Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2011 6:34:30 PM EDT
I have had my general for a couple of years now and have done very little with it.  I want to get a handheld unit, and I think I've settled in on the 8r, 8gr, or 8dr.  It is highly likely that I am misunderstanding what I am reading, but I think that the 8r and 8gr are dedicated 2m and 70cm units, while the 8dr has some expanded band coverage.  First off, if my understanding happens to be correct, does the 8dr do a good job at everything, or is it more of an expanded capability feature that is kind of an attempt for one device to do a lot?

What are the biggest differences between the 8r and 8gr?  

On one hand, I want something that is simple, especially for repeater stuff.  On the other, if a unit is easy to use and has expanded features that are truly a benefit, then I agree what was posted in another similar thread about growing into your toys.

Disclaimer:  I know this is similar to another thread, and I didn't want to hijack that one.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:04:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I know...this falls in the 9mm vs. 45acp category, doesn't it?
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:10:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm sorry I can't really help because I don't own either one.  But from looking at the specs it looks like the 8DR has a lot more receive coverage, and also transmits on 6 meters and 220 while the 8GR doesn't.  The 8DR also has a separate broadcast receiver and ferrite bar antenna.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:31:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm sorry I can't really help because I don't own either one.  But from looking at the specs it looks like the 8DR has a lot more receive coverage, and also transmits on 6 meters and 220 while the 8GR doesn't.  The 8DR also has a separate broadcast receiver and ferrite bar antenna.

Yes, the DR model has extra transmit bands that the GR does not.  The DR has an optional GPS unit while the GR has GPS built right in.  

There's a feature by feature comparison HERE..
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:35:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a VX-7r and was all set to upgrade to the VX-8 when it came out....untill I started reading some of he reviews. At the time I decided to stay with my VX-7r.

I can't tell you, without going and looking for, what the issues were that folks were dinging the VX-8 on, but I imagine they are still out there on the internet to be read. Additionally, I don't know if whatever those issues were have been addressed by Yeasu yet.

EHam reviews (3.9 out of 5 rating) have a good numer of comments like this:

"I like the menu system, very easy to use but that is about all you can say about this overpriced under performing radio. Receive is insensitive and transmit is even worse. The APRS facility is next to useless even using a hi gain external antenna. The speaker mic is far too quiet and the bluetooth is unreliable.

The accesories are not interchangeable and designed to generate cash for Yaesu. I will certainly think twice about buying Yaesu again - and I sold my VX6 to buy this junk."

and:

"After owning this radio for 18 months I have to report that it fails to measure up to other HT models from Yaesu and other manufacturers. Transmit audio reports have been terrible. The audio is very narrow...high pitched and tinny. The receive audio is extremely low in volume from both the internal speaker and worse from the speaker mic. I sent the radio back to Yeasu factory service to have these issues checked. I also asked them to check the transmited bandwidth. The radio was returned to me with a new internal speaker. I tested the radio and found no improvment. Sadly this radio sits as only a back-up ht. It is certainly not my favorite. I would never sell this HT to another ham, knowing how it performs. I conclude that the VX-8 series of radios has not been one of Yeasu's shinnig products."

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/7543?page=1

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:51:08 AM EDT
[#5]
The above is why I went with a 7R which is Beyond even what I hoped for.  Plus I'm still trying to convince myself APRS is useful to me.  I really don't want people knowing everywhere I go....
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 4:08:04 PM EDT
[#6]
If you've got no interest in APRS, stick with a VX7.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:46:34 AM EDT
[#7]
VX-7R it is.  Thanks for the recommendations.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:49:21 AM EDT
[#8]
You will be very happy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top