User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2020 8:13:20 PM EDT
Anybody tried one of these?

https://airspy.com/airspy-hf-discovery/

They're about $180 shipped.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 8:21:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Airspy can fuck right off. Or, specifically AirspyUS (the US distributor).

Ordered two Airspy Minis several months ago to play with. While one has indeed been great, the other was DOA.

Contacted them to get an RMA to get a replacement and their replies were well beyond condescending. They swore that a faulty product never leaves their establishment and the problem must be me. Ok, maybe... but I rcvd two units and one was GTG w/o issue and the second was complete toast using same hardware (computers, ant. and such).

After finally convincing them to let me send it in, they refused to issue a call tag for brand new out of box item. Ok, whatever. Then I discover they want me to ship it to a PO box rather than physical location which rules out my normal shipping channels (UPS, FedEX). So bit my lip and sent it USPS.

After a month and a half of no contact, again email to check on status of RMA. The reply I got was laughable. It was as if they had no record of the initial contact, or even RMA and advised they don't recall receiving anything. Tracking shows "delivered", but that is about as much as you can glean from USPS. Started a lost package trace, which has gotten me nowhere. And sadly, I think AirspyUS probably rcvd it, but is so poorly run I doubt they are even aware.

Emailed AirspyUS yet again and the last reply rcvd was basically... "Huh, we'll look into it" then nothing.

Lesson learned I suppose, but I would stay far and away from AirspyUS. Perhaps ordering from a different distributor may help... are there any?

YMMV
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 8:32:44 AM EDT
[#2]
SDRplay RSP1A

I've had good luck with SDRplay and currently own the RSP1A.  Outstanding SDR receiver for the money.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 2:00:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By manji:
Airspy can fuck right off. Or, specifically AirspyUS (the US distributor).

Ordered two Airspy Minis several months ago to play with. While one has indeed been great, the other was DOA.

Contacted them to get an RMA to get a replacement and their replies were well beyond condescending. They swore that a faulty product never leaves their establishment and the problem must be me. Ok, maybe... but I rcvd two units and one was GTG w/o issue and the second was complete toast using same hardware (computers, ant. and such).

After finally convincing them to let me send it in, they refused to issue a call tag for brand new out of box item. Ok, whatever. Then I discover they want me to ship it to a PO box rather than physical location which rules out my normal shipping channels (UPS, FedEX). So bit my lip and sent it USPS.

After a month and a half of no contact, again email to check on status of RMA. The reply I got was laughable. It was as if they had no record of the initial contact, or even RMA and advised they don't recall receiving anything. Tracking shows "delivered", but that is about as much as you can glean from USPS. Started a lost package trace, which has gotten me nowhere. And sadly, I think AirspyUS probably rcvd it, but is so poorly run I doubt they are even aware.

Emailed AirspyUS yet again and the last reply rcvd was basically... "Huh, we'll look into it" then nothing.

Lesson learned I suppose, but I would stay far and away from AirspyUS. Perhaps ordering from a different distributor may help... are there any?

YMMV
View Quote

That's crazy to hear. I've taken receipt of at least 100 airspys from airspy.us and haven't had any experience like that. I've also met them at Dayton a couple times and have enjoyed the conversations.

What was dead about them? Did they give you any type of troubleshooting?

OP the airspy HF and discovery are good radios. Little narrow but really sensitive. The airspy with a spyverter is more capable but also more pricey.

The sdrplay is another good radio to look at. Other than having a wider coverage it has multiple antenna inputs which is really nice.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 8:30:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By K9-Bob:
SDRplay RSP1A

I've had good luck with SDRplay and currently own the RSP1A.  Outstanding SDR receiver for the money.
View Quote

I ordered an rsp1a today.

Link Posted: 5/3/2020 11:29:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Cpt_Kirks:
I ordered an rsp1a today.
View Quote

Hopefully you run Windows and like their software, as getting SDRplay stuff to work on Linux (or I think Mac) or most other software is a real PITA.

That said they're supposed to be pretty good.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 8:06:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Gamma762:

Hopefully you run Windows and like their software, as getting SDRplay stuff to work on Linux (or I think Mac) or most other software is a real PITA.

That said they're supposed to be pretty good.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gamma762:
Originally Posted By Cpt_Kirks:
I ordered an rsp1a today.

Hopefully you run Windows and like their software, as getting SDRplay stuff to work on Linux (or I think Mac) or most other software is a real PITA.

That said they're supposed to be pretty good.

Just got it in and it's GREAT.

Jeez, 80m is crystal clear.  It's almost like 2m.

SDRuno looks looks and works like a rig.

Except you can have five virtual receivers.

Attachment Attached File

Looks cool overlaid on my space shuttle cockpit background.

Link Posted: 5/22/2020 3:38:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I have the sdrplay dx....it’s really good paired up with. my wellbrook al1350 loop antenna...kinda like sir uno, but am wanting to try other software with it so I can start branching out and pulling in other things from the spectrum.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top