Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2022 11:46:51 AM EDT
A friend of mine has an old boat trailer in the weeds and hasn't been touched in years. He wants to sell it to me for $100. Anyone have any tips on steel and design of a utility trailer? I'm reading lots of threads and looking at pictures, and think I can handle welding it up. Looks like a real fun project. I'm mostly deciding how thick of angle iron i should get for the build.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 12:18:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Those are usually galvanized,  horrible and toxic to weld on. Prepare accordingly.

Link Posted: 5/24/2022 12:59:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Galvanized or aluminum? What size? If you want to just use it for odd jobs it’ll probably work out. If you want to haul a mini or yards of dirt I’d say go buy a trailer meant for it. If it’s seen salt water it’s probably rotted to hell.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 1:28:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Those are usually galvanized,  horrible and toxic to weld on. Prepare accordingly.

View Quote

Good tip. I will have to check. I only saw it once driving past it as of right now, but its painted and slightly surface rusting so i think chances are it's not. But, i will check. If it is, i can probably bolt some stuff together.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 2:08:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Goal of the project is 90% to haul my atv to my friends cabin every so often, ice fishing, and running to home depot or whatnot for bigger material lumber or whatnot.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 8:26:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep, got one cheap, did some fab work.  Pretty heavy duty.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 8:36:11 PM EDT
[#6]
It's possible, I made a flatbed out of a 22' bass boat trailer, it's perfect for hauling lumber and the ATV's.   All I really did was bolt 2x6 boards lengthwise after welding pipe from side to side.

a Few tie down loops on the main beams and I was in business. 4,500 lb capacity with surge brakes.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 8:45:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Pay attention to center of gravity, axle on a boat trailer is way back there because of all the motor weight on the ass end of a boat
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 8:52:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A friend of mine has an old boat trailer in the weeds and hasn't been touched in years. He wants to sell it to me for $100. Anyone have any tips on steel and design of a utility trailer? I'm reading lots of threads and looking at pictures, and think I can handle welding it up. Looks like a real fun project. I'm mostly deciding how thick of angle iron i should get for the build.
View Quote

Look up a YouTuber Matt’s Off Road Recovery. He built a flatbed trailer out of an old boat trailer to recover busted side by side ATVs out of the desert. He has a how he did it video.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 8:44:22 AM EDT
[#9]
I have one built from a 14' Jon boat trailer back in HS.

Empty there's probably 300# of tongue weight.

It hasn't been used in over a decade.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 1:06:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Major Trailer Carnage ?On This One!?

BOAT TRAILER TO UTILITY TRAILER
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:17:16 AM EDT
[#11]
I built a camper trailer in to a utility trailer.  

Just added some additional angle iron and built side walls about a foot tall.

Works great for hauling the four wheelers.

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top