Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2011 3:28:22 PM EDT
Many of you may remember my posts about working SAG and riding at the Hilly Hundred bike ride.

I posted about it with pictures in this thread. http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_22/651049_Hilly_Hundred.html
Since that ride I have joined Bicycle Mobile Hams of America.  BMHA was founded by NA0A, Hartley Alley (SK),  who started the Hilly Hundred.  About a month ago I acquired a BOB Yak trailer and mounted a N9TAX slim jim antenna on a 8 ft flag mast.  It has helped a lot over using the rubber duck on the HT.  With the trailer I am planning to do some bike camping and ham radio.  I don't plan to do HF while riding but will take the IC=703+ and buddistick along for stationary portable use.  My backpack camping gear and food weighs about 35 lbs.  The 703, battery and antenna is about 16 lbs additional.  The trailer weighs 13 lbs.  
In the picture below I have the packed trailer hooked up to my mountain bike.  I can also use it with the road bike.  Pulls very easy.   I like it much better than bike camping with panniers on the bike.  The 8 ft flag and antenna do make it more noticeable with the weight higher than just pulling the trailer,  but still no worse than riding a bike with panniers.

Link Posted: 12/11/2011 3:35:16 PM EDT
[#1]
BMHA website  http://www.bmha-hams.org/

Also check out the Yahoo group for pictures and information on bike mobile.   I plan to take one of my bikes to Dayton in may for the BMHA ride on saturday and the forum on sunday.
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 5:18:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I ride an '11 Specialized Camber Elite 29er and an '11 Rockhopper Pro 29er. Wife also has a Rockhopper. All three bikes can be equipped with VHF/UHF gear and I'm looking to build a couple of whip antenna mounts for our Topeak MTX racks.

With a VX-7R and Diamond tri-band whip on the bike's handlebars I've been able to communicate effectively to the house from as far as 10 miles away. We have a Comet 6/2/440 vertical at 30ft and the radio connected to it had the /BM at S-9 at that distance.

Also thinking about getting hold of an FT-8900 and putting a WIRES node in service for nearby Ohio-Erie Towpath rider-hams. There are a number of us in the vicinity.
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 5:44:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Sweet! Now that my daughter is big enough to ride in one of those kids trailers we were thinking that would make a good Christmas present for her, and guess what? It comes with a flag :) Thats a great Idea for the antenna.

Are you running a 12v battery on your trailer or are your powering your HT off its battery pack?
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 6:38:24 PM EDT
[#4]
A guy from Alaska checked in on our net this fall with a similar set-up. I will have to see if I can dig up his site.
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 6:51:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Sweet! Now that my daughter is big enough to ride in one of those kids trailers we were thinking that would make a good Christmas present for her, and guess what? It comes with a flag :) Thats a great Idea for the antenna.

Are you running a 12v battery on your trailer or are your powering your HT off its battery pack?

Using the HT battery.  pictures of the APRS are on the BMHA Yahoo group.  The flag that came with the trailer was too short.  had to get a taller one.

Link Posted: 12/25/2011 6:04:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Yesterday I took some pictures for a friend who is working on a book.  AMATEUR RADIO IN THE GREAT OUTDOORS.  

He wanted pictures of bike mobile rigs.  This book should be published in the spring.  He already has one book  available.

AMATEUR RADIO PEDESTRIAN MOBILE HANDBOOK.  

Here are a few more pictures of  my bike mobiles.

dry bag holds all the camping gear, food and clothes.   Green backpack holds the IC-703+, buddistick and battery.  The 8 ft flag has a N9TAX antenna for VHF/UHF.  APRS is in the box on the rack with the 1/2 wave Larsen.  HT is in the holder on the handlebars.
Link Posted: 12/25/2011 6:10:04 PM EDT
[#7]

APRS and the 703 are powered by LiFePo4 6.7ah battery and 5 watt solar panel not shown.

My wife says I'm ready for the loony bin.  

Could she be wrong?
Link Posted: 12/25/2011 6:12:25 PM EDT
[#8]
At least the pack is green, not orange.  

Link Posted: 12/25/2011 7:38:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Whats in the box on the rack? 2m APRS setup?

I think its great. keep on keeping on
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 12:14:50 AM EDT
[#10]
That is badass, but if I took a hand off my handlebar to grab the mike, I'd most likely crash!  
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 7:21:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
powered by LiFePo4 6.7ah battery and 5 watt solar panel not shown.
http://keithmillerphotography.com/bike/DSCN0648crop.jpg

more info?
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 10:35:47 AM EDT
[#12]
I've been searching for an ftm-10sr forever for my bike.....
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:30:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

more info?

and what backpack is that green one?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:46:34 AM EDT
[#14]
NERD!!!

I love it
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:46:47 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

more info?

and what backpack is that green one?

I have no idea who made the backpack.   It is a pretty nice small pack that I got at a funshow.    Picked up a green and a black one for $30 each.   Very well made and just the right size for the radio.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:15:58 PM EDT
[#16]
what type of pedals do you have on your bike? Maybe later I'll take a pic of mine.  It's not setup with a mobile yet, but will soon.

how do you like the bob trailer btw?

