Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/15/2022 6:58:28 PM EDT
Just got a couple locked Baofeng UV-5R radios.  Was planning on using them for hunt comms and possible vehicle to vehicle when taking multiple vehicles on trips.

Seems new are locked to Ham frequencies.

What is my path to legal transmission use?

If I'm in the wrong forum, let me know.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 7:09:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 8:07:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

And that's all there is to it, these ARE and always have been ham radios that you need a license to transmit with.  There is no lock or unlock. Both ends of the conversation need to licensed.

If understand correctly for a while there were some of these that would illegally work on the GMRS band, but that requires a license too and they were NOT legal on GMRS because they transmitted at a higher power level than allowed on GMRS.
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 9:10:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I've never seen NEW Baofengs programmed with ham frequencies. They just come with off-the wall frequencies, may be legal in China. Those frequencies should not be used because they may interfere with local 911 or LEO frequencies.
So called locks in Baofengs are nothing but a feature to prevent accidental changes by accidentally pushing wrong buttons.
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 10:19:53 PM EDT
[#4]
A baofeng is a ham radio.
They're legal on ham frequencies.

Get your technician license.

Link Posted: 1/16/2022 12:11:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Just to clarify:  Everyone using one of those radios has to hold a Technician class Amateur Radio license as a minimum.  Even if you own both of them and hand one to a friend to use in another car, the friend has to hold a ham license as well before he is allowed to transmit.  He can LISTEN all he wants without a license but he is not allowed to transmit.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 12:17:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

And that's all there is to it, these ARE and always have been ham radios that you need a license to transmit with.  There is no lock or unlock. Both ends of the conversation need to licensed.

If understand correctly for a while there were some of these that would illegally work on the GMRS band, but that requires a license too and they were NOT legal on GMRS because they transmitted at a higher power level than allowed on GMRS.
View Quote

these never were and only now are sorta ham radios. these are dual band china radios. china doesnt have the overbearing FCC telling them what freq to use. they just happen to cover the popular ham freq and sold well here for that and other uses. legally or otherwise. I made the mistake of buying a new UV5R for commercial off road channels and found out I just threw $30 away on a locked ham only radio.

From what google has told me there is no easy way to unlock them.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 11:06:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

these never were and only now are sorta ham radios. these are dual band china radios. china doesnt have the overbearing FCC telling them what freq to use. they just happen to cover the popular ham freq and sold well here for that and other uses. legally or otherwise. I made the mistake of buying a new UV5R for commercial off road channels and found out I just threw $30 away on a locked ham only radio.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Google is full of shit.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 4:23:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Incorrect, these were originally imported and sold specifically as ham radios, no "sort of".     The FCC isn't in China, but they are at the ports of entry.  When it became known that they could be programmed for GMRS and some for LMR, the FCC banned import of those that could be reprogrammed or as some called it "unlocked".  There actually was no locking, they simply could be programmed outside of ham bands by anyone who knew or accidentally found the relevant frequencies; no magic code, no special sequence, no physical altering.

Sorry you bought something you did not understand.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 10:03:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Which model is this?  Does it do 220-225?
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 10:55:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not really.

All the chinesium radios are asian market LMR radios, they are not designed for the amateur service.

Some were US type accepted under Part 90 for LMR use, but many were just sold not type accepted as grey market. Either one is legal for amateur use, but not legal to be advertised or sold for amateur use (if that makes sense).

Due to the number of people causing problems with them bootleging on public safety frequencies, many of them now are coming in to the country locked to only the amateur bands.

People consistently go at this backwards, asking what license they need for a particular piece of hardware. They need to decide what frequencies and licenses meet their needs, then get radios that are suitable for that use.

Getting an amateur license because you own a Baofeng is ridiculous. Get an amateur license if you want to participate in the amateur radio service. If you just want to talk to your hunting buddy on a handheld radio you need MURS, GMRS or FRS, that's what those services are for.

Link Posted: 1/16/2022 11:31:51 PM EDT
[#11]
If you decide to get your amateur radio license, you will realize that the cheap Chinese radios are not the best option.  Compare between the two pictured and you will clearly see the difference.  Cheap is not always good.  Once you become licensed, you will figure out what works and what doesn’t.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 11:48:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you decide to get your amateur radio license, you will realize that the cheap Chinese radios are not the best option.  Compare between the two pictured and you will clearly see the difference.  Cheap is not always good.  Once you become licensed, you will figure out what works and what doesn’t.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/111848/05A4F5DE-2CE9-4134-AC81-3D9B0D48C753_jpe-2243194.JPG
View Quote

Some will say that cheap HTs are actually a great option, since HTs are the least useful radio for most applications, so save your money for more useful radios.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 12:18:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Not really.

