Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/9/2019 7:12:56 PM EDT
We recently purchased a farmhouse built in 1873. The house has approximately 3000 square feet of living space and a 1300 square foot unfinished basement.

The house sits on just under 11 acres, most of which is pasture, and has five outbuildings: a shop, open sided garage/barn, chicken coop connected to the open aided garage by a covered breezeway, a storage building with attached animal stalls, an open sided outdoor kitchen with a small storage room, and a pump house.

The place is livable and has had some work recently but there are a lot of projects that need to be done.

This thread is inspired by SWIRE’s long term investment thread and will be used to document and share some of the projects that I am working on.

We plan to raise livestock, vegetables, bees etc. as time and resources allow.

I have no professional experience in the trades and I didn’t growup with anyone handy so I am very much learning as I go.

It’s going to be an adventure.

@SWIRE
@Kitties-with-Sigs
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 7:22:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds fun.  Are you near me? I'm in Greenwood on the western side of the state.
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 7:55:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Near Winnsboro
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 8:05:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Near Winnsboro
View Quote
Me too.

I'm up 200 across exit 48, about 5 miles south of Great Falls.

How far does that put you?

I'd love to buy local honey from you when you get it going. I know quite a good many folks that are looking for a new supplier. Our regular is getting worse in health, and he's not as reliable as before, and he probably won't be able to keep doing it too many more years.
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 8:08:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 8:13:15 PM EDT
[#5]
should start a youtube channel
they make tons of cash diy ing houses
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 8:37:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Tag for pics...
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 8:40:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey I'm kinda close off exit 82 abc
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 9:11:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Awesome thread.  Take a lot of pictures.  Also go to Google maps and save images from their satellite view.  Do the same with Bing.  The images will be different ages and can give you a glimpse back in time.  If you need help with that let me know.  I bought my project house in 2016 but the satellite images at that time were from 2008.

Also if you can get someone with a drone to do a fly over and take video and pictures that will be good as well.  I was wanting to that every month but I'm lucky if I get it done every 4 to 6 months.  That historical record helps with things like "when did the roof start losing shingles" or "how much of the brush have I actually cleared".

If you have any questions about buildings, animals, or crops/garden let me know.  I grew up on a farm and have been fixing/building things pretty much since I started to walk.
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 9:21:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Awesome thread.  Take a lot of pictures.  Also go to Google maps and save images from their satellite view.  Do the same with Bing.  The images will be different ages and can give you a glimpse back in time.  If you need help with that let me know.  I bought my project house in 2016 but the satellite images at that time were from 2008.

Also if you can get someone with a drone to do a fly over and take video and pictures that will be good as well.  I was wanting to that every month but I'm lucky if I get it done every 4 to 6 months.  That historical record helps with things like "when did the roof start losing shingles" or "how much of the brush have I actually cleared".

If you have any questions about buildings, animals, or crops/garden let me know.  I grew up on a farm and have been fixing/building things pretty much since I started to walk.
View Quote
Someone posted link to website that allowed you to check sat images from way back, like 50s, 60s etc.
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 10:11:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Cool, looking forward to following this thread and your projects.
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 11:45:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 8:56:42 AM EDT
[#12]
I will be getting some pictures up as soon as I have a bit more time. We are actively moving into the house now and box life is chaotic.

I also forgot to mention that we have a 2.5 year old and a 6 month old.
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 9:08:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I will be getting some pictures up as soon as I have a bit more time. We are actively moving into the house now and box life is chaotic.

I also forgot to mention that we have a 2.5 year old and a 6 month old.
View Quote
Lol, youll be unpacking for years, ask me how i know. I bought old farmhouse 3.5 years ago, it literally never ending. Projects galore, etc. my property was neglected and the yard work been crazy ( 10 acres)

Good luck and look forward to pics
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 10:40:28 AM EDT
[#14]
In.
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 1:27:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Lol, youll be unpacking for years, ask me how i know. I bought old farmhouse 3.5 years ago, it literally never ending. Projects galore, etc. my property was neglected and the yard work been crazy ( 10 acres)

View Quote
Definitely. We’ve been in our current house since June 2016 and I feel like we were just getting settled and organized. Time to move!
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 4:01:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Definitely. We’ve been in our current house since June 2016 and I feel like we were just getting settled and organized. Time to move!
View Quote
I was in my last house for 10 years.  My family moved into our current house a little over a year ago.  I finally have *most* things where I want them.  Now it's time to tear off a dilapidated deck and tear out a failing retaining wall... it's never ending, but I wouldn't have it any other way.
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 10:51:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Someone posted link to website that allowed you to check sat images from way back, like 50s, 60s etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Google earth is what I use.
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 3:32:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Me too.

