BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 7:39:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Fellas....

Recently BAOFENG branded stuff has been arriving firmware locked to amateur frequencies only.  

And all my experimentation with CHIRP and other software they're unable to be unlocked.

If you've found a guide show how to unlock a RECENT AUTHENTIC baofeng radio, i'd love to see it.
View Quote

@TinLeg

Hat tip to Doppleganger871. Legal disclaimer in the video. Commenters say it works.

How To Unlock A New Baofeng UV-5R - Easy UV5R Jailbreak To Transmit On More Frequencies
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 8:11:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice!

Thanks for sharing. My hunting group thanks you.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 2:20:38 AM EDT
[#3]
flippen sweet.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 6:50:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

@TinLeg

Hat tip to Doppleganger871. Legal disclaimer in the video. Commenters say it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sg3RJf1ZEA
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fellas....

Recently BAOFENG branded stuff has been arriving firmware locked to amateur frequencies only.  

And all my experimentation with CHIRP and other software they're unable to be unlocked.

If you've found a guide show how to unlock a RECENT AUTHENTIC baofeng radio, i'd love to see it.

@TinLeg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sg3RJf1ZEA

Starving the Monkeys
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 4:05:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sure. Guess I'll need a loan to go that way since the cheapest APX7000 on ebay is $1800 plus software, programing cables and batteries.

We are talking about dual band LMR radios to replace a dual CCR ($35).
View Quote

Dual band is unnecessary. Buy a couple XTS2500s and call it a day.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 6:03:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Dual band is unnecessary. Buy a couple XTS2500s and call it a day.
View Quote

Or Icom F2000s for ~$200 each. Or Kenwoods... either of which you can actually get software for.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 6:49:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Or Icom F2000s for ~$200 each. Or Kenwoods... either of which you can actually get software for.
View Quote

Astro25 CPS is easy to find (though nightmarish to use). No experience with ICOM; Kenwood is good gear. The TK-x180 series is an easy choice for someone looking for solid but basic LMR hardware.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 8:15:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

People are really jumping on the good Kenwoods these days.  Hard to snag a TH-F6A for less than $300
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 8:23:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
People are really jumping on the good Kenwoods these days.  Hard to snag a TH-F6A for less than $300
View Quote

F6A is a Part 97/amateur product, not an LMR radio.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 3:05:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Cop radios (single band) don't work for me. I use my vehicle radio as a extender to help with comms in rugged terrain. Strut arounders don't understand radio use in the backcountry where cellphone signals are fleeting. It's hard to break into a conversation on a repeater using simplex crossband operation.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 3:14:22 AM EDT
[#11]
You need a real mobile extender instead of trying to use crossband repeat. And probably to use ctcss tones on your receive, if your repeater is set up right.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 4:04:44 PM EDT
[#12]
The Kenwood Tm-V710 has worked just fine for the last 8 years in locked band repeat mode. I use a Baofeng transmitting on UHF and receiving VHF. Agreed that this is using amateur radio and that anything else would involve a lot of money. Now to stop thread jacking: putting XTS25000 radios bought off the web is easy for Motoheads. But for the OP who probably has little experience with codeplugs, firmware revisions, and software versions, it's not that simple. You have to buy the correct radios, the programming cable, batteries, antennas, chargers, and ACQUIRE the software (piracy?).
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 8:14:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Had a friend the had a FCC itinerant business license.
Some used Baofeng radios on those frequencies for emergency communications for people that didn't have a ham license.
I think Baofeng radios were part 90 certified and could also be used on the ham frequencies with a ham license.

I used one on the ham frequencies with my ham license.

In short order, I upgraded to Icom and Kenwood radios and only carried a Baofeng as a backup.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 5:07:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Had a friend the had a FCC itinerant business license.
Some used Baofeng radios on those frequencies for emergency communications for people that didn't have a ham license.
I think Baofeng radios were part 90 certified and could also be used on the ham frequencies with a ham license.

I used one on the ham frequencies with my ham license.

