Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2022 7:38:24 PM EDT
In order to do that, I would have to sell my “POTA” rig which is an Icom 7200.  I realize working with 5-10 watts presents challenges but I’m looking for a highly portable rig that I could carry in a checked bag when I go on trips.  Here is a pic of my good old Icom 7200.  Would I regret getting rid of it?  

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/26/2022 7:47:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Doing QRP is one thing. Having to do QRP is another. But I do get the desire for portable ops. I'd try to find a way to keep the 7200 and get the 705. But that's me.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 7:52:19 PM EDT
[#2]
If you're unsure how much enjoyment you'll get being limited in power, do a few portable trips with the 7200 and just turn the power down.  If it ends up still working for you, then the 705 will perform similar buy with less bulk and more modern features.

I only run a QRP radio when I do POTA and similar portable stuff, and I'm never really disappointed with the results.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 7:59:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you're unsure how much enjoyment you'll get being limited in power, do a few portable trips with the 7200 and just turn the power down.  If it ends up still working for you, then the 705 will perform similar buy with less bulk and more modern features.

I only run a QRP radio when I do POTA and similar portable stuff, and I'm never really disappointed with the results.
View Quote

Makes a lot of sense to try running lower power with the 7200.  I do have a 7300 in my shack that could be used for portable operations if I needed the power and didn’t have the 7200 as a choice.  I like the 7200 for its simplicity and ruggedness.  I’m interested in the 705 because it’s just cool as hell, compact, and highly portable.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 8:18:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not the one to argue.
The 705 is a fun rig. I sold my Yaesu FT-817 (no letters) to fund the purchase. No ragrets.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 8:42:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Ft-818 with iphone for size comparison

amp with 45-50thrusts per squeeze

Link Posted: 1/26/2022 8:50:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the idea of an amplifier, back when I had more to spend, I added a THP HL100 dx to the station so to run 100 watts with the KX3 if I wanted. The combo has worked out well and serves as a backup for the IC7300. It's probably a better rig performance wise in some ways but awfully fiddly with all the extra cables and the PX3.
Rob
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 9:16:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Makes a lot of sense to try running lower power with the 7200.  I do have a 7300 in my shack that could be used for portable operations if I needed the power and didn't have the 7200 as a choice.  I like the 7200 for its simplicity and ruggedness.  I'm interested in the 705 because it's just cool as hell, compact, and highly portable.
View Quote
Oh, well in that case if it'll fund it then sell it. I didn't think or realize that it was a second radio.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 8:21:08 AM EDT
[#8]

A Xiegu G90 runs a little over $400.  The G90 is heavier but about the same size.   It's cheap enough that you could buy it without selling the 7200

8nBAIT
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 9:36:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Keep both?
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 9:59:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

A Xiegu G90 runs a little over $400.  The G90 is heavier but about the same size.   It's cheap enough that you could buy it without selling the 7200

8nBAIT
View Quote

xeigu makes a couple other QRP radios I have half an eye on.  The prices are right but the support I am not so sure about.  The new 6100 iirc the number right has some nice features albeit, they’re still working the software code over and pushing updates.  The 5105 iirc the model number is a settled code unit but it doesn’t have the color waterfall of the 6100.  

Both of those units are lighter to pack than the G90.  G90 is probably better for POTA but the others for SOTA imho.

The Lab599 TX500 is also pretty cool.   From Russia with love.   $900-1000 but Needs an amp and battery.  

The 705 looks very nice and packable.  Runs off a handheld type battery pack or a seperate battery.   It is probably the nicest of the bunch but I admit I am a bit price shy.   At least you know you have product support from Icom.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 10:21:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Go check out Julian's OH8STN site. He a lot of very good information.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 10:31:54 AM EDT
[#12]
I have zero problems with QRP when doing POTA activations. As soon as you're spotted people start lining up and there is no lack of contacts due to my signal levels. Sure, they'll mostly be 5x5 or 5x7 signal reports (no 5x9+20's) but it still gets the job done 100% of the time.

I own both the IC-705 and the TX-500 and I prefer the TX-500 for POTA hands down. When I'm camped out on a single frequency calling CQ there's really no need to have the fancy waterfall display and the high current draw of the 705. I primarily use the IC-705 for my home station, and it comes along with me on vacations and work trips when A/C power is nearby and weight and size is less of a factor.

I think the perfect radio combo would be the IC-7300 for the home station - great waterfall display, very functional tuner (especially in "emergency mode"), 100 watts output, all the bells and whistles etc. and then the TX-500 for your portable field radio - rugged, compact, low current draw, very functional spectrum analyzer, etc.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 1:02:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm actually in the same shoes as you! I have an 891 that does double duty as shack and portable radio, but I broke my teeth on an 817 and I dearly miss it.

I think in the near future I'll be selling my 891 and picking up a 705, then down the road getting a 7300 for the shack.

I spend less time in the shack than I do portable and I'm frustrated by the power requirements of my 891 and the effort of putting it back in the shack after I'm done with it.