All the chinesium radios are asian market LMR radios, they are not designed for the amateur service.

Some were US type accepted under Part 90 for LMR use, but many were just sold not type accepted as grey market. Either one is legal for amateur use, but not legal to be advertised or sold for amateur use (if that makes sense).

Due to the number of people causing problems with them bootleging on public safety frequencies, many of them now are coming in to the country locked to only the amateur bands.

People consistently go at this backwards, asking what license they need for a particular piece of hardware. They need to decide what frequencies and licenses meet their needs, then get radios that are suitable for that use.

Getting an amateur license because you own a Baofeng is ridiculous. Get an amateur license if you want to participate in the amateur radio service. If you just want to talk to your hunting buddy on a handheld radio you need MURS, GMRS or FRS, that's what those services are for.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really.

I agree with your last statement. Aren't Baofeng radios able to send and receive on MURS, GMRS, CB, FRS etc? wouldn't that make them a general radio of sorts instead of a hardline HAM radio as some have stated they are?
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 12:32:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I agree with your last statement. Aren't Baofeng radios able to send and receive on MURS, GMRS, CB, FRS etc? wouldn't that make them a general radio of sorts instead of a hardline HAM radio as some have stated they are?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really.

They are a fully programmable radio like any other radio intended for the LMR radio market.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 12:34:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Some will say that cheap HTs are actually a great option, since HTs are the least useful radio for most applications, so save your money for more useful radios.
View Quote

exactly this.

an HT is cute, neat, fun to show to your friends, . . . . and almost useless

Kinda like this...

Link Posted: 1/17/2022 12:39:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 1:25:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

exactly this.

Kinda like this...

https://i.imgur.com/d5PGQ0Y.jpg
View Quote

That's a really wierd perspective.  I get alot of good use out of hts.

I guess it all depends on what you're up too.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 1:53:15 AM EDT
[#18]
The HT becomes useful, but ceases to be cute, once you stop using its stock antenna alone. Unless you are Fe Male, your body is a terrible counterpoise for it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 2:08:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The HT becomes useful, but ceases to be cute, once you stop using its stock antenna alone.
View Quote

Many get an HT, then add a magnet mount antenna, speaker-microphone, 12v power cable, now you have a mobile radio without the power or heat dissipation of a mobile radio.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 4:47:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Even if you just run a rat/tiger tail counterpoise, the HT is no longer cute.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 9:28:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes, it is the UV-9S and it is a tri-band.

https://www.baofengradio.com/products/uv-9s

No longer in production, here is the replacement:

https://www.baofengradio.com/products/uv-5rx3
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 10:32:07 AM EDT
[#22]

The remote testing procedures are hilarious.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 12:16:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Fellas....

Recently BAOFENG branded stuff has been arriving firmware locked to amateur frequencies only.  

And all my experimentation with CHIRP and other software they're unable to be unlocked.

If you've found a guide show how to unlock a RECENT AUTHENTIC baofeng radio, i'd love to see it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 12:20:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
exactly this.

Kinda like this...

https://i.imgur.com/d5PGQ0Y.jpg

Maybe if I lived closer to the city.

I spend most of my time on HF.

90% of the V/U traffic I hear around here are old guys blathering on about health problems

If I talk V/U, I'm usually on a 50watt mobile with a decent antenna

Link Posted: 1/17/2022 12:35:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Fellas....

Recently BAOFENG branded stuff has been arriving firmware locked to amateur frequencies only.  

And all my experimentation with CHIRP and other software they're unable to be unlocked.

If you've found a guide show how to unlock a RECENT AUTHENTIC baofeng radio, i'd love to see it.
View Quote

I may have taken a little liberty with what I said above.

Some models were flashable, U5vr being one of them. All of the curernt models with exception of the DMR models are no longer flashable.

The best way to get around this, is to order from Banggood or Aliexpress and NOT a US based seller. All of the current models wholesaled into the US for sale in the US are locked up tight with 1-time flashed hardware and are not able to manipulate without hardware manipulation. Which unrealistic to do with a $30 radio.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 12:46:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Some models were flashable, U5vr being one of them. All of the curernt models with exception of the DMR models are no longer flashable.