I'm up 200 across exit 48, about 5 miles south of Great Falls.

How far does that put you?

I'd love to buy local honey from you when you get it going. I know quite a good many folks that are looking for a new supplier. Our regular is getting worse in health, and he's not as reliable as before, and he probably won't be able to keep doing it too many more years.
View Quote
We are just south of Winnsboro so maybe 35 mins from Great Falls.

We have a lot of projects and ideas that we want to get rolling, maybhave to push the bees further up the list.
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 4:01:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Buy yourself a metal detector and enjoy the artifacts you find - and post pictures of those, too.

We live in a house built (with several others) in what used to be a field on an old farm.  The farm house is long gone.  We got my oldest son a cheap little metal detector when he was about 12 or 13 and he went all around the yard digging up nails, bottle caps, etc. from when the house was built.  But, as he expanded his range and worked over the empty lot (we bought it a couple years after we bought the house/lot we live in) he eventually got down to the woods at the edge of the old field.  He found a 50 cent piece from back in the 30's.

My dad told him it was probably some guys pay for the day and he lost it while sitting in the shade of those trees while eating lunch or taking a break/getting a drink of water (there's a creek down there, just off in the woods.)

Hard to tell what you might find on your property, as old as it is.
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 4:11:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Buy yourself a metal detector and enjoy the artifacts you find - and post pictures of those, too.

We live in a house built (with several others) in what used to be a field on an old farm.  The farm house is long gone.  We got my oldest son a cheap little metal detector when he was about 12 or 13 and he went all around the yard digging up nails, bottle caps, etc. from when the house was built.  But, as he expanded his range and worked over the empty lot (we bought it a couple years after we bought the house/lot we live in) he eventually got down to the woods at the edge of the old field.  He found a 50 cent piece from back in the 30's.

My dad told him it was probably some guys pay for the day and he lost it while sitting in the shade of those trees while eating lunch or taking a break/getting a drink of water (there's a creek down there, just off in the woods.)

Hard to tell what you might find on your property, as old as it is.
View Quote
If its anything like my property, he’ll find endless amounts of old barb’d wire fencing and 3-4” nails.
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 7:40:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Been here over 25 years and still havent unpacked everything.
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 8:35:02 AM EDT
[#22]
In on one.

Let's see that project list.
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 12:59:17 PM EDT
[#23]
A few quick photos. We have been running all over trying to get moved, unpacked, and wrangle the kiddos.

Attachment Attached File

Having a hard time getting pics that are small enough to upload.
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 3:20:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Cool pic

Whats that back left out building ? Looks like you got various shops, they will come in handy

As far as pics, ive ran into similar, either edit pic thru app or if you have fb, send it to wife and then save as, somehow this saves it better for arf uploading
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 3:31:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Looks like a beauty.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 9:34:15 AM EDT
[#26]
There are five outbuildings in the property. The stone building to the left is a pump house that supplies water to the barns and the building behind that is a storage building that we would like to convert into a guest cottage.

We spent all weekend unpacking and moving more stuff from the old house.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 10:44:28 AM EDT
[#27]
https://www.historicaerials.com/viewer

Check this out when ya get chance.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 12:02:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 2:50:22 PM EDT
[#29]
A few more pictures.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The house is in pretty good shape compared to SWIRE’s project. The family we bought it from was living there and we are now officially moved in.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 2:52:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
https://www.historicaerials.com/viewer

Check this out when ya get chance.
View Quote
Thanks. I’ll check it out.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 1:58:51 AM EDT
[#31]
nice!
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 10:04:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 8:56:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Moments like this make the work involved in living out in the country worthwhile

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 8:57:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Absolutely !
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 9:04:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That. Is.  GORGEOUS!!!!!