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:55:36 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

what type of pedals do you have on your bike? Maybe later I'll take a pic of mine.  It's not setup with a mobile yet, but will soon.

Shimano M520L pedals

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/CatalogSearchResultView?storeId=10053&catalogId=10052&langId=-1&pageSize=16&beginIndex=0&searchType=resultSet&sortBy=iphrase+relevance%2F%2F0&cn1=&gast=m520l&searchTerm=m520l

I have used panniers, 2 wheel trailers and now the Bob trailer for one trip and some short local rides.   I like the Bob trailer the best of any of them.  Every 2 wheel trailer I tried pulled very hard.  One big advantage of the Bob is that it can be used with full suspension mountain bikes where you can't use most pannier systems.  For single track a single wheel trailer is the only way to go.  The other trailers I have tried are the Burley and an Amish built trailer.  The Amish built trailer is very strong,  can carry a lot of weight and will hold up well.... but pulls hard.  Not something I would want to tour with.  I have used it to haul bales of hay and bags of feed to the animals on the farm.  If you want a trailer to go to the store or for a farm truck I would recommend it.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:05:15 PM EDT
[#18]
I went with those pedals for 2 main reasons.  I wanted a pedal that used recessed cleats that I could walk in.  Also wanted to use the same pedals for both the mountain bike and road bike.  These fit the bill and weren't very expensive.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:06:51 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shimano M520L pedals

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/CatalogSearchResultView?storeId=10053&catalogId=10052&langId=-1&pageSize=16&beginIndex=0&searchType=resultSet&sortBy=iphrase+relevance%2F%2F0&cn1=&gast=m520l&searchTerm=m520l

I have used panniers, 2 wheel trailers and now the Bob trailer for one trip and some short local rides.   I like the Bob trailer the best of any of them.  Every 2 wheel trailer I tried pulled very hard.  One big advantage of the Bob is that it can be used with full suspension mountain bikes where you can't use most pannier systems.  For single track a single wheel trailer is the only way to go.  The other trailers I have tried are the Burley and an Amish built trailer.  The Amish built trailer is very strong,  can carry a lot of weight and will hold up well.... but pulls hard.  Not something I would want to tour with.  I have used it to haul bales of hay and bags of feed to the animals on the farm.  If you want a trailer to go to the store or for a farm truck I would recommend it.

Cool, those are the same exact ones i use on my 2010(I think) Cannondale T1.  I have a full set of Ortlieb roller plus panniers and a medium plus handlebar bag on my bike.  I've debated on getting BOB for heavier stuff such as comm equipment on short runs.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:07:46 PM EDT
[#20]
I have been thinking about getting a battery that has been recommended in several of the QRP yahoo groups.  Looks like a good battery and it will fit in a water bottle holder.

http://www.batteryspace.com/waterbottlelifepo4battery128v6800mah8704whforhidhalogenbikelighttrial-techfemaleplug.aspx
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:10:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shimano M520L pedals

Cool, those are the same exact ones i use on my 2010(I think) Cannondale T1.  I have a full set of Ortlieb roller plus panniers and a medium plus handlebar bag on my bike.  I've debated on getting BOB for heavier stuff such as comm equipment on short runs.

your avatar forces me to mention another  way I used the Amish trailer.    I took the bike and trailer about 20 miles to pick up a Rotax 582 engine for a homebuilt plane.  

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:12:22 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a 14 watt powerfilm rollable that fits perfectly around my back bag and panniers. I"m probably going to go with a 10Ah LFP battery that's also regulated down to 5v 2A for powering my bike lights/gps/cellphone. I've been debating using a ftm-10sr for the bike, but have concerns on it's power consumption. I figure worst case scenario, i'll lash my ft-60r to the handlebar bag and run 12v to it from the LFP battery.  I'm going to use a genasun charge regulator for the solar panel/battery combo. I haven't decided on an antenna setup just yet, but I do have a buddipole setup i can throw in the bag for HF.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:14:10 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shimano M520L pedals

your avatar forces me to mention another  way I used the Amish trailer.    I took the bike and trailer about 20 miles to pick up a Rotax 582 engine for a homebuilt plane.  

582, eh? I started on a vans rv-3 a while back. It's on the back burner for a couple more years.  I should deck my cessna out with aprs gear one of these days.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:17:02 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I have a 14 watt powerfilm rollable that fits perfectly around my back bag and panniers. I"m probably going to go with a 10Ah LFP battery that's also regulated down to 5v 2A for powering my bike lights/gps/cellphone. I've been debating using a ftm-10sr for the bike, but have concerns on it's power consumption. I figure worst case scenario, i'll lash my ft-60r to the handlebar bag and run 12v to it from the LFP battery.  I'm going to use a genasun charge regulator for the solar panel/battery combo. I haven't decided on an antenna setup just yet, but I do have a buddipole setup i can throw in the bag for HF.

Sometime when I go to Cuyahoga Falls to ride with my cousin we should meet up and compare our bikes, planes and radios.  

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:20:36 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sometime when I go to Cuyahoga Falls to ride with my cousin we should meet up and compare our bikes, planes and radios.  

I'm in akron. My main ride goes through the valley

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top