Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2010 7:20:34 AM EDT

BALTIMORE (AP) - Call it Zombies 101.

The University of Baltimore is offering a new class on the undead.

The course is being taught by Arnold Blumberg, the author of a book on zombie movies, "Zombiemania," and the curator of Geppi's Entertainment Museum, which focuses on American pop culture.

Students taking English 333 will watch 16 classic zombie films and read zombie comics. As an alternative to a final research paper they may write scripts or draw storyboards for their ideal zombie flicks.

The university isn't the first to have a class on the undead. Columbia College in Chicago has offered a course on Zombies in popular media for years, and at Simpson College in Iowa students spent the spring semester writing a book on "The History of the Great Zombie War."

___

Information from: The Baltimore Sun, http://www.baltimoresun.com

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:27:07 AM EDT
[#1]
The dumbification of America!  Why are we lagging behind in education world wide???  I wonder?????
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:37:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The dumbification of America!  Why are we lagging behind in education world wide???  I wonder?????

+1  WTF!!!!  I love zombie movies, but the thought of a class on the undead....  WTF!!!!

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:41:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Well colleges are full of ppl who cant think for themselves and then try to force their way of "thinking" on you ...

Its perfect.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:42:35 AM EDT
[#4]
All I needed to know about zombies, I learned in "The Art Of The Tactical Rifle."
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:50:56 AM EDT
[#5]
wish I could take it... I freakin hate college courses because of the lack of relevence to anything in my life and low interest. This might actually be something relatively entertaining. I don't need calc or osme liberal arts bullsh!t in my career field. So if I have to take a class that is completely irrelevent might as well be an entertaining one.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:06:40 AM EDT
[#6]
It's a required class for the Santa Clause major in the Fairy Tale Arts department.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:19:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This is an elective class.  It has the same education value as archery or bowling classes, which have been offered for many decades.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:21:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:37:19 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I'm guessing you never took a creative writing course as an elective or part of your core.

I would have killed for this class.

No matter how bad student zombie fiction is, it's better than the crap pumped out by angst ridden freshmen and scared sophomores.  Jesus, help them.

I'm personally amazed more English prof's don't murder/suicide every day.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:44:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is an elective class.  It has the same education value as archery or bowling classes, which have been offered for many decades.

Yup.

FWIW, I took a "Films of Harold Lloyd" course as an elective.  Loved it!  I still enjoy silent films because of that course.

Electives can have a value, even if they are not germane to the actual degree achieved.

TRG
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:54:50 AM EDT
[#11]
need more training films.......just sayin
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:02:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Am I just missing the point?  Aren't 'Zombies' a metaphor for the end of civilization as we know it, and a wake-up call for the need to learn some of the basic survival techniques that helped our ancestors survive and prosper?

What's bad about teaching that?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:09:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Are the teachers going to teach tactics against the undead?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:20:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Am I just missing the point?  Aren't 'Zombies' a metaphor for the end of civilization as we know it, and a wake-up call for the need to learn some of the basic survival techniques that helped our ancestors survive and prosper?

I guess it would depend on whether they're teaching it.  

Zombie survival classes are a great way to sneak some forethought and preparedness into the skulls full of mush disguised as fun.

The psychology of zombie lit is a great way to highlight the crumbling ethos of independence and coherent thought (again, depending on who's teaching it)

Watching Zombie flicks and writing your own zombie movie?  Considering the quality of the largest portion of the zombie movies out there, it's a stretch to even call this a creative writing class.

ETA: And on this note, we officially need a zombie smiley
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:25:40 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Zombie survival classes are a great way to sneak some forethought and preparedness into the skulls full of mush disguised as fun.

The psychology of zombie lit is a great way to highlight the crumbling ethos of independence and coherent thought (again, depending on who's teaching it)

Watching Zombie flicks and writing your own zombie movie?  Considering the quality of the largest portion of the zombie movies out there, it's a stretch to even call this a creative writing class.

Good point.  Like all things pop-culture, it's certainly possible that the essential nature of the zombie mythos is discarded in favor of 'coolness' - especially in the new wave college environment.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:29:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I kind of like the idea of being able to study whatever you want in college. If you are counting on the federal education system to close any education gaps you're going to be disappointed. On the other hand, for every college offering a zombie class because students want it, there are 10 offering new advanced engineering or computer or math or whatever classes.

Give the students what they want. The ones that matter won't take zombie 101, but will benefit from a college that caters to their customers.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:34:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Undoubtedly, the course will not be taught neither as a preparedness lesson nor as an analysis of the decay of society.....
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:38:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:30:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Y'all can see where I don't go often
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:29:10 PM EDT
[#20]
My first thoughts were about how Caesar put a horse in the Senate, to show how useless and unnecessary it was, in light of his rule....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top