Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2018 6:21:37 PM EDT
On Thursday evening I was part of the local Emergency response to a natural gas explosion/event in Massachusetts. I’m on my town’s Auxiliary Fire Emergency Management team and was sent as mutual aid. Because power had been cut to the area, cell service became spotty and Ham radio/Radio comms were our only reliable means of communication. During the height of things, my wife stopped receiving my texts, and couldn’t get through by phone. One thought I had was to set up a SDR dongle for her laptop, and I could transmit my call sign occasionally as I monitor comms and she could listen in. Any particular brand I should look at?
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 8:25:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the RTL-SDR.com unit...if you wanna spend about 3x that Look up the AIRSPY Mini it's a solid choice!

@gcw may or may not concur.

ETA: looks like the Mini is no longer avail??????????
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 8:47:14 AM EDT
[#2]
1.  Lots of options for sdr dongles. +1 for rTL-sdr

2.  What the hell happened?  It seems incredible they lost all pressure control on the system.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 1:09:54 PM EDT
[#3]
The rtl-sdr is the go to. $20 is heard to pass up. For $26 it even comes with a decent antenna.

That said why do you want to go with a SDR? A simple HT or scanner would allow her to listen with a better receiver than a SDR.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 5:44:13 PM EDT
[#4]
APRS in the area? That would be an easy one for her to track you.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 8:36:21 PM EDT
[#5]
RTL-SDR for sure, don't use the junk antennas that come with them though.  Use SDR# (pronounced sdr sharp) as the program recieve.  If you want you can pipe the audio from SDR# into DSD+ using a virtual audio cable and then you can listen to P25, DMR, etc.  It's a little bit of a learning curve at first but then it gets easy.

Could you just leave her a handheld radio so she could also monitor your communications?  If you lose power or windows decides to do updates at an unopportune time you may run into issues in an emergency.  Otherwise APRS world work if you're able to get into an I-Gate.  You would have to guaranty an internet connection for her to be able to reach WWW.APRS.FI .  Alternatively you could setup a basestation to receive the APRS packets directly but now you're back to square one and needing a computer powered up and connected to the radios.  I suggest either getting her a handheld scanner or giving her a handheld radio and just contacting her direct through whatever service you're both capable of operating on (Amateur, FRS, GMRS, ect.)
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 8:47:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
RTL-SDR for sure, don't use the junk antennas that come with them though.  Use SDR# (pronounced sdr sharp) as the program recieve.  If you want you can pipe the audio from SDR# into DSD+ using a virtual audio cable and then you can listen to P25, DMR, etc.  It's a little bit of a learning curve at first but then it gets easy.

Could you just leave her a handheld radio so she could also monitor your communications?  If you lose power or windows decides to do updates at an unopportune time you may run into issues in an emergency.  Otherwise APRS world work if you're able to get into an I-Gate.  You would have to guaranty an internet connection for her to be able to reach WWW.APRS.FI .  Alternatively you could setup a basestation to receive the APRS packets directly but now you're back to square one and needing a computer powered up and connected to the radios.  I suggest either getting her a handheld scanner or giving her a handheld radio and just contacting her direct through whatever service you're both capable of operating on (Amateur, FRS, GMRS, ect.)
View Quote
The new antennas that come with the kits are really good. It has a suction cup mount and bendy base mount too
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 12:53:39 AM EDT
[#7]
For this application I'd use an old scanner, just about any of them will do ham 2M FM without issue.
Way easier to set up and use than running a SDR app and dongle. Higher voice audio quality as well.

Probably show up used on ebay for the same price point.

Otherwise, I've been pretty happy with the Nooelec SDR dongles on amazon.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 3:08:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I was visiting my parents in Maine this past week, it made the news there.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 7:33:13 PM EDT
[#9]
what would you be transmitting on fire freqs or ham freqs?
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 7:31:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Old scanner for sure, or a cheap handheld. FAR less complexity.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 12:05:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Way too much complexity I'd think. I would suggest a Baofeng UV-B5, or even the miniature BF-T1.

Best suggestion is to get her a Technician license so she can just communicate as needed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top