Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2009 9:40:23 AM EDT
Ok, so on Saturday 5, 2009 I started an Individual Preparedness Net. It was ok for a first. Bad thing for the Net is, I can only run it every two weeks.

Well 2 weeks has come and it will be on again Saturday 19,2009 at 2000hrs on the 146.640 repeater located in Holiday, Fl and also on Echolink using the KE4YDH (79540) Node.

I am looking for a discussion topic for this coming net, Any ideas are welcome.

Really last week was off the cuff, and was generally a "What are you doing to prepare?" Net.... I have advertised on their yahoo groups page, but not getting the amount of discussion I was hoping for yet (I know it was only the first one.). I got to thinking, the orginal preparedness guys might want to join in on this net, and help a brother out...
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 10:53:48 AM EDT
[#1]
My emergency preps are fairly...uh...thorough

Are crusty old Yankees welcome?
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 5:24:44 PM EDT
[#2]
All are welcome... Just keep in mind, I am still working on the best direction to go with this net... So if it still seems off the cuff, thats why...

However, thanks to KJ4LXW (I think it is) we will be discussing First Aid and the like this saturday... Mostly what do you maintain for a First Aid Bag? Have you ever used it etc, etc, etc, etc....
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 5:33:54 PM EDT
[#3]
EchoLink Node 79540 is not found. Is it always up or just for the net?
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 3:21:19 AM EDT
[#4]

Every two weeks is a bit ambitious for a discussion topic. Our local ARES net is doing good just to get check-ins on a weekly basis. That said, there is plenty of material to work with in the survival forum and you can also work off of current event topics, stuff that is happening or happened in the news local or national.

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 5:13:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Really last week was off the cuff, and was generally a "What are you doing to prepare?"

How about, "Are you really prepared?" While conducting a net one day many years ago from his home, a ham (not me but someone else) really, really embarassed himself when he went off the air. The reason? A $.45 fuse failed! And he wasn't able to fix it right away: he didn't have the backup fuse!

It's always the small stuff that knocks you off the air.

You may wish to segue into a wider discussion, subject: Problems occur when something goes wrong. SHTF occurs when SEVERAL things go wrong, in sequence. A great example is that of a ARFCOM member who posted a few months ago about his "afternoon" 4x4 trip that went seriously wrong. First he got into snow he couldn't get out of. Then he didn't have his own recovery equipment: he'd left it at home. Then, he couldn't get a cell phone signal. THEN ... it just kept cascading. Of course, he wasn't prepared for an overnight stay: no heavy jacket, let alone sleeping bag, water, food, etc.

Disasters occur when a CASCADING series of failures occur. Good subject for discussion, I think.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 6:15:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Every two weeks is a bit ambitious for a discussion topic. Our local ARES net is doing good just to get check-ins on a weekly basis. That said, there is plenty of material to work with in the survival forum and you can also work off of current event topics, stuff that is happening or happened in the news local or national.

This. I speak from experience.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 1:59:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

EchoLink Node 79540 is not found. Is it always up or just for the net?

Hmmm, I thought it was up... I will have to ask tonight... Or check my echolink I suppose.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 9:46:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Can't find call sign, node, or freq on EchoLink........
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 12:03:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Echolink for this node is down... I cant make contact with anyone as of yet...
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 3:27:25 PM EDT
[#10]
For those interested in listening in, try to locate me on skype (Ablesentry) and we can try to get that to work if you are not a ham already...
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 8:35:53 AM EDT
[#11]
double tap
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 8:57:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So, people are giving out their callsign on a HAM frequency while discussing their current preparations or their willingness to prepare?  

Folks need to be careful about protecting their privacy during this.

Link Posted: 12/20/2009 1:52:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, people are giving out their callsign on a HAM frequency while discussing their current preparations or their willingness to prepare?

Folks need to be careful about protecting their privacy during this.

Well, if you think about it. Your call is already out there. The net is not about how many firearms you have, its about what others are doing to prepare for what ever is out there... If they ever get the echolink back up, then you will be  able to listen in.

I think I have already said its not the Government I fear. Its those with ill intent around me that are the problem... The government make loud foot steps, its the pitter patters that worry me... Those that are not preparing and are looking for the free hand out or what ever they can get their hands on... Thats my concern...

Link Posted: 12/20/2009 6:22:29 PM EDT
[#14]

i'd like to join the next net.  i was a little busy this time around.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 12/21/2009 4:58:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Ar-jedi,

Yeah, I would say you had your hands full there... Pretty color for your truck though..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top