In short order, I upgraded to Icom and Kenwood radios and only carried a Baofeng as a backup.
View Quote

As a general rule, no. There's a handful that are (UV-82C, many/most of the DMR radios), but the cheap ones aren't.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 5:30:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
As a general rule, no. There's a handful that are (UV-82C, many/most of the DMR radios), but the cheap ones aren't.
View Quote

Some of the UV-5Rs that came in had Part 90 type approval.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 5:36:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That's a really wierd perspective.  I get alot of good use out of hts.

I guess it all depends on what you're up too.
View Quote

I agree. I can hit a repeater that's 14 miles away with my HT. That gives me a pretty damn big range with it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 9:17:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Into the second page and its obvious the OP has checked out.

Pretty sure  after being inundated with "get your license", he's just going to turn it on, select whatever freq, then pass one off to his hunting buddy and calling it a day.

just sayin'
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 10:13:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Got my GMRS license and programmed GMRS and MURS.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 12:26:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Who uses Part 90 radios for GMRS...

I have seen a lot of XTS5000's out there.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 9:57:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If you decide to get your amateur radio license, you will realize that the cheap Chinese radios are not the best option.  Compare between the two pictured and you will clearly see the difference.  Cheap is not always good.  Once you become licensed, you will figure out what works and what doesn’t.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/111848/05A4F5DE-2CE9-4134-AC81-3D9B0D48C753_jpe-2243194.JPG
View Quote

Maybe not the best option for you! Comparing a $400-$700 Yaesu to a $40 Baofeng really isn't fair. I bet if you were to swap antenna between the two, you'd notice less of a difference.
Baofeng make awesome radios at a near free price. Their antenna suck. Replace the stock antenna with a $17 Nagoya and you've got yourself a very capable radio. Honestly, the next step up
is several hundred dollars more...and it's not 10X better!

I just ordered a spare (original) factory battery for my radio. It was $6.99!
Don't listen to the haters. Start with one of the nicer Baofeng radios. Upgrade the antenna. Buy a good CHIRP cable. Listen while working on your license.

If you're willing to spend just a few more $$$, get one of the better baofengs. The BaoFeng UV-82HP, and BAOFENG BF-F8HP. They run about $60.
Check Baofeng's website, because sometimes way cheaper than Amazon, etc.

After you've had your beloved Baofeng for a year or so, then you can see if it's worth upgrading to a better radio. At this point, you'll know what you want.
Unless you have tons of disposable income, buying a $500+ radio at the start is a mistake.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 10:02:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Maybe not the best option for you! Comparing a $400-$700 Yaesu to a $40 Baofeng really isn't fair. I bet if you were to swap antenna between the two, you'd notice less of a difference.
Baofeng make awesome radios at a near free price. Their antenna suck. Replace the stock antenna with a $17 Nagoya and you've got yourself a very capable radio. Honestly, the next step up

Don't listen to the haters. Start with one of the nicer Baofeng radios. Upgrade the antenna. Buy a good CHIRP cable. Listen while working on your license.

If you're willing to spend just a few more $$$, get one of the better baofengs. The BaoFeng UV-82HP, and BAOFENG BF-F8HP. They run about $60.

After you've had your beloved Baofeng for a year or so, then you can see if it's worth upgrading to a better radio. At this point, you'll know what you want.
Unless you have tons of disposable income, buying a $500+ radio at the start is a mistake.
View Quote

Expensive handheld radios are a money sink for amateur radio anyway for almost all amateurs, save the money and buy mobile radios, or save up for HF etc.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 1:03:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
I wish everyone would stop recommending nagoya antenna. they are not worth their price. build quality is iffy at best. loads of fakes. just spend $5 more and get a diamond.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 2:00:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I wish everyone would stop recommending nagoya antenna. they are not worth their price. build quality is iffy at best. loads of fakes. just spend $5 more and get a diamond.
View Quote

Plenty of fake Diamond antennas too.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 6:25:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Signal sticks from signal stuff work well for me, are not faked, and the profits go to support hamstudy.org, and keep a great resource free for those studying for a license.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 11:39:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Signal sticks from signal stuff work well for me, are not faked, and the profits go to support hamstudy.org, and keep a great resource free for those studying for a license.
View Quote

I've heard really good things about these antennas. I've only owned one Nagoya and have had no problems with it. I've got the 8" whip. I've had it stuffed in my "go" bag, bent it, dropped it...