I'm envious.  It looks to me like a lot of work has been done on it already!  That's awesome (I'm assuming the work was done well.)

I use a free program called Photoscape to resize and edit pics.

I upload the resized pics to fototime, which is our photo hosting site.  It's a paid site, but I have zero hassles, so it's worth it to me because I'm not very techy.

I look forward to seeing more of your house.

So VERY excited for you!

ETA:  Can you get closer pics of the capitals/column tops?

Inquiring nerds want to know.
View Quote
I am using the Compress app for now.

Here are a few pictures of the columns. I don’t know the history of them but they shell, for lack of a better term, is aluminum.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 4:27:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Awesome Place.  Would love to see some pics of the inside of house and the various outbuildings if you have an chance
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 11:02:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 1:25:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Yea not original. Once we are more settled I’d like to do some research on the history of the place and try to get a better understanding of what was built or added when.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 1:38:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Rat wife = jealous

Nice find.

Need pics of the inside
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 3:01:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Yea not original. Once we are more settled I’d like to do some research on the history of the place and try to get a better understanding of what was built or added when.
View Quote
If you get time, run the deeds back to originals, ive gone back to 1900s on my property.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 3:18:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Are the graves of the family cemetery marked?
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 4:08:43 PM EDT
[#42]
There is just something about normally scaled farm/ag buildings that I like, like the stone buildings OP has.  Modern big ag. "farms" just don't do it for me.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 5:48:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 6:55:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Agreed on stone buildings.

Rant:

Modern construction bothers me in this way, pet peeve if you will, that everything is built to last about 50 years.

After 50 years, cookie-cutter houses, pole barns, any other stick structure, will be about done.

Can you squeeze more out of it? Maybe, maybe with major remodel/repairs. But they are certainly in the "everything is falling apart" state of affairs. Modern houses with manufactured I beams, OSB everything, the entire house is basically glued/pressed saw dust .

We have the technology (actually, the tech is thousands of years old) to make buildings that simply last for centuries.

If I'm ever crazy enough (or wealthy enough) to build again, its going to be either rebar & concrete to steel rafters, or a steel house on thick concrete foundation. There will be ZERO structural wood. I want a house that my children's children can live in w/o rebuilding it, something that you can pass down, not the throw-away buildings we make today.

/rant
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 6:58:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 8:36:36 AM EDT
[#46]
I always meant to ask what your username was, but never got around to it.

Looks like a really great place. I'm interested in seeing the progress as it transpires.

Cool of you to share that with us.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 2:21:13 AM EDT
[#47]
Cool.

That would be a very expensive place in Utah.  You really can't find anything like it here unfortunately.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 12:09:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Brothers hs buddy bought and old stone farm house.
Gutted the insides completely, new plumbing, wiring and most importantly properly insulated the place by making the exterior walls thicker.
Saved al the natural quarter sawn oak trim. In the end it wasn't enough, had to have some new stuff made to match old stuff.

Spent lots of money but the place is fantastic! Like walking into the late 1800's.

Very few "restorations" of old homes look decent, too much "updating" which when your done you have an old looking house that is modern on the inside and it just doesn't work, its always a let down.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 10:50:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I always meant to ask what your username was, but never got around to it.

Looks like a really great place. I'm interested in seeing the progress as it transpires.

Cool of you to share that with us.
View Quote
Here I am!

We are very excited about this place. It’s gonna be enough house and space to have some fun and raise a bunch of kids.

We don’t have internet setup at the house yet but once I do I hope to post more and will have more photos of the interior. I don’t like posting and uploading photos from a phone.

Nothing too exciting happened this weekend; fixed a toilet, cut the grass, moved our five laying hens and chicken tractor over to the new house, had some guests over and smoked a few chickens.

Who needs a truck? I bet we got some good looks driving up 77.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 11:12:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Lol,  food looks great, id suggest finding a 3/4 - 1 ton long bed beater truck, youll need it, lol.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top