Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2009 3:50:46 PM EDT
Shot a cow elk at 12 noon.  I found a whole herd in a field and had my pic.
I had a cow tag and wanted good meat so I picked a small cow.

She was walking across the field at 200 yards out.
Been practicing a lot with the DPMS panther so I shot
her in the head. My Panther is very accurate.  I was aiming just in front of her eyes and
hit her behind the ear. The herd trotted off and never hit a panic run. They never did see me.

I cut the two back quarters off and drug the rest out with my LaRue tac sling.
I put that sling to the test and it past with flying colors. That sling is tough.
I cut a hole in the elk skin and jammed and wrapped my DPMS half in and
half out of the elk body cavity. I cut a hole in her bottom jaw and wrapped the sling
in it as you can see in the pic. Had no camera with me so I took pics next morning at home.
It was cold and snowy up in the high country.

A closer look

Here is how I stuck the rifle in

My rifle is dirty and bloody but I bet once cleaned up it will be shooting
great once again.

I drug that elk with the Tac sling for 4.5 hours across a mountain in the snow.
Only took me 3 hours or the 2 rear .25's. Total time 7.5 hours.
It was great. One of the best hunts I have had in a long time. When I got that half back
to my truck I grabbed my back pack and went and got the 2 hind quarters , liver, pancreas
heart, lungs.  I even took ALL the bones. I am a hurting MO FO today.

I have pics of the head exit wound. If you want to see PM me and I will send them to you.

Link Posted: 10/25/2009 4:06:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't get me wrong. Thats a great hunt and story, but jamming the gun into the body cavity?? WTF did you do that for?  

And good for you for taking the time to go back and retreive your entire kill . Most people are too damn lazy and would have said F it.   4 hours is the longest its ever taken me to get a kill out of the woods so if i double how tired was I think i have an idea on how tired you are
Link Posted: 10/25/2009 4:12:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Don't get me wrong. Thats a great hunt and story, but jamming the gun into the body cavity?? WTF did you do that for?  

And good for you for taking the time to go back and retreive your entire kill . Most people are too damn lazy and would have said F it.   4 hours is the longest its ever taken me to get a kill out of the woods so if i double how tired was I think i have an idea on how tired you are

I could not drag the elk and carry the weapon. Took the sling off rifle to drag elk and I had to
wrap the sling around both hands most of the time.
Link Posted: 10/25/2009 4:23:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I could not drag the elk and carry the weapon. Took the sling off rifle to drag elk and I had to
wrap the sling around both hands most of the time.

If thats the improv that made it work for you, then kudos. I bet you'll get that rifle clean enough to eat off of and never have lick of trouble out of it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2009 4:28:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice kill BUT why would you want to drag all that bone and hide?
Link Posted: 10/25/2009 5:02:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Nice kill BUT why would you want to drag all that bone and hide?

Dog food
And hide on the wall.
Link Posted: 10/25/2009 6:06:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 10/25/2009 7:35:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I was with you right up until you shoved your weapon into the body cavity.  I'm all for staging shots in an effort to post something of interest but..........Then again it sounds like you shoved it in there out of necessity.

Link Posted: 10/26/2009 7:53:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Well done...what unit?

Glad you got your freezer stocked!
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 11:06:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Way weird in my opinion to put a perfectly good rifle inside of an elk to assist in dragging.
I've pulled my fair share of elk/deer out and never even thought about doing that.  
Rope, stick, etc etc...  

Nice cow though and nice shot.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 9:41:19 AM EDT
[#10]

The rifle is fine. A little bloody but it did not take a beating so
once cleaned up I am sure it will be OK.

You guys act like you never got your safe queen dirty.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 9:51:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Nice shot.  What type of ammo were you using?
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 2:22:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Nice shot.  What type of ammo were you using?

41 gr  2230,, cci mil primer,, 165gr nosler ballistic tip.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 7:30:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Thats a new one on me...elk carries hunters rifle
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:36:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Improvise!

Nice job - I'd love to see the other pictures.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top