The best way to get around this, is to order from Banggood or Aliexpress and NOT a US based seller. All of the current models wholesaled into the US for sale in the US are locked up tight with 1-time flashed hardware and are not able to manipulate without hardware manipulation. Which unrealistic to do with a $30 radio.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fellas....

What about the current uv9r or uv-s9 from banggood? Are they locked too?
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 12:51:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fellas....

As long as you order from a seller on there that is based in China, they should be unlocked. Order from a US based shipper/wholesaler/seller they will all be locked.

Here is an unlocked wideband Baofeng: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002738013862.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.5505c2c48BB34i&algo_pvid=17330556-2198-40b8-9d6d-f308594a18f5&algo_exp_id=17330556-2198-40b8-9d6d-f308594a18f5-0&pdp_ext_f=%7B%22sku_id%22%3A%2212000021924796133%22%7D&pdp_pi=-1%3B26.39%3B-1%3B-1%40salePrice%3BUSD%3Bsearch-mainSearch

Frequency Range: VHF: 136-174MHz (RX/TX), UHF: 400-520MHz (RX/TX), 65-108MHz (RX Only)
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 2:15:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Seems like a lot of work to end up with a Chinese POS.  If you have to buy a new radio, why not get an Icom or Yaesu, or one of the other non-communist brands?
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 2:18:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Seems like a lot of work to end up with a Chinese POS.  If you have to buy a new radio, why not get an Icom or Yaesu, or one of the other non-communist brands?
View Quote

Lets just say that in an end of the world situation for example. Being able to and knowing how to transmit all over the bands, and knowing how to send and receive using a retired Navy satellite repeater may not be the worst idea. HF capabilities using a VHF/UHF tri-band HT....

I am in no means condoning, recommending, or suggesting anyone do that though. Because that is illegal.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 2:20:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
If your main goal is to have an HT that transmits outside the amateur bands and has amateur-focused features like VFO and front panel programming, then buying from the big name brands is a bit counter productive unless you're willing to bust it open and knock a SMD or two off the PCB.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 2:51:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Fellas....

View Quote

This. Some (Hams oddly enough) don't seem to understand the difference from flashing firmware and updating channel tables. My UV-5rs (firmware HN5VR01) came with the ability to do GMRS and FRS. I just had to program the channels. My understanding is newer radios are firmware restricted from those frequencies. And you can't flash the radio to an older firmware version. I'd love to open my radio to do a little more.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 11:43:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Lets just say that in an end of the world situation for example. Being able to and knowing how to transmit all over the bands, and knowing how to send and receive using a retired Navy satellite repeater may not be the worst idea. HF capabilities using a VHF/UHF tri-band HT....

I am in no means condoning, recommending, or suggesting anyone do that though. Because that is illegal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some folks prepare for TEOTW with their cell phone and a credit card.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 12:03:51 AM EDT
[#33]
To answer the OP, FRS, or GMRS with a license. Then get good GMRS capable radios. Good enough for relatively short range comms.

If you want more, things get more complex. GMRS license is a fee only.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 12:53:49 AM EDT
[#34]
I own serveral radios including 4-5 baofengs and 2 yeasus. I got this recent locked UV-5R to use with a Kydex case for my chest rig made for that specific model of radio. They only offer the case in 3 flavors of Baofeng and the one I already had doesn't work with my Disco32 PTT for my comtacs. Now I have a $30 radio and a $40 case that are useless because I didn't know I had to research randomly if the radio was locked all of a sudden. since the last 4 I bought over the years where obviously not.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 12:24:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Are you or have ever been Brazilian?

FWIW, my portables see a ton of use, but all my first-line units are Motorola or EFJ P25 with AES. I suppose a portable is useless if you're trying to talk to Japan with no third-party infrastructure.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:11:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Slappo

The ham band only radios seem to have shown up recently. The FCC ruling was last summer and presumably got enforced December is. You would have thought that the mods would have pinned a notice at the top of this forum. If not the mods, then at least the MotoSkull chestbeaters. I think they would like to see the used public safety radio market rebound.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 2:51:52 PM EDT
[#37]
The $20 BF radios used to be a good gateway drug into ham.  It worked for me, $20 was throw away toy money on something I had almost no understanding of, (you know for shtf coms!).   If the the newer model are locked into HAM frequencies, they are going to cause more friction with newbs and the ham community.  I think most newbs with BF radio's knew you could likely use them on FRS with nobody caring or knowing any better.  With that locked out, the only way to press the transmit button will be in the ham space.

