Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2007 5:34:38 PM EDT
Can anyone revisit the thread where the guy made a self contained mobile HAM unit in a tackle box!..I thought that was greatest thing I'd seen in awhile!!
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:37:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure if a tackle box can keep modern equipment EMP proof, but I'm curious to see.  Then again, tubes help  

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:41:50 PM EDT
[#2]
It was lined with foil and was really intricate little set up! Im a HAM wannabe so I have no Idea what it was..I just know that when I saw that ...it sparked my interest in HAM! I hope someone knows what Im talking about!
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:11:17 PM EDT
[#3]
If your rig is attached to outside power lines or an antenna it will likely get fried in case of a big EMP event. http://www.survivalblog.com/2006/09/letter_re_expedient_faraday_ca_1.html  Here is a link on making Faraday cages from ammo cans and is pretty informative on the subject. A great deal of what would happen depends on the type of EMP detonation(how high above the earth and thus how large the footprint) and a thousand other factors and the experts are not even sure about all of the effects and I do not pretend to be an expert. My studies do seem to indicate that being tied to outside power lines would be by far the greatest risk. If you are worried about EMP then power your radios from large batteries that are charged by a few solar panels and store radios that are not in use in an old micro-wave oven that has been WELL grounded.The Faraday principle is what keeps the energy inside of a micro-wave so they are in effect perfect Faraday cages. You could also use one of the shielded ammo boxes described in the link above. There is a lot of bad information out there on the subject and I am still trying to learn. On a recent tour of the TennTec factory I studied their in house Faraday cage used to set up some of their most sensitive government agency receivers and it is not complicated. The cage has to be surrounded by metal,in this case a fine mesh hardware cloth over a 2x4 structure and a HUGE ground wire. Completly surrounded my ELECTRICALY connected metal on all six sides and grounded by the shortest path with the largest possible wire seems to be the cure for our EMP worries.73's BallGroundBoy
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 10:17:55 PM EDT
[#4]

On a recent tour of the TennTec factory I studied their in house Faraday cage used to set up some of their most sensitive government agency receivers and it is not complicated.

I've been wanting to visit Sevierville and take the tour as well.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:10:27 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
www.survivalblog.com/2006/09/letter_re_expedient_faraday_ca_1.html  Here is a link on making Faraday cages from ammo cans and is pretty informative on the subject.

a lot of the information in that link is incorrect.  

for example,

As a note the newer radios have very static sensitive and EMF sensitive components in them and as such require a higher level of protection.

advances over the last 10-20 years in semiconductor design and manufacturing techniques have drastically improved resistance to ESD (static) and induced noise.  

moreover,

In regards to EMP protection: an old refrigerator, chest freezer, unused oven, or for that matter, a metal utility cabinet etc. will work.

these types of applicances do not fit the description of a faraday cage; namely, there is no RF integrity.  the insulating seals at the doors etc, and the poor bonding of adjacent surfaces will guarantee RF leakage.  don't believe me?  get a portable radio (ham, weather, etc), turn it up loud, and put it in your refrigerator.  i just did this with my VX170 (a 2M ham radio with a very sensitive receiver) and i can hear NOAA weather on 162.550MHz just fine with the refrigerator door shut.

more info is here,
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=17&t=599861

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:15:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Can anyone revisit the thread where the guy made a self contained mobile HAM unit in a tackle box!..I thought that was greatest thing I'd seen in awhile!!

ps:
click here,
tacked Ham 101 thread --> http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=22&t=604477
and scroll down to the section titled "communications bug-out-boxes / emergency radios" -- there are a lot of links in that post, one of which might contain the box you are looking for.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 9:40:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Perfect!!.. Jedi!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top