Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2013 3:10:51 PM EDT
Hi all. I usually hang around the Survival Forum. 1st time here. Anyhow.....I was just given 2 mobile radios,by the family of a recently deceased fellow. One is a 1977 vintage Royce 40 channel CB model 1-648, and it tested out fine!  The other is a Clegg FM 27B. A quick search on the net tells me its a 2 Meter mobile radio of appx the same era as the Royce. I have not attempted to power it up yet. One reason is I have no idea what sort of antenna I should attach to it. It DOES seem to have the same type connector as the Royce CB,so it appears as though I could attach the CB antenna I used to test the Royce. Also...I have no idea what I would do with,or how to interpret the numbering on the face of the radio. One section says "Transmit Channel" and has 2 knobs,each with scales from 0 to 9. The 2nd section says "Receiver Channel" and has the same 2 knobs with the same 2 scales.
I DO realize I would need a license to transmit. I would,at least at this point,like to verify that it powers up,and receives.
Here is a link to a page that has a photo of the face of the Clegg.
http://rigreference.com/en/rigs/reviews/2489
ANY help/info would be appreciated. Who knows,I may have been given a new hobby!
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:26:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Your best bet is to go to the ARRL website and find a local club. The guys there should be more than happy to test it out for you.

I am on my phone so no hot link, just Google ARRL
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:46:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I remember seeing magazine adds for those Clegg radios back in the days!  They're outdated for sure but would also be fun to play with.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:12:08 PM EDT
[#3]
You can hook up the CB antenna to recieve on, but don't transmit through the CB antenna. In reality, you only need a 19 and 5/16 inch whip for 2 meters. The Clegg is an old timer, but can be useful for simplex comms or repeaters that do not use a CTCSS tone, unless it has a CTCSS board in it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:27:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I had one of those years ago, They are pretty simple to use.

They cover the top half of the two meter band.

Set the TX frequency on one side and the RX on the other
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:33:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Well......Thanks all. I hooked it up in my truck just a bit ago,slapped the mag base CB antenna on the roof,and turned it on.
I set the small center 4 position knob all the way counter clockwise. All it says is 146 on the left and 147 on the right,with 2 "clicks" in between the 2.
Then I set the 2 "receiver channel" knobs both at zero. I slowly turned the right hand one all the way to nine. Along the way I heard all sorts of strange noises,from growling,to both high and low pitch thumping sounds,and many I cannot describe.
The I placed the left hand knob to "1" and did the 0 to 9 sweep on the right knob again,with similar results.
Repeated these actions for all 9 positions of the left knob,and repeated the ENTIRE procedure for all 4 positions of the small center knob.
With the 4 position knob all the way to "147" and receiver knobs set at (left hand) 1 and (right hand) at 3 I briefly and only once heard a human voice saying "repeater" and then a number,which I do not now recall. I stayed on that setting and listened for a minute or 2,but never heard this again.
I realize you guys are probably having a good chuckle over my explanation,above, but in spite of that,would anyone care to tell me what I experienced?
I suppose I was expecting to hear more voices at various settings,and was a bit disappointed about it.
On a positive note........I think this old radio actually works!
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:40:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like you received the automated voice ID of a repeater, which means it receives!
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:13:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I realize you guys are probably having a good chuckle over my explanation,above, but in spite of that,would anyone care to tell me what I experienced?
I suppose I was expecting to hear more voices at various settings,and was a bit disappointed about it.
On a positive note........I think this old radio actually works!
View Quote

Not too much of a chuckle.

Like KCC said, it means your radio does receive, and the voice you heard was most likely an automated message from a repeater.  Repeaters are required to periodically identify themselves per FCC regulations, and do it on timers.  They also identify themselves when someone keys up the repeater under certain circumstances.  

If you had heard the whole message it might have sounded something like: "This is the XYZ8NP repeater system on blah blah blah with a PL tone of blah blah blah" etc...  The messages vary, but are automated and simply serve to ident the tower.

Depending on your area and the amount of radio traffic, it would be easy to tune through the portion of traffic you can hear without hearing anything.  If you don't know which exact freqs to listen to, you might have to hunt a bit.  The fact that you heard a voice does indeed verify that you are receiving though.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:21:44 PM EDT
[#8]
...op are those freq selector controls switches or pots????
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:38:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks again for the replies/info!  Pretty amazing that this thing still works!
@ Spanishinqusition: The left 0-9 dial is a switch and the right 0-9  is a pot.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:37:50 PM EDT
[#10]
BTW.....Just out of curiosity, I just went to QRZ.com and took the Sample Technicians test twice, scoring 62% and 60%, having never read any licensing info/guide/study materials,or knowing anything about HAM Radio (as evidenced by my previous posts!). I've always been a tinkerer of sorts and know a little of the material on my own. Guess I'd better study up. Shouldn't be tough to pass if I actually the book!
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:40:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
BTW.....Just out of curiosity, I just went to QRZ.com and took the Sample Technicians test twice, scoring 62% and 60%, having never read any licensing info/guide/study materials,or knowing anything about HAM Radio (as evidenced by my previous posts!). I've always been a tinkerer of sorts and know a little of the material on my own. Guess I'd better study up. Shouldn't be tough to pass if I actually the book!
View Quote

here's another good resource.  I used this to pass the tech and general:

Ham Test Online
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:32:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks! More info is always good! You guys are the best!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top