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 8:46:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I used the Hornady Whitetail InterLocks in 150gr .308 Win to anchor this 200lb Mule Deer at 325 yards last Saturday. I liked the results and the groups I got at 200 yards.

Link Posted: 10/17/2013 2:21:52 PM EDT
[#6]
With the Federal Fusion, the jacket is plated on.  So it's like a single piece of metal.  Hornaday Interbond, Nosler Accubond, and few others are made this way.  It's far superior to just pressing the jacket and core together in a press.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 4:53:13 PM EDT
[#7]
My 308 shoots the fusion/deer thugs very well. Its a 1"-1.25'' grouping round and can be found at the local wally world. I am sure the hornady will serve your purpose just as well also.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 5:43:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I dont think the Hornady Interbond is plated.  Fusion and Gold Dot are the only plated bullets I know of

Link Posted: 10/18/2013 7:52:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I dont think the Hornady Interbond is plated.  Fusion and Gold Dot are the only plated bullets I know of
View Quote
Rainier,  X-Treme Bullets, and a list of other companies make plated bullets.  I can't recall the source, but my memory bank tells me about reading that the Interbond and Accubond bullets have the jackets plated on, whereas most others are just pressed together under high pressure and heat.  But I've been wrong before.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 8:07:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I meant rifle bullets, I am 90% sure the interbond or not plated
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 8:08:12 PM EDT
[#11]
also the rainier and berrys bullets etc are not the same quality of plating as Gold dots
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 6:57:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Fusion is my go-to deer round now.  I use 150gr in 30-06  They deliver a tremendous amount of energy to the target (deer) and I find their accuracy overall much better than Core-lokts.

I used Core-lokts for years because it was what was piled up on the shelf at the store and came with a rebate.  I started searching for something better a few years ago, found Fusion to shoot much better out of the ammo I tried and use it exclusively after I started taking deer with it.  I think there is really something to that bonded bullet, it definitely makes a distinctive sound when it hits the deer and really drops 'em.  My two cents.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 9:22:02 AM EDT
[#13]
I have seen worse groups with Remington Core-lokt than any other cartridge.  The only good thing about it is the price, but if it doesn't group for shit, then it is really not worth anything.  

For factory ammo, I see consistently good results with Fusion and Federal Power-shok.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 2:25:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My 308 shoots the fusion/deer thugs very well. Its a 1"-1.25'' grouping round and can be found at the local wally world. I am sure the hornady will serve your purpose just as well also.
View Quote

Glad to hear about the Deer Thug ammo.I want to pick up some 165gr Deer Thug ammo from local WalMart and give them a try in my Winchester model 100 .308.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 12:41:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have seen worse groups with Remington Core-lokt than any other cartridge.  The only good thing about it is the price, but if it doesn't group for shit, then it is really not worth anything.  

For factory ammo, I see consistently good results with Fusion and Federal Power-shok.
View Quote

me too. I think the powder charges are very inconsistent. .308 or .223, the groups just aren't there the past few years. they used to be my go to ammo, not anymore.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 2:02:20 AM EDT
[#16]
I shot 120 gr. fusions through my .25-06, I love them, the cor-lokts are garbage in my experience
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 3:27:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I used the Hornady Whitetail InterLocks in 150gr .308 Win to anchor this 200lb Mule Deer at 325 yards last Saturday. I liked the results and the groups I got at 200 yards.

View Quote

Did the bullet go through both shoulders of that mule? What did the exit wound look like? I'm planning a hunt in west TX soon and have been curious about that ammo.

Off topic but the one bullet my guide said not to bring was Nosler Ballistic because they fragment too rapidly. I want to make sure they aren't considered similar to the one bullet he said not to bring.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 12:17:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I'm 90% sure they are.  It's what seperates the InterBond from Interlocks.  The Interlock is a "cup and core" squeezed together.  The InterBond's jacket is bonded through an electro-chemical process, IIRC.
Quoted:
also the rainier and berrys bullets etc are not the same quality of plating as Gold dots
Gilding metal versus pure copper.  Either way, the jacket and lead core stick together better.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 9:22:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm 90% sure they are.  It's what seperates the InterBond from Interlocks.  The Interlock is a "cup and core" squeezed together.  The InterBond's jacket is bonded through an electro-chemical process, IIRC.Gilding metal versus pure copper.  Either way, the jacket and lead core stick together better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm 90% sure they are.  It's what seperates the InterBond from Interlocks.  The Interlock is a "cup and core" squeezed together.  The InterBond's jacket is bonded through an electro-chemical process, IIRC.
Quoted:
Gilding metal versus pure copper.  Either way, the jacket and lead core stick together better.

Fusions are referred to by Federal as "fused" which is the a fancy world for electroplated.  Interbonds are bonded, which essentially is done by gluing the core and jacket together.  They are still two separate pieces of metal, where as the jacket and core of a Fusion are "fused" together at the molecular level.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:15:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Glad to hear about the Deer Thug ammo.I want to pick up some 165gr Deer Thug ammo from local WalMart and give them a try in my Winchester model 100 .308.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Update on the Fusion/Deer Thug. I originally only purcahsed two boxes of the Deer Thug to make sure it would work in my gun. I have tried every walmart within 30 minutes and can not find any more. The man at walmart said that was a special run and do not expect any more fusion or deer thugs???  Academy and Gander Mountain carry it but thats almost an hour drive and right now, time has not allowed me to make the trip as i have been working from 5am to 8pm every day since my original posting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top