I haven't used Diamond antennas, so I cannot comment. The Nagoya is definitely an upgrade over most of the crappy Baofeng one's.

Instead of editing my above post, I'll add this...

After researching radios for a friend, I'd probably recommend a Baofeng UV5R as a first radio and skip the other models. I didn't know you could purchase a better radio for so little.
The Yaesu FT-65 is only $120 (on sale). It can be unlocked to access MURS, GMRS, and FRS. The last time I researched HT's, I don't remember there being anything near this quality under $200+.
For someone willing to spend a little more, this looks like a much better radio in every way.

Link Posted: 3/11/2022 12:58:38 PM EDT
[#26]
DX engineering has the FT-65R listed at 90 bucks. They also list the FT4-XR at 90 bucks.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 1:32:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
DX engineering has the FT-65R listed at 90 bucks. They also list the FT4-XR at 90 bucks.
View Quote

Which are fine if you're an amateur licensee.

Most people asking how to use a baofeng aren't amateur licensees, and need MURS/GMRS/FRS.  Which the listed amateur-specific radios aren't good choices for. Regardless of modification, traditionally part 97 amateur radios from the "big 3" don't perform well outside the amateur bands, as their circuitry is not designed to perform there. A baofeng that's designed to cover the entire VHF and/or UHF bands doesn't have that problem.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 6:47:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 1:39:08 PM EDT
[#29]
When the Russians finally knock the Ukrainian power down, the Motos will go into deep sleep. A Baofeng UV-5 with a AA case or multiple cheap batteries will still be working. How do I know this?  A long time ago in a state park far away, a SAR team was called out at 7:00 in the evening to find a woman with two children. They went hiking after noon and were reported missing by a family member.  Four search teams got up the trails and then were told to hold positions until daybreak. All the Motos went silent around 2:00am having been on all day and most of the night. A couple of outlaw radios users with spare batteries did what two teams comms after that. This was before everyone had a pocket phone. Two of the teams walked in after the the last radio died.  Woman and kids walked in on their own that morning.  I can guess what the Ukrainian forces are dealing with.

Why didn't the SAR teams have spare batteries for their radios? Because they were urban teams that used what they were issued by their agencies. The teams only did about three multi-day operations a year and most terminated at dusk. It was a mostly (and still is) rural county with a residential tax base.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 1:56:45 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm not proposing to get rid of the expensive LMR trunking radio. They do very well in NORMAL conditions. As Gyprat has indicated, having a backup in extreme circumstances is a good idea.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 2:04:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
When the Russians finally knock the Ukrainian power down, the Motos will go into deep sleep. A Baofeng UV-5 with a AA case or multiple cheap batteries will still be working. How do I know this?  A long time ago in a state park far away, a SAR team was called out at 7:00 in the evening to find a woman with two children. They went hiking after noon and were reported missing by a family member.  Four search teams got up the trails and then were told to hold positions until daybreak. All the Motos went silent around 2:00am having been on all day and most of the night. A couple of outlaw radios users with spare batteries did what two teams comms after that. This was before everyone had a pocket phone. Two of the teams walked in after the the last radio died.  Woman and kids walked in on their own that morning.  I can guess what the Ukrainian forces are dealing with.

Why didn't the SAR teams have spare batteries for their radios? Because they were urban teams that used what they were issued by their agencies. The teams only did about three multi-day operations a year and most terminated at dusk. It was a mostly (and still is) rural county with a residential tax base.
View Quote

That's a planning problem, not a hardware problem. Quite frankly for that to happen to an agency demonstrates serious incompetence bordering on negligence. I have off-grid sustainable power for my equipment and so can you.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 10:03:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Different times my friend. You guys are benefitting from the massive expenditure on communications that came about after 911. Do you have 25 extra batteries for field units? The only people I know of that does is Federal wildfire.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 10:26:31 PM EDT
[#33]
The field ops are the ones that can't operate beyond 12 hours without a visit to a charging station. The NOLA police that lived in the flood zones had the same problems. Having off grid power for repeaters doesn't help if the individuals radios go dead during an extra long shift.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 5:40:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Different times my friend. You guys are benefitting from the massive expenditure on communications that came about after 911. Do you have 25 extra batteries for field units? The only people I know of that does is Federal wildfire.
View Quote

One of the Forestry service's RFP requirement for portables is that a AA clamshell must be available for the quoted portable. As a result all BK radios going back to the 80's and Astro 25 and newer radios from Motorola in addition to products from other vendors have clamshells available in US Forestry orange. The battery, ease of field programmability and modularity of the BK *PH radios is one of the reasons they had a nearly 30 year long run as the go to portable vendor for the service actually...

