Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2009 8:25:16 AM EDT
After winning a complete Yaesu FT-897d setup on Ebay, yesterday I installed a Diamond X-200a vertical antenna on the back edge of my roof. Not in compliance with my HOA but I hope that since it is only 8 ft tall and you can't see it from the street it will be ignored. Possibly coincidence but one of my more nosy, busy-body neighbors was already poking around the back lot, hopefully looking for his dog but I am fearful he already spotted the antenna. Waiting to see if I get a letter in the mail this week. Anyway, had great fun listening to storm chasers and a couple of Sunday night nets last night. Need to get out and see what kind of range it gives me from my VX-8R that I am using for my mobile right now, running off of a roof-mount mobile antenna.

Next is to run a wire around the house for 10m > 80m, maybe even 160m if the antenna tuner I got will really match that well.
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 8:51:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I had a similar issue.  I went with an X-50A, made sure the install looked "clean", and no one has bitched in a year.
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 8:59:33 AM EDT
[#2]
The 200 is a great antenna. I was going to get the 50 but we've standardized on the 200 for ARES so I decided to go with it myself. I've been very happy. Simplex has greatly improved. HOA here as well but nobody has said anything. Hopefully they won't notice the 70' tower I want to put up.
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 9:06:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm pretty much mobile-only (and don't have an HOA) but there are enough skinny antennas out there that noone will notice that I can't imagine that, long term, you'll have a problem.  If they bitch about this one, put in one they can't see.
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 9:08:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Say it is for TV reception and I think you are protected by some law
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 4:59:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Say it is for TV reception and I think you are protected by some law

I think this is so. The switch to digital TV might be your friend.
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 7:02:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 9:25:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Check with ARRL and I think you are exempt from the HOA rules concerning Ham radio antenna's.  Because Ham radio is a form of emergency comm's you should get a wavier with the HOA.  Make sure that the ARRL office sends you something in writing to present to the HOA when they come to complain.  Several Ham operators has won lawsuits against HOA's because of the antenna restrictions.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 9:58:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Just a note but a medium grey color is better camouflage than black... think Air Force aircraft paint grey.  Flat grey primer is pretty good.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 10:57:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Be careful with painting across insulators.  Some paints are conductive at RF freqs.

I was on a ship once that they shorted out all the radios but one that way.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 4:26:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Check with ARRL and I think you are exempt from the HOA rules concerning Ham radio antenna's.  Because Ham radio is a form of emergency comm's you should get a wavier with the HOA.  Make sure that the ARRL office sends you something in writing to present to the HOA when they come to complain.  Several Ham operators has won lawsuits against HOA's because of the antenna restrictions.

Only TV antennas are protected from CC&Rs/HOAs by the Telecommunication Act of 1996.  PBR-1 protects amature radio antennas from restrictive fedaral laws, but not against CC&Rs of HOA bylaws (the logic here is that CC&Rs are private contracts and if you don't agree with them you shouldn't have bought the house).  See http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/antenna-restrictions.html

Now you might be able to get the HOA to amend the CC&Rs by showing how they are federaly protected and an essential service in time of emergency.  If you are lucky you might have state law
that protects antennas also. For example, in Idaho the law protecting amature radio antennas is the "Emergency Communications Preservation Act" and the purpose of the las is stated as "The purpose of this chapter is to preserve the capability of amateur radio operators within the state of Idaho to provide radio communications in times of emergency and disaster".  Lets see an HOA argue with that!
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 6:42:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Say you are NET control at times when severe weather hits.
Just a thought.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 11:46:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Ok, please explain this to me. Why on earth can a HOA restrict what you can/can't do on your own house, on your own land? Its not like you're required by law to join the HOA, are you?
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 3:11:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Well, I have heard of only a handful of places where the HOA is optional. These are few and far between. In most communities you don't have a choice if you buy a home. Why can they tell you what you can do? Because you agreed to the covenants and restrictions.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 4:59:50 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Well, I have heard of only a handful of places where the HOA is optional. These are few and far between. In most communities you don't have a choice if you buy a home. Why can they tell you what you can do? Because you agreed to the covenants and restrictions.

I would tend to believe that 'mandatory' HOA membership/participation would need to be written into the deed. That would carry forth from the time the subdivision was originally platted and mandate that all subsequent deeds of conveyence would contain the HOA covenents and restrictions.

Personally, I'd rather take an asswhoopin' than buy a house that comes with a HOA.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:50:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I would tend to believe that 'mandatory' HOA membership/participation would need to be written into the deed. That would carry forth from the time the subdivision was originally platted and mandate that all subsequent deeds of conveyence would contain the HOA covenents and restrictions.

You are correct. Sadly that's how it is where I live. The builder specified it. In my naivete when I purchased my first home I thought it was a selling point. You know, keep the riff raff out and all. In the time I've been there (since '97) I've learned better.

Personally, I'd rather take an asswhoopin' than buy a house that comes with a HOA.

My current views are in line with this.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 7:25:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Hey, thanks everyone for all the great replies. Good idea about painting the fiberglass enclosure with some flat grey paint. I will check with the state emergency comms statutes as well.

Had I known 10 years ago I would certainly have looked for a different community. My town is one of the most "anal" in the country (took 16 months to get a permit to put on a new roof because I wanted to use super-premium shingles that weren't on the approved list) so I am just waiting for something to come up. My one neighbor is no problem (ever since I said OK with me for him to shoot the rabbits in his back yard) but the other side is the busy body. I should have researched a bit more, I might have tried one of the home-spun multi-band antenna designs that I could have parked in an outdoor corner of the house and it would have looked like a drain pipe or something.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:13:49 PM EDT
[#17]
HOA's only reason for restricting antennas is some think they are "ugly", and some busybody doesn't like seeing anyone having fun doing something he doesn't do himself.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 7:40:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Did some research and found out that Kansas has passed the "Kansas Emergency Communications Preservation Act" which supports PRB-1, restricting any community or even the state from restricting amateur radio operators from practicing our hobby in order to ensure we are prepared in time of emergency. This includes erecting appropriate antennas. Now HOA's don't necessarily fall under the act but the wording is structured to "strongly discourage" HOA's from trying to forcibly have antennas removed. At least now I have something to fight back with if the need arises.

Thanks for everyone who pointed me in the right direction to look.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 7:52:00 PM EDT
[#19]
HOA= Mini Nazi Regimes

I have a friend that lives in one , I would go midevil on them if they thought for a minute they could control my property .
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 8:17:31 PM EDT
[#20]
F the hoa
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 3:39:53 PM EDT
[#21]
When you sign on to a HOA by buying a house or building a house under their control, you have to do what they say regardless, its a legal contract.  With that said, most DISH network style dish's and small antennas are probably ok, but even that is not always the case.

If you try to fight a contract YOU SIGNED in court, you WILL LOSE unless theres something unreasonable or illegal about the contract itself, if your lucky.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top