Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2011 8:48:07 AM EDT
This may be of interest to some.

Microchip Engineers Built Amateur Satellite That Deploys From International Space Station Tomorrow Morning

Satellite Design Team Launches Blog About Project; Deployment to be Broadcast Live on NASA TV and Online
A volunteer team of Microchip engineers spent nearly four years working nights and weekends to develop the ARISSat-1 amateur satellite. Their hard work will come to fruition tomorrow (Wednesday) morning at 7:30 a.m. (Pacific Time), when the crew of the International Space Station (ISS) is scheduled to deploy the satellite during a spacewalk. The deployment will be broadcast live on NASA TV and online.  

Additionally, ARISSat-1 design-team leader Steven Bible launched the limited-series Chips in Space Blog on EE Times' web site last week, to both educate and entertain readers by relating the story of how he and his colleagues came to build the satellite, and the challenges they faced along the way.  Bible will also provide analysis of the satellite's deployment and functionality.
ARISSat-1 is the prototype test flight for a proposed series of educational satellites being developed in a partnership with the Radio Amateur Satellite Corp. (AMSAT), the NASA Office of Education ISS National Lab Project, the Amateur Radio on ISS (ARISS) working group and RSC-Energia.  
If all goes well with tomorrow's deployment, it will perform the following primary functions:  
Two-way communication via UHF uplink and VHF downlink, for use by ham radio operators
Visuals of space from four cameras
Recharging of the satellite's battery using solar panels, enabling months of operation
Transmission of audio greetings in many languages, for reception via simple radios or scanners
Telemetry transmissions with updates on the health of the satellite
House an experiment from Russia's Kursk University that measures atmospheric pressure

Link Posted: 8/3/2011 11:26:38 AM EDT
[#1]
You might want to follow the thread on QRZ.com. The sat was deployed without its UHF antenna.

Watched the first 30 mins of the spacewalk. They were man-handling the thing and it was bangiing on stuff. I don't treat toasters that way. Seeing how the sat was treated it wouldn't surprise me something got broken in the process. When the question of whether an antenna was broken off one of the cosmonauts stated, "I've been here 3 months and this thing has always had one antenna."

Didn't give me the warm fuzzies.
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 12:50:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Was the cosmonaut IBEW?
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 5:26:54 PM EDT
[#3]
open the window and toss it out there
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 6:04:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Was the cosmonaut IBEW?

Link Posted: 8/3/2011 7:17:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You might want to follow the thread on QRZ.com. The sat was deployed without its UHF antenna.

Watched the first 30 mins of the spacewalk. They were man-handling the thing and it was bangiing on stuff. I don't treat toasters that way. Seeing how the sat was treated it wouldn't surprise me something got broken in the process. When the question of whether an antenna was broken off one of the cosmonauts stated, "I've been here 3 months and this thing has always had one antenna."

Didn't give me the warm fuzzies.

You gotta be kidding...

Listening for it on 146.958

Link Posted: 8/4/2011 4:29:19 AM EDT
[#6]
and we just sold out the space shuttle commuting processes to these russian yehoos?
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 7:03:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Was the cosmonaut IBEW?

Nope!  CWA.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 7:11:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Was the cosmonaut IBEW?

Nope!  CWA.

HEY! I resemble that remark...
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 7:40:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Apparently even with the busted off UHF uplink antenna the thing is working. There are reports of successful contacts.

http://arissat1.org/v3/
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 8:33:18 AM EDT
[#10]
tag
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 10:53:06 AM EDT
[#11]
I listened all last night to 145.958 NFM and never hear the sq break or at least didn't wake me up.

Anyone heard anything or am I doing something wrong?

Does the sat have the ability to orient itself for the cameras or does it tumble?
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 3:11:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I listened all last night to 145.958 NFM and never hear the sq break or at least didn't wake me up.

Does the sat have the ability to orient itself for the cameras or does it tumble?

When trying to hit a sat, you need to have the sq set to zero, although it is FM the signals are significantly weak compared to a repeater. If you google amateur radio satellite you can check out some neat YouTube video's.

ETA: The sat tumbles through space so you will have some picket fencing as the antenna rotates out of LOS.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 3:13:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Apparently even with the busted off UHF uplink antenna the thing is working. There are reports of successful contacts.

http://arissat1.org/v3/

Did they really break the uplink antenna off?
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 8:56:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Was the cosmonaut IBEW?

I
Busted
Every
Wire

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 9:26:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Is there telemetry on this?  How can I track/predict it?

Edit:  Found it.

ARISSat-1 also known as Radioskaf-b or Kedr has been given a catalog number of 37772 and called Radioskaf-b in the Keplerian list.

Graham Shirville, G3VZV notes that ARISSat-1 leads the ISS by 20 seconds and is less than 1 km below it.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:16:06 PM EDT
[#16]
If only I had a 2-meter SSB radio....
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 2:02:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If only I had a 2-meter SSB radio....

I resemble that remark
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:15:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

When trying to hit a sat, you need to have the sq set to zero, although it is FM the signals are significantly weak compared to a repeater. If you google amateur radio satellite you can check out some neat YouTube video's.

ETA: The sat tumbles through space so you will have some picket fencing as the antenna rotates out of LOS.

I think I have too much RFI from the inverter, IP radios, etc, etc.

I'm going to have to move the antenna maybe 20 or 30 feet away and try again.

I also have a GasFet preamp I can put inline.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top