It's planning...plain and simple.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 8:57:41 PM EDT
[#35]
I have two of the clamshells for the HT750/HT1250 radios. Unfortunately, the radios were ebay buys and died a couple of years ago. The packs made the radios large like an MBITR, but allowed 2.5 watt transmit. It used 12 AA alkaline cells. I wasn't aware of any equivalent items for the XTS or APX series.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 12:10:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I have two of the clamshells for the HT750/HT1250 radios. Unfortunately, the radios were ebay buys and died a couple of years ago. The packs made the radios large like an MBITR, but allowed 2.5 watt transmit. It used 12 AA alkaline cells. I wasn't aware of any equivalent items for the XTS or APX series.
View Quote

NTN9177 for the XTS5000, NNTN5332A for the XTS2500. I don't keep up with the APX platform very much since about 95% of my mission-critical stuff is on Viking or ES units, with that 5% being an XTS2500 and an old 53SL. The 2500 has the same battery connectors as the Waris series, so your 1250 clamshells will work fine on a 2500.

I keep spare batteries for our radios, a couple AA clamshells, car chargers, and multiple solar/Li-Ion systems capable of running a base station and several portables indefinitely. I could go out into the desert tomorrow and my only real limiting factor would be how much food I can pack. It's just planning.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 1:45:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

No, the dumbass beurocrats STILL haven't changed it on the FCC site, still 70 bucks as of a couple days ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
GMRS fee was cut in half to $35 last year.   $35 for the GMRS license for your 'extended' family, and $45 for a GMRS radio.  And no more looking over your shoulder when you press the transmit button.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/322769/gmrs-small_jpg-2253721.JPG

No, the dumbass beurocrats STILL haven't changed it on the FCC site, still 70 bucks as of a couple days ago.

It was still $70 a week ago.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 3:55:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I've never seen NEW Baofengs programmed with ham frequencies.
They just come with off-the wall frequencies, may be legal in China. Those frequencies should not be used because they may interfere with local 911 or LEO frequencies.
So called locks in Baofengs are nothing but a feature to prevent accidental changes by accidentally pushing wrong buttons.
View Quote
The problem is, there are so many models and many folks either don't know what to look for or don't care.
They just want to mash buttons and talk. I've been there.

If you buy a Beofeng like the BHF8, the GT5R, UV5R or several other models out of the box they are a 2m/70cm capable radio.
Use the VFO button and Up/Down arrows to scroll up or down the band, you'll be neck deep in Amateur Radio/Ham Freqs...

It really doesn't take any programing for that radio (or one like it) to Transmit in simplex mode, you either enter a frequency on the key pad and key up(Push to talk/PTT), or move up or down the band with the Arrows, then when on a frequency you like, key up.
Programing really only comes in, if you want to save a Frequency to memory spot, program in a name or program in a repeater and the Offset, PL/CTCSS tone, DCS and other nerd knobs and such...

IMHO, The key to all these radios is looking at the model numbers, the description and seeing what bands they work on,  
IF it requires a license, can or will you get it.

Amateur Radio sometime called Dual Band? EX: BHF8, the GT5R, UV5R These are 2m/7cm radios, that require an Amateur Radio license.
Tri Band, EX:UV-5RX3 is 2/m,70cm and 1.25m

GMRS, EX: UV-5G It features 30 GMRS pre-programmed channels + 11 NOAA channels with NOAA Weather Radio alert. Requires a GMRS license
GMRS/FRS EX: G11 Has 30 GMRS Channel Transmission (Compatible with FRS Channel) Requires a GMRS license
Both of the GMRS I listed above can be used as is, or programed if you need/want to nerd it up a bit...

