Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2015 11:34:44 PM EDT
I bought one of the HF 45 watt solar panel kits a few years back and never had a use for the lights that come with it.  Well, after a few beers tonight I got a wild hair and converted my desk lamp to power poles and put one of the HF bulbs in it.  The laptop is still plugged into the wall, but everything else is running off the batteries.  There's plenty of light.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:41:29 AM EDT
[#1]
That is one big hole in my station: I have everything in my shack automatically switch over to battery power when I have a commercial power outage.
When the power goes out, I always immediately come down to my shack to operate since I don't have anything else to do with no power.
However it's only then that I remember that the one thing I don't have connected to batteries is the lighting. At that point I always say that first thing in the morning I am going to fix that and thus far have never remembered to do it.
I can sit here an run all my radio equipment but without a battery powered lantern I can't see
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:13:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:20:16 PM EDT
[#3]
The lights are useless as manufactured!  The on/off switch is on the power plug end, NOT on the bulb end!  I took one and rewired it to have the switch on the bulb end.  
I like your idea on rewiring a desk lamp to 12v.  Great idea, which I may steal!

Bill

ETA:  My wife bought USB powered white LED string for Christmas lights, which I may use on my portable HF setup.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:22:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is one big hole in my station: I have everything in my shack automatically switch over to battery power when I have a commercial power outage.
When the power goes out, I always immediately come down to my shack to operate since I don't have anything else to do with no power.
However it's only then that I remember that the one thing I don't have connected to batteries is the lighting. At that point I always say that first thing in the morning I am going to fix that and thus far have never remembered to do it.
I can sit here an run all my radio equipment but without a battery powered lantern I can't see
View Quote

Good lord, you and I must be twins separated at birth.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top