The trespass analogy I have seen here is the best way to explain the reasons why hams are protective of their space, when unlicensed individuals show up without any knowledge of the rules-of-the-road and start stomping all over established repeater networks.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 1:09:27 PM EDT
[#38]
DLV is dead right!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'm EC, held a license since military time in '64, have an 857 in my  hunting vehicle.   Very, very frequently I notice non amateurs illicit use of 2 meters................how do I know so...just call 'em and see what happens.    Same damn issue happened with the marine radios and it ain't gonna stop!    
Frankly, I'd expect the FCC to just throw in the towl relative to licensing, just as they did on the CB bands.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 12:09:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Curiously, I almost never hear illicit use of VHF or UHF HAM freqs. And my truck radio stays on scan almost constantly.

The one notable exception is a local houston repeater sometimes linked to a repeater in California, which has a troll constantly keying up and being annoying.

The idea that CB is “a total shitshow” is rose colored glasses horseshit.  Especially considering amateur HF have their known trolls on “their” freqs being complete asshats.

You know what you hear when you listen to any CB channel other than 19?  

…nothing.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 12:05:23 PM EDT
[#40]
HA!  I bet you're referring to the WIN System troll, made famous by such samples as "FUUUUUCK YEEEWWWW!!!", and, [Chris Tucker] "where all duh white wimmin at?" [Chris Tucker].  Shit cracks me up.

Other than that, I never hear "illicit" traffic on ham bands.  As far as I know.....I mean, I'm not one of those who runs to QRZ every time I hear a new callsign.

Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:02:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Okay, so the cheap $35.00 VHF/UHF keyboard programmable Baofeng handheld is no longer on the table. What is the next best radio with full frequency capabilities?
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:35:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Okay, so the cheap $35.00 VHF/UHF keyboard programmable Baofeng handheld is no longer on the table. What is the next best radio with full frequency capabilities?
View Quote

There is no legal full frequency transceiver. You need a LMR license for business band, GMRS license for GMRS and ham license for ham bands.  CB, FRS and MURS don't require a license.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Outdoors/What-we-can-will-and-won-t-do-here-/22-678454/

Its really not that hard to get a Tech license and legally use VHF/UHF radios. $70 and a good web browser gets you a GMRS license.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 11:59:03 PM EDT
[#43]
most all the name brand ham radios can be easily modded or unlocked. it sucks that the cheapies are for now, non unlockable. My FT-65 was just a code you enter.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 12:47:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
most all the name brand ham radios can be easily modded or unlocked. it sucks that the cheapies are for now, non unlockable. My FT-65 was just a code you enter.
View Quote

most part 97 radios are poor performers outside the amateur bands. lmr type radios generally have full performance over their full frequency range.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 7:42:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Its really not that hard to get a Tech license and legally use VHF/UHF radios. $70 and a good web browser gets you a GMRS license.
View Quote
GMRS fee was cut in half to $35 last year.   $35 for the GMRS license for your 'extended' family, and $45 for a GMRS radio.  And no more looking over your shoulder when you press the transmit button.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/25/2022 11:14:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
GMRS fee was cut in half to $35 last year.   $35 for the GMRS license for your 'extended' family, and $45 for a GMRS radio.  And no more looking over your shoulder when you press the transmit button.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/322769/gmrs-small_jpg-2253721.JPG
View Quote

No, the dumbass beurocrats STILL haven't changed it on the FCC site, still 70 bucks as of a couple days ago.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 11:15:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Okay, so the cheap $35.00 VHF/UHF keyboard programmable Baofeng handheld is no longer on the table. What is the next best radiuo with full frequency capabilities?
View Quote

TYT MD-UV380.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 8:20:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

most part 97 radios are poor performers outside the amateur bands. lmr type radios generally have full performance over their full frequency range.
View Quote

This bears repeating. If you need wideband TX (and good selectivity), go LMR.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 8:48:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Sure. Guess I'll need a loan to go that way since the cheapest APX7000 on ebay is $1800 plus software, programing cables and batteries.

We are talking about dual band LMR radios to replace a dual CCR ($35).
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 10:19:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Anytone 878 is LMR certed.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top