Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2011 6:31:03 PM EDT
I thought I had done good by picking up a new 500 acre lease over the summer. Great area, good hardwoods, and 3 different age classes of pine trees so I wouldn't ever have to worry about the timber co. I leased it from clear cutting the whole thing at once.
 Boy was I wrong.
 The other day my buddy that hunts it with me went to the lease to hang a couple of stands. As he is driving in he calls me to ask me where my pole saw is so he can trim some limbs, I told him its where it always is; leaning against the tree next to my bush hog in the clearing where we keep all the stuff we don't want to carry back and forth every time we go up there. He called me about 5 minutes later and says its not there and not only is it not there, neither is my bush hog or my 16X8 trailer that I use to haul my tractor between leases. FUUUUUU... The next thing that pops into my mind is my tractor. It's parked right next to the bush hog and still has the plow hooked to it. Luckily he says its still there.
 Turns out some jack asses (more than 1 because they picked the bushhog up and put it on the trailer) came in on the lease to the south of us and on a stip where their road parralels one of my roads they cut across onto my lease drove into the center of the property, loaded up and left the way they came in.
 I called the county sheriff and got a report made and all that good stuff but I know there is no way I ever get my stuff back. It makes me sick what this world has come to knowing that your stuff isn't even safe 3/4 of a mile back in the woods, behind a locked gate, 2 miles down a dirt road 20 miles from the nearest town.
 And if all this wasn't enough the deputy that did the report noticed the .38 revolver in a holster attached to my buddy's atv and asked if he had a CWP. He says he did but he forgot to renew it a while back but had been planning on repermitting because its not safe to go any where any more. The deputy then proceeds to tell him that its illegal to carry without a permit in Alabama and he could arrest him and take him to jail but he would let it go this time but he needed to renew his permit.WTF
Sometimes I wonder why I go through all this crap just to hunt a damn deer!!!
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 6:53:42 PM EDT
[#1]
People will steal anything, especially in secluded areas.  Someone stole a gearbox off our hay rake a few years ago.  Hell, someone stole a pair of tennis shoes off my porch a few months ago.

Hope you can find it, but as you say, there isn't much of a chance for that.
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 7:25:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
People will steal anything, especially in secluded areas.  Someone stole a gearbox off our hay rake a few years ago.  Hell, someone stole a pair of tennis shoes off my porch a few months ago.

Hope you can find it, but as you say, there isn't much of a chance for that.

EXACTLY. People are more than likely to steal something from a secluded area than in a crowded neighborhood. The chances of getting caught in the woods is WAY LESS. That being said, no matter where you have your stuff, you have to secure it to the very best of your ability and I would even set up cameras(especially in the woods).

Sorry to hear about your loss man, hopefully it'll turn up. I also agree with your statement that it's sad as crap what this world is coming to. Whatever happened to honesty?
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 1:23:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Man what a bummer!  I hope they get what's coming to them!  
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 5:19:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I've about given up hunting because of all the gear and stands i've had stolen the last few years.  Its not worth having the hard work go to waste.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top