BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 12:56:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lol,  food looks great, id suggest finding a 3/4 - 1 ton long bed truck, youll need it, lol.
View Quote
Yeah we need one. We’ve needed one for a while. Trying to put it off as long as possible.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 11:56:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 11:59:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 12:56:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That's a freakin' awesome chicken tractor!  Would like details on how you built it.

But I have to ask....the chickens you raised..are they the ones on the grill?  

Die-tryin is right.  You own an olde house now.  You need a truck.
View Quote
These chickens survived!

I’ll have to take some more pics of the tractor. It is designed by John Suscovich from CT.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 11:34:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Here are a few more pictures of the Suscovich chicken tractor.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

It was designed to be used for pastures meat birds. I move it every day or two depending on the chickens impact on the ground and my schedule. Everything is suspended so you don’t have to go in to move feeders or water before moving. There are carriage bolts on the corners that act as axels for the plastic wheels you see on the ground. Lift it up, pop the wheels on, move forward, and take wheels off.

Eventually I would like to get more egg birds and move to a mobile coop system with electro netting.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 11:39:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Why not free range them during the day ? With a coop, they will go in at night on their own.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 11:51:23 AM EDT
[#7]
This is the system we had at the suburban house and we’ve just transferred it over here.

We had two of them escape during the transfer process and pooped on the patio. I’d like to avoid that if possible.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 10:28:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 1:31:58 AM EDT
[#9]
When our two birds were free ranging without my permission for a few hours they spent most of their time in the mulched beds digging.

I did buy a hard copy of Suscovich’s book. The plans were fairly detailed in some regards and lacking in others. I had to wing it in some areas. One of the reasons I chose this design was that we were in a neighborhood and the chickens moved thru both the front and backyard so we wanted a tractor that looked neat and well made.

Nothing too exciting going on around here lately. Trying to get a closet painted and new flooring added so we can unpack some boxes into a permanent home.

Before:
Attachment Attached File

During:
Attachment Attached File

I also decided to add two receptacles as part of the closet remodel.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

And I spent an hour or two speaking with some of the descendants of the original owners of the house. Most of the neighbors are related to the original owners. One of the older couples had a yard sale at an old general store that they used to use for auction storage. I’m a sucker for vises so I bought this little guy and spent some time getting to know them. They offered to do some tractor work for us and said they have old photos and history of the house.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 10:37:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 11:17:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah luckily all the crawlspace areas at this house are legitimate crawlspaces. Luckily most of the house is on a basement with joists at about 7 foot. I’ll have to take some time to get more pictures.
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 5:01:22 PM EDT
[#12]
We’ve had a lot going on the past few weeks. I hired a neighbor to cut the pastures so now I can get a better idea of what we are working with as far as the contour of the land. We need to get a fence plan together now. There is a board fence around much of the property but it’s rickety and won’t be suitable for the animals we want.

Attachment Attached File

I almost ran over this little guy on the way to work one day. Now we have a dog, his name is Castle.

Attachment Attached File

I was working on our other house and go home late to the sound of rushing water coking from the farm house. I run inside and can hear water rushing under the kitchen floor but no water in the house. Run back out and see 3” of water at the bottom of the basement steps.

We had a CPVC pipe connection fail and flooded the whole basement with a few inches of water. We have a sump pump but it’s not hooked up to run automatically so I was able to get the water out and then start pulling stuff out of the basement. Luckily it’s unfinished and we had boxes and bins from our old attic stored in the basement so we didn’t lose much.

Failed connection
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 5:05:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Attachment Attached File

Castle helping me track down these pipes and dry out the crawlspace.
Attachment Attached File

We also had a birthday party for my 3 year old and the chickens have been producing well. Over all pretty good couple weeks. ??

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 12:35:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 9:01:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Castle helping me track down these pipes and dry out the crawlspace.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/107188/5F48C5CC-04B9-49CC-A1DC-EDF4473EE2FC_jpeg-1087868.JPG
View Quote
Castle is a good boy helping out!  Please tell me those AC / Heat Pump outdoor units are NOT actually in use / working!  That is pretty much the worst case scenario short of being in a closet for performance and efficiency.  Under a deck / next to the brick wall is killing those units.

Good luck with the house and now you get to add more plumbing experience to your resume.  Glad you didn't lose much.
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 9:49:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Please tell me those AC / Heat Pump outdoor units are NOT actually in use / working!  That is pretty much the worst case scenario short of being in a closet for performance and efficiency.  Under a deck / next to the brick wall is killing those units.
View Quote
I was thinking the same thing.  I've never seen them installed under a deck before but with old houses there are lots of crazy things that shouldn't have been.
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 7:00:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Those units are not in use. The Second floor is cooled by a unit in the attic and the first floor has three mini split units. The white pipes in the picture are for the mini split system.

I know almost nothing about HVAC. We also have an old furnace and ac unit in the basement that was once used for the first floor. We had an HVAC company service the attic unit and he also took a look at the basement unit. He said it was about 18 years old and was able to jump start it and get it running. I don’t know why the previous owner installed the mini split system
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 7:27:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Someone posted link to website that allowed you to check sat images from way back, like 50s, 60s etc.
View Quote
This won't work for the OP. However it will give him an idea as to what is out there if you look hard enough..

Old timey picture from above...
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 12:26:44 PM EDT
[#19]
We have been very busy with the old house. Trying to get it ready to rent and haven’t done much at the farm.

I’ll try to get some interior pictures this weekend.

One of my next projects will be figuring out some lighting issues. Some of the lights are strange in this house and some bedroom lights don’t work at all.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 12:51:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
We have been very busy with the old house. Trying to get it ready to rent and haven’t done much at the farm.

I’ll try to get some interior pictures this weekend.

One of my next projects will be figuring out some lighting issues. Some of the lights are strange in this house and some bedroom lights don’t work at all.
View Quote
Sounds like you might be happier to rewire some stuff, even if it means pulling the walls.

Old houses can suck for wiring. Lots of add-ons.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 12:56:15 PM EDT
[#21]
I haven’t looked into the problem at all yet.

I’d like to avoid removing this he bead board. The upstairs walls and ceilings are all tongue and groove bead board planks.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 1:05:21 PM EDT
[#22]
These interior pictures are from the initial viewing and possibly the day of inspections.

Master bath and bedroom

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Bedrooms
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

This one is our guest room and will eventually be an office.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 1:09:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Living room dining room and playroom/sitting room
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 1:13:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 1:14:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 2:51:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Yes, we will be keeping our “old” house as a rental and have put off a lot of little projects there that need to be complete so we can list it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 12:19:10 PM EDT
[#27]
This sounds creepy, but I inspected your house years ago when I was an insurance inspector.  It was for a new homeowner policy, not for a claim.

It's in a GREAT location!  Glad you are buying it to fix it up more.  It's a great house in a wonderful area.  I'm not far away, on the east side of Blythewood on a few acres in a 1920's farmhouse my great grandparents built.  Good to see a neighbor here.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 1:47:14 PM EDT
[#28]
How is the new house handling this cold snap?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top