Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2015 2:17:07 PM EDT

Bought a Beofeng UV-B5 to replace my Wouxun that has failed.    

The UV-B5 seems to work OK, but I am stumped on setting the
tone for repeaters.  Most all my local repeaters
have offsets that are +/- "XXX.X”.   The
radio manual shows the radio offset range is +/-"XX.XXX”.   I can’t enter the offset needed.    I assume I must be missing something... any suggestions?  

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 5:35:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Which program are you using to program the Baofeng?

Did you first download from radio to computer?  Then modify that file, and load back up to the radio?

Programming is similar to the UV-5R.  Read here.  Programming via CHIRP begins on the second page.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_22/664274_Baofeng_UV_5R_information.html
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 5:44:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I tried Chirp, but I could not get the radio recognized.   I'm guessing my cable is not compatible.  

Will Chirp allow me to program in a larger offset than I can when doing the programming manually on the phone?

edit: ordered a new FTDI cable per Miklor website.  I'll give that a try...

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:37:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I tried Chirp, but I could not get the radio recognized.   I'm guessing my cable is not compatible.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Most likely problem.  

Will Chirp allow me to program in a larger offset than I can when doing the programming manually on the phone?

Yes.  

Read here.  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_22/664274_Baofeng_UV_5R_information.html&page=2

edit: ordered a new FTDI cable per Miklor website.  I'll give that a try...  

Good!
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:00:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I think you are confusing tone and offset.

Tone (CTCSS) would be a number like 88.5 (Hz) or 123.0 (Hz).

Offset would be 600kHz aka 0.600 (MHz) in the 2 meter band, or 5.000MHz on 440.

Offset is the difference between the receive frequency and the transmit frequency for a duplex system (half duplex to the user). On the UV-B5 if you're programming from the keypad there are two items in the menu that both have to be set for a duplex channel... one for the offset amount, the other to activate the offset and say which direction.

Tone is an encoded signal that is used for selective access and squelching. You generally have to encode the correct tone to access (most) amateur repeaters. Most of the time you probably want to turn the tone on for transmit only.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:33:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Offset is the difference between the receive frequency and the transmit frequency for a duplex system (half duplex to the user). On the UV-B5 if you're programming from the keypad there are two items in the menu that both have to be set for a duplex channel... one for the offset amount, the other to activate the offset and say which direction.

Tone is an encoded signal that is used for selective access and squelching. You generally have to encode the correct tone to access (most) amateur repeaters. Most of the time you probably want to turn the tone on for transmit only.
View Quote
Thanks.  The tone setting is what I cannot set when using the radio keypad.    

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:55:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

use the dial to change the tone, not the keypad.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 3:14:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes you scroll through the tones with the knob on top.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:30:51 AM EDT
[#8]
DO NOT set a receive tone.

Just don't.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:49:39 AM EDT
[#9]
looks like you got your question answered, OP..

NOW, let us know what you think of the HT..
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:28:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
DO NOT set a receive tone.

Just don't.
View Quote

I like setting receive tones for repeaters that pass them through - Keeps the radio from unsquelching on random spurs, computer clock harmonics, etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top