Also looking at band plans can be interesting... Like the US Frequency Allocation Charts or
US Amatuer Radio Bands

Link Posted: 3/15/2022 4:53:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
They use PMR466 Private Mobile Radio in the UHF range. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PMR446
View Quote

PMR446 is a european channel set analogous to US FRS. The PMR446 channels are in the 70cm amateur band in the US. Non-amateur licensees should not use PMR446 frequencies.

As far as foreign radio services, the US should adopt the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UHF_CB channel set, and add it onto the existing GMRS and FRS channels. This would create a very usable public access radio service. I would allow up to 25 or 50 watt radios along with DMR digital on some channels. Keep dreaming right...
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 5:51:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

PMR446 is a European channel set analogous to US FRS. The PMR446 channels are in the 70cm amateur band in the US. Non-amateur licensees should not use PMR446 frequencies.

As far as foreign radio services, the US should adopt the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UHF_CB channel set, and add it onto the existing GMRS and FRS channels. This would create a very usable public access radio service. I would allow up to 25 or 50 watt radios along with DMR digital on some channels. Keep dreaming right...
View Quote
My bad, I missed that part and deleted if from my post.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 6:34:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

PMR446 is a european channel set analogous to US FRS. The PMR446 channels are in the 70cm amateur band in the US. Non-amateur licensees should not use PMR446 frequencies.

View Quote

As both Motorola DTR and TriSquare XRS radios demonstrated on 900MHz, it'd be pretty trivial to set up a a digital UHF service with both HTs and mobiles running high power that would be able to handle an enormous number of simultaneous users in any area, handle talkgroups and provide robust secure communications. It'll never happen. I'm assuming there must be pushback from LMR suppliers and the FCC (and who knows, maybe the NSA) that keeps this from even getting explored.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 12:58:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Used to be one called Nextel but it was bandwidth limited intended for voice communications. Sprint wanted the frequencies, bought Nextel and killed it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 2:01:25 PM EDT
[#43]
For the benefit of the LMR people LOL, the mil- spec Baofeng is the AR-152.

I love it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 5:40:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Used to be one called Nextel but it was bandwidth limited intended for voice communications. Sprint wanted the frequencies, bought Nextel and killed it.
View Quote

There's more to it than that. A group from Nextel reformed into a company called PDV Wireless and began to build out a nationwide Motorola Connect Plus system. Around 2019 they actually ceased loading the system as they wanted to migrate everyone to PoC services. Last I had heard they were attempting to petition the FCC to refarm 900 MHz to provide them with 3 MHz of continuous spectrum in 900 MHz for a private LTE service.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 6:50:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

There's more to it than that. A group from Nextel reformed into a company called PDV Wireless and began to build out a nationwide Motorola Connect Plus system. Around 2019 they actually ceased loading the system as they wanted to migrate everyone to PoC services. Last I had heard they were attempting to petition the FCC to refarm 900 MHz to provide them with 3 MHz of continuous spectrum in 900 MHz for a private LTE service.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Way more to it.

Nextel was formed by FCC lawyers, and they were why public safety got moved off of legacy, well characterized 800 into the 700 band. It was a mess.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 7:10:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
For the benefit of the LMR people LOL, the mil- spec Baofeng is the AR-152.

I love it.
View Quote

It's a Baofeng in a green case
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 7:21:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Exactly with a claimed extra large battery and a low price. Radio on a chip. Wish I had a dozen to arm the SC Upstate Geriatric Scofflaw Militia with.

LOL..
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 9:08:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 1:30:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Since the local GMRS repeaters were listed on Mygmrs, there's been a lot of people asking for radio checks using Baofengs. They seem to have a signal report as good as any of the other portable radio users. The bandwidth at UHF frequencies is much wider than VHF high and considerably wider than CB frequencies.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 6:08:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

If understand correctly for a while there were some of these that would illegally work on the GMRS band, but that requires a license too and they were NOT legal on GMRS because they transmitted at a higher power level than allowed on GMRS.
View Quote

GMRS allows 50 watts.  

You're probably confused with FRS.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top