Currently I'm borrowing a 705 and enjoying it. The only thing I don't like is Heil doesn't have an adapter yet for plugging in a pro7 and foot switch to it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 2:55:48 PM EDT
[#14]
For me I want to buy a Yaesu FT-991A for the shack and a TX-500 for portable, however I have a feeling that Yaseu may release something this year, so I am waiting. If they do release something, it will probably be impossible to get, just like the TX-500's are not available.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 1:49:08 AM EDT
[#15]
The IC 705 travels very easily in a soft bag carryon. I pack it  in a bag along with the laptop,  Elecraft T1 tuner, mic, mini code key, two batteries, rapid charger and VHF/UHF whip. The SOTA collapsible mast, band hopper, packtenna random wire and elecraft 20 W dummy load go in checked baggage.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 10:28:30 AM EDT
[#16]
I have an IC 7300, if you want an IC 705 go for it; however, the Elecraft KX3 with at least the filter unit will be a much better receiver. The money ought to be pretty close by the time you add in needed accessories.
Rob
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 10:52:14 AM EDT
[#17]
I have the IC-705 and an XPA125B amp if needed.

Quite the flexible combo.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 4:27:01 PM EDT
[#18]
I pulled the trigger and ordered the IC-705 today.  I need to sell the 7200 if anyone is looking.  I’d like to keep it but I need to stay married.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 4:31:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I pulled the trigger and ordered the IC-705 today.  I need to sell the 7200 if anyone is looking.  I'd like to keep it but I need to stay married.
View Quote
You could always get divorced, but then she'd take half your radios and you'd lose the 7200 anyway!

Link Posted: 1/30/2022 5:02:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You could always get divorced, but then she'd take half your radios and you'd lose the 7200 anyway!

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 1:23:42 AM EDT
[#21]
QRP seems like operators don't want to talk to most people on the band, and prefer to limit their activities. Yeah, I get it that it's more challenging to find contacts.
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 5:28:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Well, if anyone is interested, my 7200 is up for sale…

Icom 7200
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 2:38:01 AM EDT
[#23]
I had an IC-7300 (my first radio) for a few years and purchased an IC-705 last year. I sold my 7300 about a year later. I felt they were too similar but different in a lot of ways to justify keeping both of them. The IC-705 can just do so much more (gps, bt, d-star, 2m & 70cm) if you can learn to be more efficient with your antenna, setup, mode of contact, etc...

I like not having all the clutter and I like the challenge. I like that it is small, I have taught myself Morse Code. Of course, you can run digital, winlink, etc... You can purchase a Disco PTT to use with Peltors and the radio has a lockout screen so you can leave it in your bag and not worry about hitting buttons. It's the only radio that can be charged via USB and a 5v Anker or similar battery pack (5W). I use it as my main shack radio as well.

Now in all transparency, I don't really care for SSB, I prefer digital, and as soon as I am a bit quicker at head copy, I'll be doing a lot of morse code. I also use an Elecraft T1, Bioenno 12v6ah battery (gives 10W). For a paddle, I use an N0SA paddle and I have a Begali Sculpture Mono for the shack. I use the Bluetooth almost nightly to practice my Morse code without waking anyone up with dits and dahs.

Now for a strickly field radio, the KX2 might be the answer just for the weight savings and internal tuner. I am thinking of purchasing one of those as well just for fun. The screen on the 705 is great, being able to see the signals and jump over with a touch of the finger is pretty cool. Software updates are fairly straightforward and easy. I think selling the 7200 to help fund your new 705 is a good idea because it will force you to learn your new 705. It is such a great purchase. Congrats.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 10:39:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I had an IC-7300 (my first radio) for a few years and purchased an IC-705 last year. I sold my 7300 about a year later. I felt they were too similar but different in a lot of ways to justify keeping both of them. The IC-705 can just do so much more (gps, bt, d-star, 2m & 70cm) if you can learn to be more efficient with your antenna, setup, mode of contact, etc... I like not having all the clutter and I like the challenge. I like that it is small, I have taught myself Morse Code. Of course, you can run digital, winlink, etc... You can purchase a Disco PTT to use with Peltors and the radio has a lockout screen so you can leave it in your bag and not worry about hitting buttons. It's the only radio that can be charged via USB and a 5v Anker or similar battery pack (5W). I use it as my main shack radio as well.

Now in all transparency, I don't really care for SSB, I prefer digital, and as soon as I am a bit quicker at head copy, I'll be doing a lot of morse code. I also use an Elecraft T1, Bioenno 12v6ah battery (gives 10W). For a paddle, I use an N0SA paddle and I have a Begali Sculpture Mono for the shack. I use the Bluetooth almost nightly to practice my Morse code without waking anyone up with dits and dahs. Now for a strickly field radio, the KX2 might be the answer just for the weight savings and internal tuner. I am thinking of purchasing one of those as well just for fun. The screen on the 705 is great, being able to see the signals and jump over with a touch of the finger is pretty cool. Software updates are fairly straightforward and easy. I think selling the 7200 to help fund your new 705 is a good idea because it will force you to learn your new 705. It is such a great purchase. Congrats.
View Quote

Great information!  I am getting used to my 705 now.  I had though about picking up an Alexloop for setting up a station in a hotel room when I travel.  I do have a little Par End Fedz 10/20/40 trail antenna.  I worked a station in southern CA from Northern UT and the guy gave me a solid 59 with 10 watts and the wire thrown up in a tree.  The recent solar flare has really made the bands shitty.  I am looking forward to better conditions.  I may save the 7200 as a 100 watt field radio.  It fits the Harris Falcon II manpack so well. I do have a Chameleon MPAS 2.0 that works well with that radio.  I am thinking that I may regret getting rid of the 7200.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 2:20:36 AM EDT
[#25]
I had the mpas 2.0 it's a pretty decent antenna. I did end up selling it, Thomas Witherspoon (k4swl) on YouTube uses a variety of antennas. One of which is a speaker wire cut to 28.5' with a banana plug. You need a tuner, but it's small, cheap and works well. I also have the Par 10/20/40
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top